Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #1

Charleston delivery on Monday

We are taking delivery of our Charleston on Monday. Trading our Berkshire, we really like this coach but felt we needed more room in the bath and I wanted the better stability of a tag. Anything in general we need to be aware of with the Charleston. Thanks in advance.
blackttr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Be sure to post pics of your new toy when you get it. We're looking forward to seeing the new ones. Where did you get it?
Old 05-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #3

Congrats on the new coach and good luck with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Be sure to post pics of your new toy when you get it. We're looking forward to seeing the new ones. Where did you get it?
X2!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #4

So far I must say that the quality of build was much better with our Berkshire. I realize that thing will need adjusted but there are so many things that need attention. Latest issue is a broke drain line in the shower. Poor fit from the factory caused stress on the line and it snapped. Now whole shower has to be removed to make repairs. Just worry what issues that will cause. I only have 400 miles on the coach.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #5

Hate to hear things like this. One would think (hope) that a higher end coach would have a better build quality. I guess that theory just went out the window!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #6

I too thought that a higher end coach would have a better build quality. Just not sure where quality control came in to play on final inspection. It's not like they are building a 100 of these a day. Hopefully we will get past the fit and trim issues and begin enjoying our coach. On a plus side Forest River did agree to pay for repairs that had to be done at an independent dealer. Couldn't get our coach back to the selling dealer without a major delay.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #7

what other little issues have you run in to so I can keep an eye open as I'm looking at the Charlston bunk model if I can find a dealer that has one.....
gershwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #8

We had a pretty big issue with the shower drain, it cracked due to stress on the pipe. Cut too long at the factory. Cargo doors needed to be realigned after the ride home. Speaker cover fell off and won't stay attached, broken ear tab. Icon light on the LCBU came loose and now it doesn't work. Most are minor repairs that I believe can be easily fixed. It's just the issue of quality control.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #9

Not to get off topic - but I did just read that Discovery just came out w/ a tag axle bunk model. However, I can't for the life me understand the configuration of their bunks. They are at the back of the coach in a closet w/ no windows and not laid out very well - at least I didn't care for it at all.

Do you find the doors on the bunk area a nice addition or do they get in the way?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #10

We took a little break in trip over the weekend. When we got home and started to unload the coach I found nearly a quarter inch of water in all our cargo bays. Not sure how the water got in the bays. Our outside TV was completely wet. I don't think this is an easy fix. Looks like water traveled across the frame rails and entered the bays. I just think this is a lot of water so I'm sure there is a major leak or else water from the road sprayed up and into the bays(drove home in a major rain storm).
Old 05-18-2011, 05:56 AM   #11

We heard from the factory rep. and they are taking our coach back to the factory for repairs. Has this ever happen to any one else? I'd like to know the process and what we can expect as an outcome.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #12
2011 Berkshire 390bh

It sounds like the factory wants to make sure that everything is taken care of correctly. Although it may be an annoyance, I think overall this is a good move on the factory's part.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackttr View Post
We heard from the factory rep. and they are taking our coach back to the factory for repairs. Has this ever happen to any one else? I'd like to know the process and what we can expect as an outcome.

sounds like standard operating procedure for a new design. There will be kinks to work out - the downside of a first generation.

sounds like they want to look at it as it will be an ongoing issue they want to get a head of and notify dealers
Old 05-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #14

Coach is on its way to Forest River. So far the process seems pretty easy, they have a driver taking the coach to their repair facility. Once the coach is fixed I'll go pick it up to see that all repairs are complete. We will be given a few days to look things over and then return home. I hope this works.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #15

I had many issues with mine when new primarily because it sat on the dealers lot for 18 months and was a parts coach before I bought it. The dealer was useless and after getting totally frustrated, I called the factory direct. They were great. They picked up the coach right after Thanksgiving and brought it back 3 weeks later in perfect condition and with a full tank of fuel.

They went through it 100 percent and adjusted stuff I didn't know it needed. That was 3 years ago and it's been problem free since. I wouldn't worry, they know their stuff.
UConnrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackttr View Post
We had our coach sent back to the factory in 2009. Forest River hired a transporter to drive it from our house to the factory and back to our house. Everything went well and all issues were fixed.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #17

On our 6th week with our new to us 2008 Charleston...a few problems,the most serious on being that the cooling unit failed and had to be replaced..big expense...our coach was not put in service till 2012..so it sat all this time at a bankrupt dealer in Florida..it was purchased by a dealer in Michigan who then sold it to the original owner...he kept it for 2 yrs and then we bought it with 12,000 miles on it...hopefully the bugs will be resolved...the issue now is our roof air...only the front one is recognized on our Duo Therm control which is zone 1...zone 2 is not recognized at all...any suggestions????
Canada Street Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #18
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Street Kid View Post
On our 6th week with our new to us 2008 Charleston...a few problems,the most serious on being that the cooling unit failed and had to be replaced..big expense...our coach was not put in service till 2012..so it sat all this time at a bankrupt dealer in Florida..it was purchased by a dealer in Michigan who then sold it to the original owner...he kept it for 2 yrs and then we bought it with 12,000 miles on it...hopefully the bugs will be resolved...the issue now is our roof air...only the front one is recognized on our Duo Therm control which is zone 1...zone 2 is not recognized at all...any suggestions????
The thermostat and the AC need top be programmed to recognize one another. This is done with a set of dip switches. The procedure is outlined in the owners manual for the thermostat. If you search the forums, you'll find a few posts with the information as well.

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #19

We had the same problem with one unit not being recognized. For us, the dip switches were fine. The communications cable (the one with RJ-45 ends) was bad. That was replaced and all has been well with it since.
goscubadive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #20

We,ve decided to stay in Florida for the rest of december,made an appointment at a local rv place,recommended to me,to get an oil change,grease job and they,ll also look into my a/c problem...will keep you posted of the results...will let you know friday...have a good week all
Canada Street Kid is offline   Reply With Quote