Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #1

Camping with 5ver in Houston, Tx

Anyone have any suggestions for camping in Houston. Be there June 21-23.
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #2

Don't know of anything in Houston proper but there are at least 3 state parks within 75 miles of Houston. Huntsville, lake Livingston and Stephen f Austin state parks. There are other campgrounds I'm sure, just haven't been to any.
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #3

I'm currently in a koa just southeast of Houston in a town called mont belvieu. It's a nice place. Friendly people. Full hookups and relatively cheap
rsibarra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #4

I am currently staying at the Northlake RV Resort in Spring, TX. It is just north of Houston. Close to I-45 and Hardy Toll Road. It is a gated park as well. Close to the International Airport and train tracks. So, sometimes it is not as quiet as I would like it to be. But a very nice place.

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #5

Thanks guys. Looking at all the parks you are mentioning.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #6

We like Huntsville, usually hit it a few times a year.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #7

Huntsville SP is nice, located on Lake Raven. You can see alligators there.
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #8

Houston covers a lot of area. I stayed at a Harris County Park on the Northwest side of Houston just north of the city of Tomball. A very nice county park that has 8, 90 degree, level, concrete pads with full hookup. The best price in the area -- Free-- with a 7 night limit. If you go to www.irv2.com and at the top of the start page click on "campgrounds" and then scroll down to Texas, about the 3rd item down from the top look for Spring Creek Park. I posted pictures and contact information for you to make a reservation, I was there the first week of April. Reservations are not required but would be best that you make them.

The park is fairly large and pretty busy with outside activities on weekends. Paved streets, basketball courts, walking/biking trails, picnic pavillion. Restrooms with showers just across the street from the RV parking area. One caution, make sure you have a 20' sewer hose, 10' won't do it. Water hook up may also be a stretch depending on where the city water hook up is on your 5er as electric and water are at the rear of the pad rather than side. There is plenty of room for slides. Picnic tables, BBQ grills nearby. No swimming pool. It is patrolled by park personnel and the sheriff. It is in the big city so don't leave anything outside when you are gone that you want to keep. It's not a high crime area but don't tempt anyone since it is open to the public. Other RVrs keep an eye on what's going on.

A minimart is about 1/10th mile from the gate, shopping, restaurants, groceries in Tomball about 2 miles away. They do lock it up at 10:00pm and open back up at 6:00am and unless there is a 911 emergency you don't go in or out.

I will definitely go there again, but then, my daughter lives about 6 miles from there.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #9

spring creek park. In Tomball FREE for up to 7 days stay per month. and full hook ups. You need to book early as they fill up since they have limited spots.

Harris County Precinct 4
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #10

I think your talking about spring creek park. Tomball is a nice Little city. Eat at goodson cafe if you stay there.

Goodson's Cafe - *TRY OUR LASTEST CREATIONS!"CHICKEN SUMMER REUNION"MARINATED CUCUMBER & ONION w/*BLACKEYE PEA & CORN SALSA & TOMATOOVER LETTUCE w/ MONTERREY JACK CHEESE"BBQ SHRIMP & ONIONS"Shrimp and Sweet Grilled Onions in a mild BBQ sauce***HOME
decent bbq here http://harriscountysmokehouse.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
Houston covers a lot of area. I stayed at a Harris County Park on the Northwest side of Houston just north of the city of Tomball. A very nice county park that has 8, 90 degree, level, concrete pads with full hookup. The best price in the area -- Free-- with a 7 night limit. If you go to www.irv2.com and at the top of the start page click on "campgrounds" and then scroll down to Texas, about the 3rd item down from the top look for Spring Creek Park. I posted pictures and contact information for you to make a reservation, I was there the first week of April. Reservations are not required but would be best that you make them.

The park is fairly large and pretty busy with outside activities on weekends. Paved streets, basketball courts, walking/biking trails, picnic pavillion. Restrooms with showers just across the street from the RV parking area. One caution, make sure you have a 20' sewer hose, 10' won't do it. Water hook up may also be a stretch depending on where the city water hook up is on your 5er as electric and water are at the rear of the pad rather than side. There is plenty of room for slides. Picnic tables, BBQ grills nearby. No swimming pool. It is patrolled by park personnel and the sheriff. It is in the big city so don't leave anything outside when you are gone that you want to keep. It's not a high crime area but don't tempt anyone since it is open to the public. Other RVrs keep an eye on what's going on.

A minimart is about 1/10th mile from the gate, shopping, restaurants, groceries in Tomball about 2 miles away. They do lock it up at 10:00pm and open back up at 6:00am and unless there is a 911 emergency you don't go in or out.

I will definitely go there again, but then, my daughter lives about 6 miles from there.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
Site Team

Rayford Crossing is nice. North of Houston.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #12
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

We just stayed a month at Omega Farms RV Park in Willis, TX (Mile marker 94, on I-45) and it was beautiful, quiet, friendly, clean and reasonably priced. Though the free wifi was very slow and at times unusable (This is no problem for us, as we have 5 accounts spread across Verizon 4G LTE, T-Mobile 4G LTE and ATT&T 4G LTE), we will definitely stay there again.

We are now spending a month at Jamaica Beach RV Park, on Galveston Island. It is REALLY nice, clean, friendly, LOTS of amenities, including high speed internet (THAT REALLY WORKS!) the beach is across the street. In fact, we can see and hear the waves on the beach from our back window and we are on the back row of the park! Look out the front of the RV and we can see the bay and the mainland. Without a doubt, we will stay here again!

Yesterday, we looked at the Galveston Island State Park and it was as or more expensive than some full featured parks and VERY sparse and they lock the gates after 10pm!

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchF View Post
We just stayed a month at Omega Farms RV Park in Willis, TX (Mile marker 94, on I-45) and it was beautiful, quiet, friendly, clean and reasonably priced. Though the free wifi was very slow and at times unusable (This is no problem for us, as we have 5 accounts spread across Verizon 4G LTE, T-Mobile 4G LTE and ATT&T 4G LTE), we will definitely stay there again.

We are now spending a month at Jamaica Beach RV Park, on Galveston Island. It is REALLY nice, clean, friendly, LOTS of amenities, including high speed internet (THAT REALLY WORKS!) the beach is across the street. In fact, we can see and hear the waves on the beach from our back window and we are on the back row of the park! Look out the front of the RV and we can see the bay and the mainland. Without a doubt, we will stay here again!

Yesterday, we looked at the Galveston Island State Park and it was as or more expensive than some full featured parks and VERY sparse and they lock the gates after 10pm!

Been there a couple of times. Kids love the mini golf
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:02 AM   #14

Try Westlake RV. Corner of Clay Rd. and Barker Cypress. Very nice, and on west side of Houston. About 4 or 5 miles north off I-10 on Barker Cypress. I have stayed there many times.
Don
donoval43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:38 AM   #15

It depends what type of camping do you want to do. We go to Houston 3 or 4 times a year and have set up at Kemah south east of Houston. Very close to the space center and a short ride to Galveston. Lots to see and do in that area. Marina Bay RV Resort is where we stay, friendly staff great spots to park, close to the water and even have an adults only section if that's what you are looking for.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #16

How about Advanced RV Resort?
Old 05-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #17

Texas Campgrounds

Go to www.texascampgrounds.com You will be able to access and / see a directory of RV parks. If you have time, have T.A.C.O mail you a pamphlet or just download. This group is called "T.A.C.O." Texas Association of Campground Owners. They also have discount cards for the RV parks.

enjoy
jkaspar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:51 AM   #18

We live in "far north Houston" a few miles from the "big airport." As others have said, this is a big city. We have stayed at Rayford Crossing in Spring/The Woodlands and Advanced RV in Pearland with club rallies. Both are wonderful facilities, but not necessarily for the budget minded. They have many amenities and are convenient to lots of local attractions.
While it is not in Houston we really like Country Place in Conroe/Cut and Shoot, east of I45. It's wooded with several small lakes, friendly staff, and not too pricey. It you want to leave camp Lake Conroe is less than a half hour away.
Ray and Steph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping