Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
If I can pull a 40 foot Fifth Wheel through Atlanta without crapping my pants (Ok, just a little, but still............),
Some of the worst times driving (without a trailer) have been through Atlanta. I'd rather drive the LA freeway.
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:13 PM   #22

It reminds me of those times in my prior life as a B-52 pilot. On a bomb run, once inside the IP ( "initiation point" for the unwashed), the entire crew focused on anticipating threats and getting to the target. Just like a good co-pilot (CP) my DW calls out the turns and lane positions BEFORE we get there. What a sight she is...map in one hand, GPS in the other and an odd twinkle in her eye! We've done Atlanta, Chicago bypass, Wash DC region, etc, etc. all in a GT with a toad. I tell ya, there's nothing like a good CP when the flak starts flying!
Old 07-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #23

I live in DFW and I try my best to stay off I-35 east or west when it gets inside the loop. In Ft Worth 35W is a mess on the north side and 35E is a mess down town.

I live North of Dallas but if we go to a race or camping south of DFW I will drive the extra miles to avoid taking either of them roads or 75. Two reason one is construction the other are the high speed drivers not paying attention. Mainly texting or updating facebook.
MarcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #24

Just drove that route last week. Stay on 35E, there's some construction in downtown Dallas, but you get through it pretty quick. Follow the signs to US75, then straight north. The road is finished all the way through McKinney, and it's an easy drive to Tahlequah after that. US 69 joins 75 north of Denison, 75 peels off at Atoka to go to Tulsa, but just stay on 69 and you'll follow it all the way to Muskogee. Then US 62 to Tahlequah.
DBigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsworld View Post
Texas, the only state I have been passed by someone using the shoulder of the road on a two lane road while I was doing the speed limit not once, but three times while I was going to and from Corpus Christi Texas.
The first time it happened scared the heck out of me.
Remember that in Texas, when there's a two-lane highway with hard shoulders, slower traffic is to pull onto the hard shoulder to let faster traffic pass when it is safe.
Yes, that includes when the slower traffic is doing the "limit".
Remember that the concept in Texas, especially in rural areas, is to "Drive Friendly" (alas, this is somewhat reduced in some areas of the state nowadays). When towing in Texas (and, really, elsewhere), I try not to impede faster traffic any more than I have to.
KellyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyG View Post
Remember that in Texas, when there's a two-lane highway with hard shoulders, slower traffic is to pull onto the hard shoulder to let faster traffic pass when it is safe.
Yes, that includes when the slower traffic is doing the "limit".
Remember that the concept in Texas, especially in rural areas, is to "Drive Friendly" (alas, this is somewhat reduced in some areas of the state nowadays). When towing in Texas (and, really, elsewhere), I try not to impede faster traffic any more than I have to.
Funny thing, I was driving my car and traffic wasn't backed up. I have never driven in a state where you are expected to drive on the shoulder of the road to let traffic by. Even in emergency I wouldn't drive on the shoulder at any speed, not know anything about the condition of the shoulder. Years ago I was forced off the road onto a hard shoulder by a passing tractor trailer and found the shoulder had chunks missing where I was. I blew a tire out and bent the rim. I'll take a ticket then put myself in the position that endangers my life or my family.
Saying that, I have pulled over and stopped to let traffic by, but never have I driven down the shoulder of the highway at high speed, {Speed Limit}.
I have seen signs saying to pull over to let slower traffic pass, but always there is a lane there to do so. Driving on the shoulder in some cities will get you a ticket.
Although I understand what you are saying, I have seen shoulders that are littered with anything and everything.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsworld View Post
Texas, the only state I have been passed by someone using the shoulder of the road on a two lane road while I was doing the speed limit not once, but three times while I was going to and from Corpus Christi Texas.
The first time it happened scared the heck out of me.
That happened to us this spring in Ohio while going south on I-75 in Murelene's Equinox. after passing us on the shoulder doing at least 80 the lady, in the Black F150 with a baby next to her, proceeded to run three or four pickup trucks off the road. It almost seemed like she was trying to commit suicide wia auto. Cops finally got her pulled over thank god.

Lots of Meth Heads in Ohio.. So many that there are "See a Meth Head call a cop" signs everywhere.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #28

The roads in rural Texas are much wider than normal roads. The extra space is for machinery / slower traffic to move to the side so the faster can keep moving. It is not a shoulder like most are used to. It is a lane wide. It is a good system that works. You just move to the right and the faster moves on. No driving behind a slower vehicle waiting for a place to pass. It's like a 4 lane without stripes. The problem comes when touristas that don't have a clue drive in the middle of the right lane, thus the signs for moving over. Also the rods in Texas are generally very good.