Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #1

After the FROG Rally

We are hoping to get into the 2017 FROG Rally and after the rally go up into Michigan ( about a hour or so drive ) to stay for a few days. Does anyone have any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

2008 Georgetown XL 378 TS
Jack Durney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #2

Indiana Dunes State Park has a nice campground
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #3

I know very little about MI state parks but if your thinking of staying over a weekend at one of those in August, you need to make the reservations now. Especially ones anywhere close to the metropolitan areas.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #4

I am looking more for a Good Sam's or KOA Campground

2008 Georgetown XL 378 TS
Jack Durney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Join KOA and get their nation wide book....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #6

We stayed here a couple years ago. Nice park. And close to Frankenmuth (think Bavarian and giant Christmas store!).

www.PineRidgeRV.com--Pine Ridge RV Camping in Birch Run, MI

(Their website doesn't open using iPad or iPhone. They use incompatible software)
Allzright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #7

Hidden Ridge Resort if you like Glamping! They have every amenity and lovely sites. We stayed there before the rally last year...would go back in a minute BUT...make sure thy put you UP on the hill for the ameneties....not down by the office which is quite a hike.

https://www.sunrvresorts.com/community/hid
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #8

There is a really nice RV site in South Haven MI called Sunny Brook RV Resort. We have stayed there a couple of times when not renting house in South Haven MI. Here ia link to their site.
Rules and Regulations - Sunny Brook RV Resort
Old 12-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #9

I cannot help you with campgrounds. Greenfield Village near Dearborn is a large outdoor museum that contains the Wright brothers home and bicycle shop. Mackinaw Island is a nice daytrip. Take your bicycle or rent a carriage because there are no vehicles allowed on the island.

I can also recommend Picture Rocks National Lakeshore on the upper peninsula of Michigan. You will have to cross the Mackinaw Straits Bridge to get there. Stay at Munising park campground on the shores of Lake Superior. You can return to Vermont via Ontario, Canada.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Durney View Post
We are hoping to get into the 2017 FROG Rally and after the rally go up into Michigan ( about a hour or so drive ) to stay for a few days. Does anyone have any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Last year we camped at Hartwick Pines State Park and it was lovely. Then headed up to Mackinaw City. Great place to do day trips to Soo Locks, Mackinac Island and more. The UP has a lot to see. The west side of the state has Sleeping Bear Dunes and more. And, like Indiana, Michigan has some of the most dramatic and beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

Long Leaf Piners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allzright View Post
We stayed here a couple years ago. Nice park. And close to Frankenmuth (think Bavarian and giant Christmas store!).

www.PineRidgeRV.com--Pine Ridge RV Camping in Birch Run, MI

(Their website doesn't open using iPad or iPhone. They use incompatible software)
Exactly what we did after Goshen. Frankenmuth is a neat visit!!
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #12

Camp in MI

There are a few MI State Parks with full hookups. Someone has already mentioned Hartwick Pines which is one of the largest areas of old growth forest and a logging museum.
Another is Wilderness State Park near Mackinaw.
Also, as someone mentioned, make reservations. The MI State Park reservation system on the net is very easy to navigate. You can make reservations up to 6 months in advance.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:38 PM   #13

The KOA in Frankenmuth is a typical KOA. Tight spaces but within walking distance of Bronner's Christmas Store.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
The KOA in Frankenmuth is a typical KOA. Tight spaces but within walking distance of Bronner's Christmas Store.
Hardly within walking distance of the city and attractions in Frankenmuth, but, the sites are tight. We could not get into the first site with the 5th wheel but they had many others. Had a GOOD time for couple of nights. The city is charming. Bronner's is Fabulous. Go for the dinners.
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #15

I know you said you are looking for private campgrounds but Michigan has som great campgrounds on Lake Michigan. The don't have full hookups but if only staying a few days we do just fine filling up the fresh water tank on the way in and emptying the waste tanks on the way out. The aren't as expensive at the private. Whichever way you go Michigan is beautiful, have fun?
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #16

I'm not going to recommend a camp ground. But I will vote for the Lake Michigan side. Lots of great small towns, each has their own draw. You can tour Kellogg's and Meijer Gardens. Or get all the way up to Traverse City and tour the sand dunes and wineries. Lots of possibilities to go out charter fishing - from salmon charters to perch party boats. Lot of state forest areas to hike around in.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #17

From what we have seen all the Michigan State parks are Great !!!
Don't miss Sleeping Bear Dunes,,, up M22,,, and Platte River is a very nice Nat. Park,
With very large camping sites !!! Camp Dearborn is nice if you find your self close to Detroit ??? We Love The Henry Ford !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Camp Dearborn is nice if you find your self close to Detroit
When I was a kid, my parents rented a tent in Camp Dearborn every year for 2 weeks. Running around the park was great as a kid. Lots of room and plenty to keep us occupied, everything from a nice pool, huge sand beach, fishing, golf, paddle boats.. I fondly remember the morning exercise sessions, always run based on a song call "Chicken Fat" They must have had a suitcase of the records. Last time I was there, about 10 years ago, they were still playing in, but from an electronic recording that was really scratchy sounding!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #19

Last year after the Frog raley we went to Camp Dearborne and went to Ford's, Greenfield village. It takes 2 days for a proper look at village and museum, and 1 more day to see them build f150s.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #20

The Lake Michigan coast is diverse and gorgeous. Lots of things to do. We are having a family gathering at Petoskey KOA ( a very nice one). The advantage to staying in this area is that we can day trip to Traverse City/Sleeping Bear Dunes and then north to Mackinaw and Soo Locks (if you want to go north of the Big Mac bridge). If you don't want to go that far up, South Haven/ Saugatuck are great. We moved to Michigan 17 years ago and just started discovering it a couple of years ago. There are places on the coastline where you would swear you are in the caribbean. Just a gorgeous state. Do you like micro brews? No better state in the union. Local wineries and tons of things to see. If you book Petoskey KOA, try to book early. I believe that it does fill up early. Enjoy!

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog