Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Site Team

Buffalo River in Arkansas

I am needing help in planning a trip to the Buffalo River in Arkansas, and would greatly appreciate any/all advice....including where to RV camp, things to do, best time to canoe.... and best part of river to canoe on.

I went when I was a kid, and now it's time to take my 19 and 9 year old to let them experience the same. Probably only do a 4-6 hour canoe trip....as I know the kids won't make it all day.

I was planning to stay somewhere near to the Eureka Springs area, maybe even in Bull Shoals or (possibly over) at Withrow Springs state parks.

Thanks in advance for any help.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
phat phrog stunt crew

eureka springs is nice, and has many campgrounds. it is also very crowded as they have something going on every weekend quite literally. we went down there a few yrs ago with some non camping freinds and have always had it on our to do list. but it is very busy/crowded.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #3

We actually fish the White River twice a year, just outside of Mountain View, AR. We stay at "Jack's Fishing Resort". Trout fishing is usually very good, unless the water is muddy. Good Luck.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieadie View Post
We actually fish the White River twice a year, just outside of Mountain View, AR. We stay at "Jack's Fishing Resort". Trout fishing is usually very good, unless the water is muddy. Good Luck.
We rented some cabins at Mountain View several years ago, and did the cave and Ozark Folk Arts thing. That was also the first time my daughter got to experience a real drive-in movie theater there too.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We camped last May at Buffalo Point campground, here's a link... Campground Details - BUFFALO POINT, AR - ReserveAmerica - [NRSO]. It was quite a nice campground. It was almost 100% full in mid May on the weekends.

I kayaked that part of the Buffalo River, but in mid May, the water levels were very low and had to do some walking, particularly upstream. I understand that the water levels are high in the spring and fall. If you google 'Buffalo National River' you'll find sites that monitor water level.

I have lots of pictures from that trip in the member's photo gallery if you're interested.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Columbus 302 rs

I remember back in the mid-60's when locals would take potshots at canoeists to try and prevent the designation of the Buffalo as the first National Scenic River. At that time I was amongst other things the outing chairman for a nearby Sierra Club chapter and loved floating this beautiful river. The Ozarks are great country
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #7

We stayed at White Buffalo Resort Arkansas Trout Fishing Cabins on The White River & Buffalo River - White River RV Park

The rivers were flooded so we weren't able to float but we enjoyed the campground very much!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Big thanks to everyone who has replied so far. It is helping me in my planning, and places to look into staying at.