Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Jan Goldfield

America's Best Campground, Branson

Here we are crammed in like New Orleans drag queens at a Mardi Gras Ball. There is probably 6' between rigs and a little spot for your TV to squeeze in.

With our military discount we got 10% off the 35 bucks a day and another couple of percent for paying cash. So it cost us 27 bucks a night. Every site has a sewer. That's nice. Trash is picked up every morning. There are laundry facilities nearby in the campground. There might be a tree around here somewhere, but we have yet to find it.

It's 35 bucks in advance, non refundable. If you pay for a week and leave after 5 days, you do not get your money back. All money is payable in advance. Pay by check or cash. It's cheaper.

The people here seem hungry for company and conversation. And one thing.....they are all at least as old as we are.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #2

SOOOOOO is this good or bad????? doesn't sound like any place I want to visit.

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #3

Are you wanting us to come and camp there or come and rescue you?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
Jan Goldfield

We need rescue! Help <G>. I think we are state park kinds of campers, not commercial park kinds. Obviously this is a great place for lots of people - especially people who love to drive their cars in and out a lot. With their lights on. I'm surprised the drivers do not blow their horns just because it's dark out.
We will not return here.

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #5

Wish I could help. I hear you on the state parks. We stayed at a Corp of Engineers park on Canyon Lake just 2 weeks ago and it was beautiful with deer and 100+ year old oak trees. I hear there are also some nice parks in the Piney Woods north of Houston if you make it this way.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

We stayed at Branson's Ozark Country Campground, and it was great. It is a Passport America park, and they honored it every day we were there, even on the Memorial Day weekend! Most spots had trees, but they only had 6 pull-thru's with trees. They had 5 brand new concrete slab pull-thru's, but they were in the open. Overall we were very impressed with it. A little tough getting to (lots of turns and hills), but not bad. Dad pulled a 34' 5th wheel, and I had my 30'. I would have no problem recommending them.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
Jan Goldfield

Just so you can see what I am talking about, here's a couple of pics I shot today:

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #8

Have to agree with Pondlady regarding "America's Best Campground." We stayed here September 29 and couldn't figure out why Good Sam members would vote it Number 1. Yes it has full hookups and office was nice, but the sites were not level...back of travel trailer six inches off the ground and the front was 30 inches off the ground. We wouldn't go back there again. On our way home we did stay at a campground at Linnville, IN that had very low Trailer Life ratings (just about didn't stop here because of the ratings) and it turned out to be a very nice park and our site was level side to side. So it is hard to know what a campground is going to be like until after it has been camped in.
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #9

pondlady, I feel your pain............
once upon a time we stayed in a park similar to this one, maybe the same one, with our pop up. the roads were narrow, campers were stack on top of others, fire rings well not there, gravel everywhere. Loacalized trash bins only at front, but the shower house was nice.........

Never to return there and definately never with our new TT

Try staying at Indian Point Corp engineers, or Table Rock State Park both awesome places.

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #10

Pond Lady, is this the park where the(FROG) get together is thinking about? Are you the (ADVANCED) party? If so keep looking! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #11

Pond Lady, are you sure you are not at a RV sales lot? Youroo!!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
Jan Goldfield

When I camp, I want to be in the woods, not in a converted pasture where the owners have packed so many sites in, you can watch your neighbor bathe. There are picnic tables jammed between the sites, no place to park the TV. They advertise cable, but it's non existent according to neighbors. They advertise wi-fi, but it's censored by the owners. It's their wi-fi, so they can censor whatever they wish, but I think we should be told before we contract to pay and stay.
Youtube, facebook and trip advisor is blocked. Probably more but I haven't looked. I picked up an iPad so I could get unrestricted access.
In the office, they have a paper that states they will not accept money unless it has 'In God we Trust" displayed prominently. I was tempted to get a Magic Marker and use it before I paid. Bet they would have taken it. I have no problem with anyone's belief system as long as they do not try to impose it on me. I am quite old enough to have figured out my own, thank you very much.
Table Rock had no spaces or we would have been there. Serves us right for not making reservation ahead.

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #13
Jan Goldfield

YouRoo, as the advance scout, I can tell you that I have run into hostile territory. I will continue to scout for a proper FROG rally location.

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #14

You go girl!! Youroo!!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
2011 Berkshire 390bh

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience at America's Best. We stayed there in July and did notice some of the things you are remarking about, but found that they weren't much worse, or better for that matter, than most other campgrounds. We scouted around at some of the other "highly rated" campgrounds in Branson and found them all to be very similar to ABC. Most are very hilly and their definition of level is similar to the IRS definition of a fair and equitable tax code. A few of the campgrounds I would be just plain scared to drive into because of the tight turns and severe slopes. I certainly wouldn't rate ABC as a 5 star as Woodalls does, but it was adequate for our needs.

As for the religious aspects of the campground, that is pretty universal in Branson. It bills itself as old time America and part of that is the religious values. It is also the only place I have ever been where before every show I was asked to stand and be honored as a vet. As a Vietnam Era Vet I can tell you that felt pretty good and I can put up with some preaching to finally be recognized after 40 years. Branson is Vegas without the gambling and the hookers, but with a religious twist.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
Jan Goldfield

First of all,thank you for your service to our country?
Second, I think I am used to state parks, not private ones. We left Branson and are now in a corps of engineers park in Mountain Home, AR. The Corps of Engineers sure does parks better than New Orleans levees.
Pics follow after some exploring.

2009 Ford 150
Old 10-14-2010, 11:06 PM   #17

Also sorry to hear about your experience at ABC. We live 40 miles to the north in Springfield, Missouri and frequent all Table Rock campgrounds spring through the fall(no private campgrounds, only C.O.E. & Table Rock State Park campground. As far as being really close to Branson, you can't beat the State Park. But if you only wanted to drive just a few more miles(south), please consider Old Highway 86 campground(C.O.E.) A well kept secret of the locals here and those who have discovered it searching for nearby spots. It is very clean, with many water/electric sites. No sewer, but you won't be disappointed with the restrooms, or just bring your Barker. The sites are on a level arm of land with beautiful views of the lake. You can see The Branson Belle all lite up at night, and during the day see the Shepard Of The Hills Tower & Chateau Of The Lake.
Everyone has their own favorite places to watch fireworks on the 4th of July, but if you are passing through at that time of year, the City of Branson campground right by the Branson Landing we've heard is really nice. You don't even have to leave your trailer to see a great display. But some people want more than a parking lot to camp in, even though you are within walking distance to shopping, entertainment, & hardly any driving to speak of. I believe they offer W/S/& E.
My wife & I don't pay double the price for a campspot unless we have to, that's why we stay at C.O.E. campgrounds.
One of the best campgrounds near Silver Dollar City(privately owned) is Compton Ridge. We have heard from several local campers about this one, & they have a huge Halloween party that many keep returning year after year. Many have elaborate displays they set up on their campsites, with several awesome we're told.
Good luck & hope you give Branson another visit!
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
branson, frog