Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
Archie and KM17
I cant fix anything on the fly, and have a new 2013 Charleston BH on the way. Are you guys constantly having to fix/solve for problems while using the product? I am so new to RV'ing that I have not even taken delivery yet - 10 more days. What should I be looking out for. I am purchasing from the same dealer Im sure. Advice/Opinions/Warnings? Thank you for any help and advice. RDCDallas

RDCDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
The product itself is a good one. I am on my fifth motorhome, third new one, and they all have issues. There is a "working out the kinks" period in all of them. Be ready to leave your unit at a service center, sometimes for weeks, to have issues dealt with. The biggest issue with this is finding a service center close enough to home to fix the kinks. It appears you are fortunate if you are purchaing from MHS because you are close enough to have them work on your unit. I am 275 miles from them so I have to scramble to find a local service center who will honor the warranties. My advice to you, when picking up the unit from make ready, be sure you spend the time to learn how everything works and be sure to look at everything. Make sure you have a list of issues you want fixed. I think they will fix anything but they will also let you leave with problems if you don't point them out. Make sure things like the radiator cap is securely sealed. I had this problem and it cost me almost $600 by the time I got it home. MHS will not respond to my letter requesting a refund for issues they created. I replaced the shower door because it leaked at the bottom. The lower seal, below the door, leaves a lot to be desired and water is the number one enemy of your motorhome. I couldn't find anyone that wanted to fight FR for a solution so I took care of it myself, cost around $200. I do not have the bunkhouse model. Your shower is not like mine so you may not have this problem. Most people spend at least one night at the make ready stalls to get to know their unit. We didn't and I wish we would have. The service folks are very helpful when you have an issue. There isn't a lot they can do when you're on the phone trying to solve an issue. The salesmen, mine anyway, will tell you to call them if you have any issues and they will do whatever it takes to get you fixed. Mine will not return my repeated calls even after leaving messages. You won't find a better "deal" from anyone in the country but be ready to have problems with your unit because they all have them. I have found several service centers here in the San Antonio area that will fix some of the issues so I ferry it to another one to fix the next issue. There isn't a lot of problems I can't solve on my own and the last bit of advice I have for you is this. If you can't fix issues yourself or can't afford to pay $120 plus per hour at a service center after the warranty is out, then you should not own one of these monsters. My only dissapointment in buying a brand new unit is I had hoped after spending the money I spent on it I wouldn't have any issues. I would also recommend purchasing the longest warranty you can get on the unit.
Good Luck.

Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
What he said....=)
i know its very tempting to be in a hurry to leave and get it home to start playing but try to do your best in making sure every single thing works and that there are no issues because good luck in gettting help later.dont get me wrong,they will fix the stuff but you begin to wonder if its worth your time,mileage,fuel,etc. For them to do it or just get it done near the house or yourself...
the great thing is these forums are the best for ideas,repair advise,and discounts....
km17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
Berkshire 390QS
Recommend you find a RV parks that is very close to where you are buying the unit then spend a couple of days trying everything and plan on taking it back for repairs. You might even stay at the dealership, some have hookups and that way your right there if you have questions. Plan on some problems then you won't be disappointed. Best of luck.

2011: 54 days, 2012: 218 days, 2013: 175 days, 2014: 196 days
2015: 188 days, 2016: 72 days,
2009 Berkshire, 390QS, and toad
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote