Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 AM   #1

Big Bend NP

Looking for info about visiting Big Bend. Traveling in 32 ft Sunseeker. Camp ground suggestions, side trips etc. Heading west from Tennessee. Plan to visit Hot Springs NP, other than that nothing scheduled!

Old 03-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #2

Need more information. Do you dry camp, or do you require hookups? Most of the campgrounds near Big Bend are primitive campgrounds (no hookups). How far do you want to go for the side trips? Big Bend is in the middle of nowhere.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #3

There are three campgrounds in Big Bend National Park, two run by the park service and one that is run by a private vendor. The park service campgrounds are called Cottonwood and Rio Grand Village. One is on the east side of the park and the other is on the west side. Both are dry camping only with no water or power at the sites. Still, the camping in the desert is a great experience. There are shower houses, but they really expect you to conserve water.

The vendor campground is also on the east side of the park, next to Rio Grand Village. It has full hookups but the sites are small. If you back your rig into its spot, you will have room to put your tow vehicle beside your rig, literally under your awning. The next rig will be close to your tow vehicle. There are not very many sites at the vendor campground but again, the camping in the desert is beautiful.

If you go on-line at the park service's web page for Big Bend, you can see the park service campsites. To find out about the vendor sites, you will have to call the store at Rio Grand Village. The same vendor runs the campsite and store both.

Big Bend is wonderful but remember that it is a desert. If you go hiking, tell someone where you will be and take plenty of water. Most areas in the park do not have cell service.
rburns4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #4

One more thing, there is a third park service campground up in the Chisos Mountains of Big Bend. But, the road is narrow and winding and the park will not let rigs over 30 feet up the mountain. Too many have tried it and gotten in a bind. The nearest wrecker is about three hours away so it can tie the road up for a long time.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #5

If you are going to Big Bend, all the way from Tennessee, I hope you will also visit the Davis Mountains, Guadalupe Mountains, Mckitrick Canyon, and heck, why not go another 30 miles north to Carlsbad Caverns. In my youth, I hiked all over these areas, and it is spectacular, especially back in areas not visible from the road...

I have also flown my glider in the Davis Mountains area and around the Guadalupe Mountains, and it's amazing.

BTW, McKitrick Canyon has been voted (by wildlife photographers) as the most beautiful place in the State of Texas... and I have to agree...

Enjoy!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #6

Does anyone know if the campground near Carlsbad Caverns is still open? It has been years since we were there but I think it once was called Whites RV Park (or something close). It was a beautiful place but I remember that there were problems with the sewer lines and we couldn't do a full dump at our site because they had either stopped up lines or had not had their holding tanks pumped.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #7

Hop to visit all of those! In Hot Springs to night, want to overnight in Weatherford! How is Oak Creek RV
Old 03-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizarr View Post
Need more information. Do you dry camp, or do you require hookups? Most of the campgrounds near Big Bend are primitive campgrounds (no hookups). How far do you want to go for the side trips? Big Bend is in the middle of nowhere.
Was hoping for full hookups even if outside the park!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
MC9

We were there a year or two ago. We stayed at a nice RV park in Marathon and left the rig there for touring. OOPS, I see your motorhoming. You can drive up to Carlsbad caverns. There again we stayed in town. The Gates hotel is fine dining in Marathon.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #10

We are towing a small car behind our motorhome!