Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #1

new to me 2006 Charleston 400QS

Newest owner of 06 Charleston 400QS. On shakedown cruise last weekend I managed to zorch the inverter. I think the generator was running and I plugged into daughter's house with 50A to 15A adapter and heard a bang. It tripped the house GFI so I reset it and tried again. Tripped it again. Now no inverter output or indicator light on inverter. Chassis batteries are too low to start engine so there I sat. Finally paid $50 dollars to local RV dealer to come out and jump it to get engine started to see if alternator was working to charge chassis batteries so I could at least go back home(450)miles. So the questions are...I assumed I could run generator and plug in shorepower at same time. Am I wrong. Is there an issue with transfer protocol or equipment? I see there is a box with two contactors that should switch between generator and shorepower? Does the inverter charge the chassis batteries or is that just the engine alternator? New inverter to be delivered today. I did a "soft" and "hard" reset/reboot of the old Magnum Energy ME 2012 inverter and the "on" light came on and I measured 13.3V but no current.
rwr218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:29 AM   #2

There is a reset button on the inverter. Sort of like a resettable fuse. I thinks it's in the upper left corner of the inverter, but you may want to look around it. It's a kind of restart. I had the same situation with inverter indicating voltage but no current. That reset switch corrected the problem.
As for running on generator and plugging into shore power is not something I would recommend. Judging by what I know about transfer switches, you'll run into a phase difference of the two power sources and that can with damage or kick off that fuse.
The inverter runs a charger for the batteries. When the engine is running, the alternator also charges the batteries.
I hope that helped.
Rick Neff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Rick N. I tried the reset and no luck. I just installed the new inverter last night along with two new chassis batteries. Expensive lesson. Everything works as designed. Engine leaps to life now. So I can cross those two things off of the list. Now I have 100 other things to address. Keeps me busy in a good way.
rwr218 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charleston