Old 11-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #1
Microwave vent

I have a 2014 Charleston with a microwave/convection oven that vents to the exterior through the side wall. The same oven has an exhaust fan on the bottom to serve as a vent for the stove top. On the outside there is a plastic vent cover made by Heng with a damper also made of plastic. It is designed for the damper to be held closed with a couple of tabs that pivot on rivets over the damper flap when driving. Their are a few problems with this design. First the darn vent is a good 9 or more feet of the ground, making it inconvenient at best to open and close. Secondly, who wants to run outside pull out a long stick or step stool to open the vent each time you want to heat a cup of coffee at a rest area? Thirdly, I tried just leaving it open, and I keep loosing the dampers. I have lost three this summer alone (17000 miles).

So I have a three questions:
1. How have other owners of pre-2015 Charleston's dealt with this vent? Has anyone made modifications that worked well?
2. The 2015 Charleston does not have an exterior vent. I believe they have the microwave configured to vent through a charcoal filter to the inside. For 2015+ owners: How well does this work? Do you have problems with moisture build up (thinking about scenarios like boiling water for pasta)? Do you still only have one roof vent in the bathroom?
3. Has anyone tried removing the microwave and configuring it back to vent to the inside?

Thanks in advance to all of you for your input...

statdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
Same access issue on Cedar Creek Silverback. Flapper is under a hood about 8' off the ground. So far this year, we just leave the tabs off the flapper without issue. You might consider just a piece of foam cut to size for travel and a yard stick ... easier than manipulating the tabs.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
I have a 15, it does seem to work ok and no moisture issues. There is a power vent in the ceiling just over the micro that I turn on when using which seems to draw out most of the odor and heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote