Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #1

Need help: discharged coach batteries

Today was the first time I'd been to my Georgetown 300 since Christmas. I pushed the switch to connect the coach batteries-- nothing! I was almost sure I had pushed the disconnect button when I left it in December, but it's obvious I hadn't!. Is there someway to start the generator to get them charged up again? Possibly using the battery boost button? The engine started easily. Please, what are my options?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

I don't know about the battery boost button. if it connects the chassis battery to the house batteries I would think that would work. I have had dead house batteries on a 5th wheel. I had to jump start the generator. it was pretty easy to do. just connect the jumper cables to the plus and minus terminals on the generator and it started right up. (of course, make sure you are sure which terminal is plus and minus!) it was much easier to access the generator terminals than to open up the battery boxes to get to the batteries themselves.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #3

Yes...the boost switch works both ways. In fact, with the engine running you probably could start the genny anyway since most BCC's will fire the solenoid when the chassis battery goes over 13 volts or so. Hitting the boost switch won't hurt though.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
I don't know about the battery boost button. if it connects the chassis battery to the house batteries I would think that would work. I have had dead house batteries on a 5th wheel. I had to jump start the generator. it was pretty easy to do. just connect the jumper cables to the plus and minus terminals on the generator and it started right up. (of course, make sure you are sure which terminal is plus and minus!) it was much easier to access the generator terminals than to open up the battery boxes to get to the batteries themselves.
I heard that!! Thanks for the help!
Old 02-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Yes...the boost switch works both ways. In fact, with the engine running you probably could start the genny anyway since most BCC's will fire the solenoid when the chassis battery goes over 13 volts or so. Hitting the boost switch won't hurt though.
Think I'll try that first! Thank you!!!
Old 02-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #6

I'm not positive how your Georgetown is wired, but on my Charleston if you plug the shore power in while you're stored, it will keep the house batteries charged.

One way to check would be to measure the voltage across your batteries with all loads off. Then plug your coach in and re-measure the voltage. If it jumps up a volt or two, it's getting a charge current. I've done this for years, and never had a problem with dead batteries.

It is also important to check the battery water level monthly when you're float charging. I use a Qwik Fill Battery Watering System (Qwik-Fill Dual 12-Volt Battery Watering System - Flow-Rite Controls MP-2000 - Battery Accessories - Camping World) for that. I have two of these kits plumbed together for my 4 house batteries. I just connect a hand pump to the battery bank, drop the hose in a gallon of distilled water, and after a couple of squeezes, the batteries are all full.

If your coach doesn't float charge the batteries, or if power is not available, you may want to physically disconnect the battery terminal from the coach if it's going to sit for an extended time. Even with a disconnect switch, the coaches usually have some parasitic drain.

Hope this helps!
Carl
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #7

It does, but no shore power in storage. It's been suggested to me to monthly go out there and run the generator until the panel shows a good charge. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #8

DISCHARGED coach batteries

I had posted this in the Charleston forum, and think it'd be worthwhile to get Georgetown folk help as well.
Today was the first time I'd been to my Georgetown 300 since Christmas. I pushed the switch to connect the coach batteries-- nothing! I was almost sure I had pushed the disconnect button when I left it in December, but it's obvious I hadn't!. Is there someway to start the generator to get them charged up again? Possibly using the battery boost button? The engine started easily. Please, what are my options?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 02-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #9

the answer is the same as I gave you on the other post. Use the boost switch while you start the generator.

2015 335DS
Old 02-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

Like ScottBrownstein said, or turn your disconnect switch to on and just let the engine run for awhile, it will charge up the coach batteries from the alternator.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
Like ScottBrownstein said, or turn your disconnect switch to on and just let the engine run for awhile, it will charge up the coach batteries from the alternator.
Yup, going to do that this afternoon thank for your help!! Yours too Scott!!
Old 02-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #12

Is your unit stored outdoors? If so, you could try solar panels to keep it charged. We used to have a travel trailer that we stored outside. We installed three panels on the roof, and it kept the batteries fully charged, even all winter long. Also gave the added advantage of increasing our endurance boondocking.

If you keep it covered, Solar may still be an option if you can remotely mount the panels where they will not be fooled with. (on top of the building, or even next to the building if you're on a lot where other people do not have access).

Just an idea...

Carl
Old 02-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #13

Yes, it's outdoors. I'm sitting in it right now. Motor has been running over an hour-connect switch on. Has not charged the coach batteries whatsoever. Ive used every effort to start the generator engine on battery boost on generator start nothing same with the motor off -connect switch on- battery boost on, genetator start-- nothing. Checked battery level during each attempt. No levels indicated whatsoever! Cant find the connections to jump start the generator. Think my next effort will be to rent a rv campground 50amp parking spot and try to charge the batteries. Hope that works. You might tell, at this point I'm not quite ready to take it to an rv repair business. Maybe after i try the campground?
Old 02-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #14

Have you checked the water level in the batteries? They need to be full of distilled water.

Also, can you measure the voltage across each battery? It's possible that one or more have gone bad and will need to be replaced.

I would turn off the generator and measure and record the voltage across each individual battery. Then start the generator and re-check the voltages. If the voltage increases, the coach is trying to charge them. If not, something in your EMS isn't working correctly and will need service.

If the generator isn't trying to charge the batteries, it's possible that shore power might, but there's something wrong that will need service.

Run the generator for 15-30 minutes, and then re-check the voltages at each cell with the generator off. Any cell that does not increase it's voltage is looking like it will need replacement.

Sometimes, if batteries get too run down (or run dry) they will not recover their ability to hold a charge.

Hope this helps! Please post what you find out.

Carl
Old 02-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckabrahamson View Post
Have you checked the water level in the batteries? They need to be full of distilled water.

Also, can you measure the voltage across each battery? It's possible that one or more have gone bad and will need to be replaced.

I would turn off the generator and measure and record the voltage across each individual battery. Then start the generator and re-check the voltages. If the voltage increases, the coach is trying to charge them. If not, something in your EMS isn't working correctly and will need service.

If the generator isn't trying to charge the batteries, it's possible that shore power might, but there's something wrong that will need service.

Run the generator for 15-30 minutes, and then re-check the voltages at each cell with the generator off. Any cell that does not increase it's voltage is looking like it will need replacement.

Sometimes, if batteries get too run down (or run dry) they will not recover their ability to hold a charge.

Hope this helps! Please post what you find out.

Carl
I believe he is trying to charge the batteries so he CAN start the genny
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #16

My bad!

To clarify: Delete "generator" and substitute "engine" in my comments....

My point being if no measureable evidence that the engine is charging the batteries is present, then it is pointless to run the engine to try to charge the batteries.

If the batteries are truly dead (0.00 Volts) I doubt anything will bring them back to life.

Just trying to help!

Carl
Old 02-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Just a reminder:

Discharged (dead - voltage below 11 volts) batteries can freeze at temps as low as +30 degrees cracking plates and rendering batteries "un-chargeable".

I would remove the house batteries and have them tested at this point. Your engine should have charged your house batteries through the BCC. The fact that they will not take a charge is a warning sign.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	130427  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #18

Do you hear the BCC solenoid click when you press the boost start? Is there a light in the disconnect switch and does it light when the batteries are connected? What does your battery condition meter (LEDs ?) do when you start the coach?

As others have said, you could have a totally unrecoverable set of house batteries, a bad boost solenoid, or a bad disconnect solenoid.

You can use jumper cables from the chassis battery to the coach batteries, all you need is the positive since the batteries connect to the same ground. If that does nothing, I would start to check the BCC components.

Don't connect the chassis jumper for long...just enough to see if the generator will start.

2015 335DS
Old 02-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Do you hear the BCC solenoid click when you press the boost start? Is there a light in the disconnect switch and does it light when the batteries are connected? What does your battery condition meter (LEDs ?) do when you start the coach?

As others have said, you could have a totally unrecoverable set of house batteries, a bad boost solenoid, or a bad disconnect solenoid.

You can use jumper cables from the chassis battery to the coach batteries, all you need is the positive since the batteries connect to the same ground. If that does nothing, I would start to check the BCC components.

Don't connect the chassis jumper for long...just enough to see if the generator will start.
Good suggestions.
I would start with jumping the chassis batteries to the coach with cables.
One other thing... you've said the the disconnect didn't seem to work and you can't start the genny.
Have you tried any of the other 12v things besides starting the genny?
Maybe we are chasing the wrong dog's tail?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #20

No to bcc solenoid. There is a light on the connect switch but it didnt light up. Battery condition has no leds lit up when running the motor. Guess ill have to take it to an rv repair afterall 😕

Tags
batteries