Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #1

Burn Bans in Missouri?

Ok everybody, we all know the drought situation here in the midwest. Labor day weekend we are planning a trip to Sparrowfoot COE campground on Truman Lake. We have never stayed at this park itself and we haven't stayed in any of the COE so far this year. Now I do know that the state parks here in Missouri are under a burn ban, But does anybody know if the COE parks in NW missouri are? I would love to have a campfire to try out some more cast iron that I picked up. Also any tips on this campground?
Old 08-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bnabird View Post
Ok everybody, we all know the drought situation here in the midwest. Labor day weekend we are planning a trip to Sparrowfoot COE campground on Truman Lake. We have never stayed at this park itself and we haven't stayed in any of the COE so far this year. Now I do know that the state parks here in Missouri are under a burn ban, But does anybody know if the COE parks in NW missouri are? I would love to have a campfire to try out some more cast iron that I picked up. Also any tips on this campground?
Just talked to a good friend in Trenton, MO (north central) and there is a burn ban there. Said he had cracks in his yard that were over 60" deep.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #3

Call the campground hosts' phone # from the recreation.gov reservation site. Have a great Labor Day Weekend as we are headed for one of the prettiest C.O.E. campgrounds around here(Mill Creek) next weekend!
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #4

Do these bans just mean no firewood, or does it extend to those propane campfires?
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #5

You are correct for all MO State Parks burn ban. We received rain yesterday and today being the weekend before the holiday weekend, so I hope others can enjoy a small fire in their pits.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #6

Some places do ban the propane fires because not everybody understands that a campfire that is run by propane is different then a wood fire. They see a campfire and throw the wood into their fire ring and start a fire.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandPandra View Post
Are you sure all state parks in Missouri? Reason I say is because we only camp in C.O.E. campgrounds in S.W. Missouri and it's really county by county. Recently, we camped at Baxter C.O.E. campground 2 weeks ago and no burn ban. This is located on Table Rock Lake in Taney County where Branson is located and would have Table Rock State Park included. I didn't bring firewood camping, but was pleasantly surprised to see no burn ban(I knew the Branson area has had some rain). Campground host said they(Taney County) were never under a burn ban. Call the campground hosts' phone # from the recreation.gov reservation site. Have a great Labor Day Weekend as we are headed for one of the prettiest C.O.E. campgrounds around here(Mill Creek) next weekend!

Thought about that after I made this post. It's crazy up here in the NW part with it being county to county. We are in Buchanan county and there is no burn ban but in Andrew county which is only 10 blocks from my house there is!! We have gotton a much needed soaking rain the last 2 days here in this part. Would love to make it farther south to your area but unfortunately we can't as school has started here. I've really enjoyed your pics.

@wincrasher I definately know there is a wood fire ban at that state parks. It is on thier website. However you can have charcoal and propane. We went to Wallace State park 2 weeks ago and used charcoal in the campfire pit. Camp host happened to come by and visited and never said a word. I even kept adding coals so that the kiddo's could do a couple s'mores. Not ideal but it worked. It was kinda comical to walk through campground at night to see how inventive everybody was being for a campfire.

@ Dunnnc I am not surprised at all. The farmers have been hit really hard. Thank goodness for the last 2 good days of rain but still way behind.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #8

@Caper, I should probably add that propane without wood. And even seen some at the last outing. We were also told no tiki torches. I quite understand that one as candles were ok. I'm guessing because they are higher up off the ground and closer to overhanging trees. We seen everybody using lanterns to the cintronella fire pots to xmas lights in thier firepits. Glad you mentioned that!

When MO State Parks first started the burn bans it was only certain campgrounds then as the summer progressed they included all of the sites. I should probably add that for those wanting to go later in the seaseon to check the states website, they update it daily and hopefully if we start getting more rain they will start to lift some of the bans. Here's hoping!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #9

**sorry I meant I didn't quite understand about the tiki torches
Old 08-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #10

Called the campground office and there is a burn ban in effect. Charcoal and propane rings are allowed in the fire rings. She did say that there is a possibility of it being lifted for the weekend if it rains. Weather predictions of hurricane Isaac show that if it stays to the west after it hits land that there is a good chance of SW and Midwest Missouri getting some moisture. Wouldn't that be nice!!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
phat phrog stunt crew

should be lifted with all the rain we have had over the past (labor day) weekend.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote