Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #1

Austin trip

Hi everyone,
The DW and I are planning to go to Austin in late March and are looking for RV parks with full hook ups in or near Austin. Looking for suggestions. We plan to spend about 3 days seeing Austin take a day to see San Antonio and plY it by ear after that. Also any suggestions on things to see.

Thanks
Ar-Newbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-Newbee View Post
Hi everyone,
The DW and I are planning to go to Austin in late March and are looking for RV parks with full hook ups in or near Austin. Looking for suggestions. We plan to spend about 3 days seeing Austin take a day to see San Antonio and plY it by ear after that. Also any suggestions on things to see.

Thanks
Go to RV Parky site. It will show all campgrounds with reviews. I used it going cross country in 2016. We lived in Houston for 10 years and did a lot of camping in the Texas Hill Country. Great sight seeing all around the area. Fredricksburg is not far from Austin...Nimitz Museum is recommended there. Google Texas Hill Country attractions. Love that whole area. PM me if you want more details on campgrounds. Safe travels.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinto View Post
Go to RV Parky site. It will show all campgrounds with reviews. I used it going cross country in 2016. We lived in Houston for 10 years and did a lot of camping in the Texas Hill Country. Great sight seeing all around the area. Fredricksburg is not far from Austin...Nimitz Museum is recommended there. Google Texas Hill Country attractions. Love that whole area. PM me if you want more details on campgrounds. Safe travels.
Also, March time frame is the yearly Bluebonnet spectacular all through the Hill Country. Various routes to explore the beauty of it all.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #4

This site usually has the most reviews:

Austin, TX Campground Reviews - Best of Austin Camping - RV Park Reviews

but this site lets you filter for sewer hookups (and other things):

https://www.rvparky.com/search?l=Aus...ffe001f8&d=&s=

It's not 100% accurate though. It says Mckinney Falls SP has sewer and I know they don't, so once you pick some favorites, check their individual web sites to confirm.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
Always Learning

We’ve stayed in the suburbs of Austin twice now. The first time, we stayed at a place called Oak Forest. Nice place, though we ended up on a “buddy” site where doors faced each other... and didn’t know our buddy.

The second time, we stayed at La Hacienda and really liked it. Pretty luxurious and well kept.

I’ve wanted to stay at Pecan Grove RV Park but they have so few big rig spots that I haven’t been able to get in. Plus, we are usually visiting with a friend and look for things with closer proximity to him.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. Saw Mckinney Falls looks great but the DW really wants sewer hook up. I haven't looked at RV Parky will do along with other suggestions.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #7

We lived in Austin for years until we went full timing. If you want to visit be aware the Indy cars are at COTA March 22-24 so parks are and will be filling up. Bastrop has several real nice parks with FHU service too. Check campgroundreviews.com and check em out.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #8
I Break Everything

We live about 60 miles from Austin, and have been to just about every park you would want for exploring the City. My wife and I are originally from Austin. Check RVparkreviews website, they are pretty accurate for the Austin Area.

Our "GoTo" park in Austin is Oak Forest RV Resort. Lots of space, full hook ups, good cable, strong wifi. There is nothing wrong with this park. Restroom and shower facilities are like being at home, with a heated pool and hot tub. We've stayed here probably 50 times. Close enough to the city, but far enough to get away from the noise as well. Park is well taken care of.

Next is Austin East KOA Holiday. It closed and reopened recently. It's a lot like Oak Forrest, minus paved roads. Some of the "deluxe" type site have nice outdoor furniture and functional clean Weber gas grills.

Lone Star RV Resort is on IH35 heading on the South side of town. When you pull up you can tell it used to be a KOA. Has all the hook ups, and it will do, but for us it was a step down from the other two in over - everything. Its older, clean, but not well kept.

McKinney Falls State Park - its a typical state park in a questionable part of town, sorry. We've stayed there quite a few times, without issue. It's difficult to get into due to how small it is, all the facilities are older. The sites are spread out but small. It looks like your in the "stick" but right up the road are all the stores you need.

Pecan Grove RV Park - IF YOU CAN GET IN, it's large, but mostly permanent rentals in the city. We've stayed here a couple of times. Lots within walking distance: restaurants, music, bars, etc.. If you're not staying in the park, which we usually do not, this one is for you. If you have to cook out, stir clear.

Circuit of the Americas is way, way, WAY out of town, by the airport and the race track. We've never stayed there, but I've been to plenty of concerts there. Parking lot, that's it.

In San Antonio, where our son lives we usually go to Travelers World RV Resort. It's close to just about everything with full hook ups. Concrete pads, newish tables, heated pool, nice facilities. Park is larger than it looks. On the bus route if you need that.

Admirality in San Antonio is okay. It's been there a while, the burbs have grown up around it. Very narrow spaces, but full hook ups. Not our top choice, looks of permanents and workers.

Greenlake RV Resort is fairly new. A little farther out than Travelers World around a small lake. We've stayed here 4-5 times when Traveler's World was full. Well kept, nice green grass everywhere, nice pads with tables, full hookups, pool. Just a little farther outside the City.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #9

Thank you I'll share this with the DW. This will be a big help. We are 1st timers to RVing and this will be our 2nd long trip.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #10

Arrow

...RIVER RANCH rv resort - stay under the bridges, on the Guadalupe river, in New Braunfels...
and have some German dining at the Alpine Haus, just a few blocks away : )

RV Parks in New Braunfels Texas | River Ranch RV Resort
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	River Ranch.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	194371  
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #11

Is the Armadillo Club still around in Austin? Used to hang there alot in the 70's while stationed at Ft Hood. Hippie Hollow too, at the lake.
Duneit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
Site Team

We usually stay west of Austin - out around Johnson City. I suggest you research Hamilton Pool which is a beautiful natural waterfall area. If you go, go early in the day since parking fills up later in the day.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #13
I Break Everything

Forgot to mention SXSW will be going on in Austin in March as well. It takes over the night life music and film scene. Lots can get crowded downtown. It can be difficult to find a place during this as well. But the city is ALIVE!! through out the day and night.

https://www.sxsw.com/

We usually go skiing this time of the year in NM. It's towards the end of the ski season, and lots warmer, can almost ski in shorts.

Have fun.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #14

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We are leaving in a couple of weeks gor a week long and have decided on Lonestar RV Resort. Do you have any suggestions on must see. We will be going to San Antonio for a day trip to.