Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #1

House Batteries

Looking for some wisdom here. All input regarding house batteries would help. I Need to replace 4 6v and am wondering what others are doing. Thanks, Frank
frodmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #2

why do you 'need' to replace them?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #3

my '14 Palazzo was built in March 2014, with the stock 6v batteries doing pretty fine since then, THOUGH.... I also just replaced mine.

now, I didn't really 'need' to, no, but as we were traveling through the Huntsville Rocket City area for a few days, I saw several 'Batteries Plus Bulbs' stores, and decided to check one out when overnighting near it ...

DURACELL 6v Deep Charge 215ahr Golf Cart GC2 style RV House batteries were only
$99 each, and if you order 'online' and then pickup at the local store, you can add a coupon for it for another 10% off.
With the purchase of 4, and their 'core' charge, it was $510...
when I brought back my original old batteries, they credited me with $118 core refund...

so, the four cost $99 each, including taxes... and since I had time to take care of removing the originals, and installing the new Duracells yesterday morning, I took them up on the deal and 'ordered' them online, picking them up when they opened the next morning.

Last night was the first night 'overnighting' off-grid with the new batteries. I noticed that the 12.8 volts at 10pm bedtime was only down to 12.2 at 7a.m. the next morning, after watching TV and satellite for a while, the fridge on medium, some usage of the water pump, and a 120v fan blowing on me all night.
I'll admit that the AGS would probably have run the generator several times overnight if still on the old batteries.

: ) Enjoy...
Old 05-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
my '14 Palazzo was built in March 2014, with the stock 6v batteries doing pretty fine since then, THOUGH.... I also just replaced mine.

now, I didn't really 'need' to, no, but as we were traveling through the Huntsville Rocket City area for a few days, I saw several 'Batteries Plus Bulbs' stores, and decided to check one out when overnighting near it ...

DURACELL 6v Deep Charge 215ahr Golf Cart GC2 style RV House batteries were only
$99 each, and if you order 'online' and then pickup at the local store, you can add a coupon for it for another 10% off.
With the purchase of 4, and their 'core' charge, it was $510...
when I brought back my original old batteries, they credited me with $118 core refund...

so, the four cost $99 each, including taxes... and since I had time to take care of removing the originals, and installing the new Duracells yesterday morning, I took them up on the deal and 'ordered' them online, picking them up when they opened the next morning.

Last night was the first night 'overnighting' off-grid with the new batteries. I noticed that the 12.8 volts at 10pm bedtime was only down to 12.2 at 7a.m. the next morning, after watching TV and satellite for a while, the fridge on medium, some usage of the water pump, and a 120v fan blowing on me all night.
I'll admit that the AGS would probably have run the generator several times overnight if still on the old batteries.

: ) Enjoy...

Have 4 six volts, so I guess I need to start learning this. What is size GC2? FWIW, I see these at Sam's for $89:
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...prod3590228.ip

BUT, I also see size GC8 and EGC2 for more money. Unsure if they are worth more or just bigger. I actually don't know what will fit, but the 4 that I have now are unbelievably tight in the compartment. I'd LOVE to cut that out and make it bigger with a slide out shelf!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #5

those should be the right size to replace your stock batteries, but measure to make sure...

GC2 is just basically a code for Golf Cart Deep Charge/RV Deep Charge type batteries that are needed for your INVERTER.... not like other batteries that are 'starter' batteries with a more 'cold cranking amps' number.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #6

Only lasting 12 15 hrs. I used to get 36 hrs.
frodmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #7

Arrow

after several weeks with my new Duracell 215ah GC2 replacements, I am seeing a vast improvement for off-grid time on my Inverter versus the previous stock 5 year olds... even though I appreciated that the originals lasted that long, and could really continue if you wanted them to, especially with our off-grid usage over the past 4 1/2 years and 95,000 miles...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Duracell GC2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	204779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Duracell 215ah.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	204780   Click image for larger version

Name:	BATTERIES.jpg
Views:	111