Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #21

Since this thread was started back in July about a trip in September, I wonder if the original poster, hotrodj125, ever made it to the Black Hill?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #22

YUUUUP, we made it there and back without any hitches. Saw the CORN PALACE, WALL DRUG, Mt. RUSHMORE, traveld the Needles Highway, walked the streets of Keystone, rode the 1880 Train and went to the western show at the Hays Museum. Then stopped at Lake Okoboji in Spirit Lake, Iowa for 3 nites. Nice trip, but I think we like Branson much better. Thanks for asking..............
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj125 View Post
YUUUUP, we made it there and back without any hitches. Saw the CORN PALACE, WALL DRUG, Mt. RUSHMORE, traveld the Needles Highway, walked the streets of Keystone, rode the 1880 Train and went to the western show at the Hays Museum. Then stopped at Lake Okoboji in Spirit Lake, Iowa for 3 nites. Nice trip, but I think we like Branson much better. Thanks for asking..............
Just curious, but what didn`t you like about the Black Hills? we really liked the area and can`t wait to go back! we stayed at Horse Thief Campground & RV Resort in the Black Hills . very nice place right on Needles HWY.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #24

It's not that we didn't like it, but we just didn't have as much fun as we thought we'd have-- but what we did do, was interesting-- guess we mightgo back again. We stayed at the same campground (HorseThief)-- not bad but was a little ruff gettin in and out and the site we had wasn't that condusive for sitting out and enjoying a campfire at nite-- tooo close to the camper next door. Needles Highway was interesting but the wife got a little scared-- probably the worst part was the long trip out there on I-90 seemed all uphill.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #25

We stayed at Horse Thief also when we visited Mount Rushmore. I think anytime you visit a tourist type area the commercial RV campgrounds have sites that are too close together.

We really enjoyed driving the wildlife loop road in Custer State Park. We were very impressed with Mount Rushmore. We were shocked at how little has been completed on the Crazy Horse Memorial considering it was started in 1948.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj125
If you thought a trip to Branson was better than black hills then you would really like pigeon forge Tennessee. Don't get me wrong, I love Branson, heck I am from Illinois and have been to Branson at least 15 times and was married at the Chalet on the lake. But it's straight up tourist and the sites are zeero compared to black hills but U are correct there are way less "attractions" like steal your dollar city, etc. to each his/her own I suppose🍻.
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #27

We were there in August of 2011 and stayed at the one cabin that is not actually part of the campground and we were able to look down at all the wild horses coming and going every morning. BTW, we are bikers too and had a great time leaving from the campground every morning and doing all the sites. This was stag with three of my sons and one nephew and will be coming back for the 75th Sturgis week with our respective spouses...
myhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #28

What is the average high temperature is for the black hills and Rushmore mid to late July? We love Colorado in summer because of the cool weather, but we are looking for a little variety this year.
Http://campingkansans.blogspot.com
Jhawkfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #29

South Dakota tourism says 81 for the high and 58 for low. Just averages. Last summer was well above the average. We went up there last year during the week of Labor Day and it was perfect.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #30

You can expect anything from snow in the morning hours to mid and upper 90's in the late afternoon. It is crazy and unpredictable. We were there for the 71st Sturgis Rally for 10 days at the early part of August.
myhemi is offline   Reply With Quote