Old 06-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #1

kawakii power step problems

So i am having a problem with my power step,it didnt work when i bought the rv so i checked voltage into the unit and everything seemed to be ok.so i replaced the module.well that didnt fix it,i bench tested the motor and connected to the gear system it wouldnt work,i then dismounted the motor for the gear arm and motor worked fine.the gear system seemed to be fine as well.put it back together and the step worked great for about 10the times then stops working again,seems like the motor is putting to much pressure on the gear system after about ten times because i have to use a screw driver to pry the two of them apart.once i do though,i bolt it back together and works fine again temporarily ....anyone know what the he** is going on here?i cant keep doing this,its very annoying....thank for any help you can provide.

km17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It might help to give us the year and model of the motor home. Maybe it is a specific problem in that year, or chassis. Stated also steps didn't work when you bought it. Safe to assume this is a used unit with no warranty? Have you been in contact with kawakii, or tried to find a web page with diagrams and troubleshooting help? Just some questions, sorry, not much help.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #3

Sorry,your right i should have stated the info.its a 05 charleston forest river diesel pusher on a freightliner chasis.yep bought it used,no warranty.the place i bought it from said they would "maybe fix it if i brought it to them"but it would cost me more in fuel to get there and back than the cost of replacing the whole step with a new one.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the info. I moved you in to the Charleston section. Hope you get more help here from someone who has one. Hopefully someone will chime in.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #5

Lets hope so,thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #6

Km couple of wild guesses here for ya. A. Does that circuit include a auto resetting motor overload? Sounds as though any high torque DC motor needs rest to prevent burning up. Secondly these motors with the provided gearing and levers produce alot of troque. Any chance one of the shafts is forcings its way out of alignment causing the gears to bury themselves?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #7

I just purchased a new 2011 Charleston and am having issues with my step as well. I took it to the service center that FR suggested I use and they can't seem to get the parts to fix it. It works but doesn't come up all the way and it makes a trerrible racket for a few seconds. I have used the MH once and since it didn't retract all the way I hit a curb in a turn. I called the service folks after my return and they claim they can't get the part from FR. This part has been on order for over a month now.
I am also experiencing jack problems. I called the service center and they told me FR has a track record of putting too small jacks on their units which blows the seals. I did some looking at other manufacturers on my trip and my jacks looked awful small compared to them. I am having problems with my washer. The service center says they can't get parts from Splendide through FR. Says it's like pulling hens teeth to get anything out of them. My shower leaks like a sieve and I'm not sure what to do about it. The service center does not offer much assistance unless it is easy. The seals on my slides are either missing or continue to extend with the slide. The service center did a half-a$$ed job of fixing one of them but it came out with the slide on the first use. Went through a wind storm in Utah and it extended the awning cover. I thought I would lose it but it is still intact. I wonder why these awnings do not have covers on them like most other units do. All in all I am satisfied with the performance of the motorhome and like it. I would hope that I can get some answers from FR since this is their flagship. I received a lot of compliments on it on this 3 week trip, but I can't use it because of these issues and I don't know who to turn to. I have a trip planned over the labor day weekend but that is looking like a long shot at this point. Any help would be much appreciated.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
I just purchased a new 2011 Charleston and am having issues with my step as well. I took it to the service center that FR suggested I use and they can't seem to get the parts to fix it. It works but doesn't come up all the way and it makes a trerrible racket for a few seconds. I have used the MH once and since it didn't retract all the way I hit a curb in a turn. I called the service folks after my return and they claim they can't get the part from FR. This part has been on order for over a month now.
I am also experiencing jack problems. I called the service center and they told me FR has a track record of putting too small jacks on their units which blows the seals. I did some looking at other manufacturers on my trip and my jacks looked awful small compared to them. I am having problems with my washer. The service center says they can't get parts from Splendide through FR. Says it's like pulling hens teeth to get anything out of them. My shower leaks like a sieve and I'm not sure what to do about it. The service center does not offer much assistance unless it is easy. The seals on my slides are either missing or continue to extend with the slide. The service center did a half-a$$ed job of fixing one of them but it came out with the slide on the first use. Went through a wind storm in Utah and it extended the awning cover. I thought I would lose it but it is still intact. I wonder why these awnings do not have covers on them like most other units do. All in all I am satisfied with the performance of the motorhome and like it. I would hope that I can get some answers from FR since this is their flagship. I received a lot of compliments on it on this 3 week trip, but I can't use it because of these issues and I don't know who to turn to. I have a trip planned over the labor day weekend but that is looking like a long shot at this point. Any help would be much appreciated.
Where are you located?i have spent countless hrs on some of the same issues and have fixed them.maybe i can help you,i have torn the entirecoach apart and have a good feel on how everything works down to the dash electrical system.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #9

Kawakii Power step problems

I am located in San Antonio Texas. My problem is the dealer I purchased it from is 250 miles away and it will take 2 trips per occurence to fix my issues with them.
Thanks for your reply. Maybe we can converse on this forum or I can give a phone number and we can talk.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
I am located in San Antonio Texas. My problem is the dealer I purchased it from is 250 miles away and it will take 2 trips per occurence to fix my issues with them.
Thanks for your reply. Maybe we can converse on this forum or I can give a phone number and we can talk.
yeah,i had the same issue,they said they would fix it if i brought it back to them but fuel would have offset any savings.just pm me with anything i can help with.
keith