Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #1

Calling all Yellowstone Travelers coming form the EAST

Planning a trip to Yellowstone in June 2018 for the start of my Sophomore season. Starting to play with Maps and directions to see how we want to go and what we want to visit along the way.

I see that once in Wyoming, the map programs recommend to stay on I90 into Montana and sort of circle around Yellowstone, entering from the West back into Wyoming.

The alternate route which takes a little longer is routes 16 and 20 from Buffalo, WY and according to the maps programs take about 40 minutes longer to navigate.

So can anyone tell me if it is a nicer, more scenic drive? Will it be relaxing or will it be white knuckled pulling my rig up and down mountain roads that are curvy and dangerous?

Thanks!
Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
Insert witty title here

I did this trip this past summer. I took I90 to 14 across the Bighorn Mountains through Cody into E. Yellowstone. The Bighorns are gorgeous but steep. There are some pretty intense grades and switchbacks. I found it quite enjoyable but that's me.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #3

We crossed years ago on RT 14 which is north of where you are looking, it was no problem. Since RT 16 is named Cloud Peak Skyway and the map shows some switchbacks I suspect it has it's interesting places. If you are not in a big hurry and drive in a reasonable manner it should be no problem. There are sone pullouts on the maps so there most likely are some scenic views along there.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #4

This helped me plan...
Road to Yellowstone
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #5

We've traveled I-90 to Buffalo and taken both Highway 16 through beautiful Ten Sleep Canyon, then north on 16 to Greybull and west to Cody and on into Yellowstone many times and enjoyed the drive. We've also taken the north route from Buffalo to Sheridan and west to Cody. That drive has steeper mountain drives but we didn't find it difficult in our Class C. And the drive west of Cody into Yellowstone is very pretty! We wouldn't miss the chance to drive any of the above again!!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dp26 View Post
This helped me plan...
Road to Yellowstone
Article claims Yellowstone was first National Park, March 1, 1872. Google seems to agree.

Funny.......but Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas was established April 20, 1832, a good 40 years earlier!

Sorry to digress.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Article claims Yellowstone was first National Park, March 1, 1872. Google seems to agree.

Funny.......but Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas was established April 20, 1832, a good 40 years earlier!

Sorry to digress.
Truly, I'm not meaning to argue, but according to the NPS website for Hot Springs NP, it says: (just for clarification)

Hot Springs National Park was once known as Hot Springs Reservation. It was set aside in 1832 to protect the Park's primary resource, the hot springs.This type of Reservation was an early version of the National Park idea.Hot Springs was actually the first area in the United States to be set aside for its natural features.After Yellowstone was formed in 1872, Hot Springs was managed with it. In 1916 the National Park Service was formed and in 1921, Hot Springs Reservation changed its name to Hot Springs National Park, making it the 18th National Park in the Service.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
code.org

West Yellowstone

I can't help you with your route since we came up I15 to Highway 20, but if you are planning to stay in West Yellowstone, I have a recommendation for you. We just left there on October 4 spending 9 days at Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park. Very nice, well managed park less than a mile from the West entrance into Yellowstone. Be sure to check out Grand Teton National Park while you are there. Hope you enjoy Yellowstone as much as we did.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff34 View Post
I can't help you with your route since we came up I15 to Highway 20, but if you are planning to stay in West Yellowstone, I have a recommendation for you. We just left there on October 4 spending 9 days at Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park. Very nice, well managed park less than a mile from the West entrance into Yellowstone. Be sure to check out Grand Teton National Park while you are there. Hope you enjoy Yellowstone as much as we did.
Thank you... Saw Grizzly yesterday and DW made the decision that was the place. How about down by Teton? Did you find another camp location or just drive down and back?

Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #10
code.org

West Yellowstone to Jackson Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
Thank you... Saw Grizzly yesterday and DW made the decision that was the place. How about down by Teton? Did you find another camp location or just drive down and back?

Ron
Hi Ron:

We just made it a day trip to the Tetons. We went in to Yellowstone through the West Entrance, then south on 191 out of Yellowstone through the South Entrance, through Grand Teton NP to Jackson. Leaving Jackson, we went back up 33 to 31 getting back on 20 at Ashton.

Awesome scenery with a good bit of snow going over the Continental Divide in Yellowstone. Highway 33 out of Jackson and back into Idaho is a beautiful drive but with some serious climbs. Highway 31 through Idaho is all farmland and an easy drive. In all it's about a 250 mile trip, but one of the highlights for us.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:04 PM   #11

Colter Bay

Quote:

Ron
I am going out that way in May and June and I am staying at Colter Bay right in the Grand Teton National Park. They have full hookups. It got pretty good reviews. We are then going to Grizzly also for Yellowstone. We are staying 4 nights in the Tetons and 7 at Yellowstone. When are you going??
LarrysPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #12

We did the east entrance thru the Bighorns and Cody as well. Cody is a fabulous place with a great museum! absolutely beautiful scenery!!
TV=1997 F250 Powerstroke
manual tranny/commercial 19.5 tires / Rickson Wheels
Edge CTS Tuner/K&N Cold Air/4 inch exhaust
patrickwstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:25 PM   #13

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dp26 View Post
This helped me plan...
Road to Yellowstone
That is a nice write up!

'17 XLT Screw | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow Pkg w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | Bak MX4 & BedRug | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18

My wife and I are looking for our 1st travel trailer.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Planning a trip to Yellowstone in June 2018 for the start of my Sophomore season. Starting to play with Maps and directions to see how we want to go and what we want to visit along the way.

I see that once in Wyoming, the map programs recommend to stay on I90 into Montana and sort of circle around Yellowstone, entering from the West back into Wyoming.

The alternate route which takes a little longer is routes 16 and 20 from Buffalo, WY and according to the maps programs take about 40 minutes longer to navigate.

So can anyone tell me if it is a nicer, more scenic drive? Will it be relaxing or will it be white knuckled pulling my rig up and down mountain roads that are curvy and dangerous?

Thanks!
Ron
Make sure you pack some warm clothes. I've been to Yellowstone twice in mid-June and it snowed both times.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #15

We went in at the East entrance and not near as white knuckle as coming out Bear Tooth Pass to Red Lodge. When going thru Cody be sure to tour the Buffalo Bill Museum.

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #16

We did that trip this summer. This trip log I did of the journey might help:

Wyoming eclipse 2017
matwiyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #17

Yellowstone from the east

Hi Ron,
How I envy you. Yellowstone is my favorite place on this earth and the east entrance is my favorite way in. I pick up US-16 in Custer, SD. and travel through Buffalo, Wyoming to Cody. The scenery west of Buffalo will take your breath away. I stay at Ponderosa Campground. There is the Buffalo Bill museum and the night rodeo . For a very scenic day trip don’t miss the Chief Joseph and Beartooth highways. Be safe and enjoy. Don’t forget to share pictures.
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #18

Ron....we were wary of the eastern entrances and going over the top to the west as well. Since we wanted to visit Jackson Hole (great town!) and the Grand Tetons park as well as Yellowstone...we decided to dive down to I80 and then north on 191 then we just drove 191 to all three locations. Drive was both scenic and not difficult the whole way.
Recommend the Virginian RV park & use of shuttle buses in Jackson...Colter Bay inside of Grand Teton, and if staying out west of Yellowstone...the closer of the 2 KOA's there remains one of our favorites in the country. You might also try to get into the parks RV Park at Fishing Bridge on Yellowstone Lake which puts you in the middle of everything. We got lucky...you might too!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #19

Just left there, but came up from the south through Jackson, WY, which is an awesome place. Whole town is laid out in old west theme. Be sure to ride the gondola to the top of the mountain in Jackson Hole. Drove by the Grand Tetons on the road from Jackson to Yellowstone. Some of the most incredible mountain views on earth! (Didn't have to drive through mountains, just alongside of them on a flat road.)
Stayed at Grey's River Cove RV Park in Alpine, WY. It's a 30 minute drive south of Jackson and not much to write home about. But at $50/night for the five of us, it sure beat $110+ per night in Jackson.
Three years ago, we came in from the east into the top end of Yellowstone. Stayed in Cody, WY. The Cody Cowboy Stampede is one of the best if not the best in in USA.
We're not from WY, but I tell you it's one of the most beautiful, rugged and awesome states in the Union.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #20

I just went to Yellowstone this past summer. I went through Dubois and Grand Teton first. There is a nice KOA in Dubois backing up to the Wind River. Easy drive pulling a trailer into GT. I like history and left I80 to go through Scotts Bluff to see an Oregon trail museum, also Guernsey, WY on the way(There are other Oregon trail spots on this path- Chimney Rock, Independence Rock, etc.). Took a side trip out of Yellowstone to Cody. The Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody has several separate museums and is worth 2-4 hrs visit. Also tickets are good for two days. I was thinking of going through Cody next time. I wasn't pulling a trailer but I recall it was a fairly easy drive to YNP from Cody.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel