Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Air Force Academy graduation

Our grandson graduates from the Air Force Academy in early March 2014. We are planning to camp in or around San Antonio in a recommended cg that is not too far from the academy. While in the area we plan on visiting the River Walk, the Alamo and any other sites of interest. We might have another couple following (with their unit) with one handicap person.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a campground? We will be pulling (our new) Prime Time 23 foot Tracer on it's inaugural trip.

Thanks!
Mike Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #2

The Air Force Academy is located in Colorado. Could be quite a drive to the River Walk. Seriously, Admiralty RV Resort is nice. Not sure how far it is to Lackland.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bullard View Post
Our grandson graduates from the Air Force Academy in early March 2014. We are planning to camp in or around San Antonio in a recommended cg that is not too far from the academy. While in the area we plan on visiting the River Walk, the Alamo and any other sites of interest. We might have another couple following (with their unit) with one handicap person.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a campground? We will be pulling (our new) Prime Time 23 foot Tracer on it's inaugural trip.

Thanks!
I think your need to check your information again - the Air Force Academy is located in Colorado Springs, CO. The academy is where new 2nd LTs are graduated from.

If your grandson mentioned San Antonio, he is probably graduating from Air Force basic training at Lackland AFB in San Antonio which is where enlisted personnel are graduated from.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I think your need to check your information again - the Air Force Academy is located in Colorado Springs, CO. The academy is where new 2nd LTs are graduated from.

If your grandson mentioned San Antonio, he is probably graduating from Air Force basic training at Lackland AFB in San Antonio which is where enlisted personnel are graduated from.

Yes, I stand to be corrected. He is going to Lackland AFB for his basic training.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #5

Just having some fun. One other thing. Lackland does have a Famcamp campground. You might call them and see if you could stay there for the graduation. Maybe your grandson could be the sponsor because it is restricted to military, dod and others associated with fed. The Famcamp has good reviews. Google lackland afb famcamp for telephone number.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bullard View Post
Yes, I stand to be corrected. He is going to Lackland AFB for his basic training.
No problem - glad to help and enjoy the graduation. I graduated from Lackland in September of 1960 and I can tell you it's a big day in their life.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #7

Lackland FAMCAMP: 210-671-5179 - my ALLSTAYS Military FAMCAMP iPad app (Free in app store) says in the notes section that guests are permitted (probably accomodating for graduation)

Info:
16 pull thru, 59 full hookup 20/30/50, pet friendly $20/day, $120/week - includes CATV + WIFI

Info pages says your grandson CAN sponsor you but, being former military (and a "Graduate" of Lackland while in basic his time is EXTREMELY restricted -- so plan now if you want to try using the FAMCAMP
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #8

Thanks everyone!

I have read about FAMCAMP. It sounds perfect except we might have another couple with us pulling their rig. The wife of the couple is handicap. We have camped from coast to coast with them and always do our best to reserve a site as close to them as possible to provide any assistance we can.

I do not read where sites can be reserved at FAMCAMP. And there is the "guest" thing. They list where they allow "guests", but I do not know if that is limited to family or not.