Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #1

Chicago campgrounds

Hi, we are looking for a campground/rv park in or near Chicago. We are presently in Toledo and will be travelling to Elkhart tomorrow and then to Chicago on Tues. or Wed. Any recommendations would be helpful. We are also wanting to tour the windy city and would like a good guided tour if you know of any.

Thanks in advance

Ray & Nora
seatosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #2

I see you posted this this morning with no response. We have found campgrounds scarce in the Chicago area. I do know there are some near I-55 & I-80 Jct. but have never been to any of them. Where are going to stay in Elkhart? We spent two nights in the Elkhart Campground it is a nice Good Sam Park.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #3

I don't think there are many but I did a Google search and found a KOA.

Here is a link to that site:

Chicago Northwest, Illinois Camping Vacation, Chicago Northwest Campground in Illinois - KOA in Chicago Northwest

My wife is from the area. She would take the EL down town and hit the Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium and the Art Institute. We have also driven down to the Navy Pier area which has a large parking area to go to those museums. Not sure about guided tours but they probably have something.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
Where should we go next!

I don't really know of any campgrounds in the Chicagoland area except for the KOA which I think is in Union and not very close. I would highly recommend the Museum of Science and Industry for sure. The Shedd Aquarium, Art Institute, Adler Planetirium as well as Navy Pier are all great too.

Let's talk food. If you want a Chicago style hot dog or Italian beef, go to Portillos. They have locations all over Chicago and one right down town across the street from McDonalds flagship restaurant. If you want Chicago style deep dish pizza, you want Lou Malnattis. They have a location downtown also. Make sure it's deep dish with butter crust. You won't be disappointed. The Food Channels Bobby Flay had a throw down with them and lost. Garrets Popcorn is another great stop. Get the carmel/cheese mix.

If you have a portable GPS with a walking option this will help enormously. If your not sure of something ask around, we are pretty friendly for the most part. Arrive early, find a parking garage downtown and walk where you can and use taxis if it seems to far for you to walk. Most of this is located in and around "The Loop" with the exception of The Museum of Science and Industry which is just south of the downtown/Loop area on Lake Shore Drive and 57th. Walking Michigan ave and seeing the Sears Tower is fun as well. Good luck and have fun.

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
SportTrek 334 Touring Edition
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:19 AM   #5
Where should we go next!

Also forgot. This is a big city with lots of traffic, be patient. You will be there during the week which means it will be that much more busy. Like any big city, keep an eye on your personal space when walking. There are pick pockets here just like New York City so be aware. With that said I've been down here many times with my wife and kids and have had no problems whatsoever. Do your research on Trip Advisor.com and have fun. It's a great city.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
Where should we go next!

Oh yeah. Millennium Park is fun too. There you can see the"Bean" as well as the monolith. This is all downtown and within walking distance of most everything else I mentioned. Buckingham Fountain too. Remember, Museum of Science and Industry you want to drive to,everything else you want to park downtown and walk or use cabs.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #7

seatosea,

You might take a look at Indiana Dunes State Park. It is between Elkhart and Chicago. We stayed there last year after picking up our tt from RV Direct in Elkhart. One of our favorite places is Mount Baldy at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

2010 Rockwood Windjammer 2609W
Reese dual cam sway control
2002 Chevy Express 1500 LT
Family of 4 and WeBJammin'
WeBJammin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #8

Thank you

Thank you for all your comments. We are in the Elkhart RV Park tonight and leaving for the Chicago Northwest KOA tomorrow. Had a tour of the FR Goshen plant #10 today where they were building the Rockwood V Lite. This the same plant where they build the Flagstaff line as well. It was very interesting to see how everything goes together.

Thanks again
Ray
Old 09-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #9

how about naperville area
my dad is going to be working up there about 6 months and taking the bounder
Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
how about naperville area
my dad is going to be working up there about 6 months and taking the bounder
Hope someone can tell powerboatr;64647 of a campground in the Naperville area. Been visiting family there since 1999 & haven't had any luck in finding a campground.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptypockets View Post
Hope someone can tell powerboatr;64647 of a campground in the Naperville area. Been visiting family there since 1999 & haven't had any luck in finding a campground.
ouch

what is 64647?

i searched woodalls and it looked pretty scarce

thanks folks
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
ouch

what is 64647?

i searched woodalls and it looked pretty scarce

thanks folks
Well its not the zip code. I did a google search of campgrounds in the Naperville vicinity and came up with nothing close by, which didn't surprise me. We visit the MIL every year in Mt. Prospect and have never found any campgrounds near there either.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #13

Smile Offagain

Thanks for the advice. We are staying in Chicago Northwest KOA, which I would recommend, and took the train from Crystal Lake into town. We went to Lou Malnattis for pizza, the best I have had for a long time. Took the Chicago Trolley hop on hop off tour and got a good tour of the city. We were not in the city long enough to do much but enjoyed what time we had there. We will be off tomorrow to Minneapolis then on to Yellowstone to see Old Faithful before heading home to Calgary.

Ray & Nora
Old 10-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #14

Sorry for the confusion with the numbers - when I posted them I thought I saw them in powerboatr sign in name. Don't see them now so guess I am loosing it!

Old 10-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #15
Where should we go next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatosea View Post
Thanks for the advice. We are staying in Chicago Northwest KOA, which I would recommend, and took the train from Crystal Lake into town. We went to Lou Malnattis for pizza, the best I have had for a long time. Took the Chicago Trolley hop on hop off tour and got a good tour of the city. We were not in the city long enough to do much but enjoyed what time we had there. We will be off tomorrow to Minneapolis then on to Yellowstone to see Old Faithful before heading home to Calgary.

Ray & Nora
Wow, took the Metra from Crystal Lake into town and then hopped on and off the trolley! You two jumped in head first and got the lay of the land quick, but I guess us campers become natural at this. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed "Lous". Good luck on the rest of your trip and be safe.

Off again