Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #1

Circle Tour of Lake Superior

Has anyone taken the circle tour of Lake Superior lately? Interested in lighthouses, campgrounds w/full hook-up, and interesting stops on the way.
Thanks in advance!
Skip & Terri
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

Never done Superior but have gone around Ontario, the lakes make a great tour no matter which one it is.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #3

We did a driving tour (no camper) around Lake Michigan alst year, it was great.

2014 Flagstaff 831RKBSS
2001 Suburban 2500/6.0
1999 Chevy 2500/6.0
mike618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I made the loop about 30 years ago. But I live on the circle tour also. When I made it between Wawa and Thunder bay there wasn't much. But the rest of the way has plenty of campgrounds. I you have questions about western Upper Michigan I can help. I live south of Houghton, Mi. and that area I know.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #5

We did the Minnesota side of Lake Superior two years ago--from Duluth to Thunder Bay. This year we will hit Superior from the Michigan UP and then move over to Michigan and conclude on Huron.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
We did the Minnesota side of Lake Superior two years ago--from Duluth to Thunder Bay. This year we will hit Superior from the Michigan UP and then move over to Michigan and conclude on Huron.
The farthest we've been is to Grand Marais from Duluth. Lots of state parks along North Shore Drive. Curious about the rest of the drive.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #7

I did the circle tour about 4 years ago. Duluth's canal park is a great place to watch the Lakers come in to port and the Vista dinner cruise is worth it. Stay in Two Harbors at the campground and take your toad to Duluth. Canal Park is not RV friendly due to congestion. Split Rock lighthouse along Minnesota's north shore is worth stopping for. I recommend the RV park in Grand Marais, MN about 40 minutes before the border. It is probably the best rv park on the tour. Pigeon falls, the fur trading post and Rydens border store are at the border. The store is a good place to exchange currency. Thunder bay has a nice waterfall and Fort William. Crossing Canada along the trans-Canadian is mostly woods and not that close to the lake. Some the the best sight seeing is actually in the UP of Michigan. You can watch ships at the Soo locks. Whitefish point has a nice lighthouse, beach and shipwreck museum. Pictured rocks are in Munising and be sure to stop at Muldoons for delicious Pasties. Copper Harbor is very scenic and a great place for sunrises and sunsets but is otherwise fairly remote. The Lake in the Clouds is also very neat to see. Bayfield/Washburn area of Wisconsin is nice with the Apostle and Madeline Islands. There are city owned campgrounds but I do not believe they take reservations.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:12 AM   #8

"Pictured rocks are in Munising and be sure to stop at Muldoons for delicious Pasties." I hope that was a"typo".
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #9

Since I don't see any obvious typos in that quote, I can only assume that the word "Past-y" which is a potpie type of dish popular in the UP of Michigan, is being confused with the very small article of female clothing known as "Paste-y". Both can be equally delightful.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipnTerri View Post
Has anyone taken the circle tour of Lake Superior lately? Interested in lighthouses, campgrounds w/full hook-up, and interesting stops on the way.
Thanks in advance!
Skip & Terri
The (Most to Do & See) will be along the UP of Mi. It gets (Skimpy) from Marathon to Thunder Bay on the North side. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #11

I was thinking it would make a nice trip to do the south shore of Lake Superior and then the east shore of Lake Michigan. I would be starting from MN so it would be a full circle.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The (Most to Do & See) will be along the UP of Mi. It gets (Skimpy) from Marathon to Thunder Bay on the North side. Youroo!!
X2
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #13
The Busted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
I made the loop about 30 years ago. But I live on the circle tour also. When I made it between Wawa and Thunder bay there wasn't much. But the rest of the way has plenty of campgrounds. I you have questions about western Upper Michigan I can help. I live south of Houghton, Mi. and that area I know.

Working on planning a camping trip up your way for the summer of '16. Thinking about staying at the state park in Copper Harbor (the name escapes me at the moment). I've been to The Kee, as us "trolls" call it, twice snowmobiling and it is my favorite place on earth! Probably going to take two days to make the drive and stay one night at a friends property over near McMillan that night. I can't wait to show my girl "The Kee". Maybe she will like it as much as I do and we can stay permanently!
ChevyTech77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #14
The Busted Wrench

Circle Tour of Lake Superior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli64 View Post
I was thinking it would make a nice trip to do the south shore of Lake Superior and then the east shore of Lake Michigan. I would be starting from MN so it would be a full circle.

TONS of parks to stay at on the eastern Lake Michigan shoreline. Beautiful area. Getting back north through Chicago might not be very fun though.

Lake Superior shoreline is my go to happy place. I can't get enough of it in ANY season.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #15

Quote:
You lost me on the east shore of Lake Mich? for a Full Circle of Lake Superior? Youroo!!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #16

Sorry for confusion Youroo, it would be the overall route is a circle. I've been from Duluth to Thunder Bay before so I was wanting to include some of 2 lakes on a trip.
ChevyTech77, I would circle south and west of Chicago and head home. Made the mistake of going right through Chicago towing before, 3 hrs of bumper to bumper traffic.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Sorry for confusion Youroo, it would be the overall route is a circle. I've been from Duluth to Thunder Bay before so I was wanting to include some of 2 lakes on a trip.
ChevyTech77, I would circle south and west of Chicago and head home. Made the mistake of going right through Chicago towing before, 3 hrs of bumper to bumper traffic.
Forget about Chicago,take the (SS Badger Ferry) across to Wis. Then you can cross it off you list! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 fall 019.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	70182   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 fall 014.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	70183  
Old 02-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #18

Lighthouses...We circled Superior and Michigan and done parts of the others. If you are interested in visiting (going in) lighthouses that is one list. If you just want to get a picture of each and go in some that is another list. Many are only visible from a boat ride. Some you have to pay to get near or go in. If you are interested in helping support lighthouses there is a lighthouse society. You can also get a list of them for your GPS (POI,points of interest) that will direct you to them. Are you interested in range lights too?
Michigan ones we went to .
Munising Island Lighthouse
Point Betsie Lighthouse, Sleeping Bear Dune
Baraga Lighthouse
Baraga New light
Robert H. Manning Light
Frying Pan Island Lighthouse
Whitefish Point Lighthouse
St Ignace Lighthouse
St Ignace Breakwall light
Round Island Light Station
Round Island Lpassage Light Station
Wisconsin ones we went to
Baileys Harbor new Range lights
Baileys Harbor old light
Cana Island
Eagle Bluff
Munising Front Range Light
Baileys Harbor Old Range Light lighthouse
Sturgeon Bay Canal light
Sturgeon Bay Pier Light
bplantcjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #19

Yes, Pasties. A local favorite and you must try one if in the area. Also, I highly recommend the boat tour of Picture Rocks, especially the evening cruise. It is awesome!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #20
The Busted Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplantcjf View Post
Lighthouses...We circled Superior and Michigan and done parts of the others. If you are interested in visiting (going in) lighthouses that is one list. If you just want to get a picture of each and go in some that is another list. Many are only visible from a boat ride. Some you have to pay to get near or go in. If you are interested in helping support lighthouses there is a lighthouse society. You can also get a list of them for your GPS (POI,points of interest) that will direct you to them. Are you interested in range lights too?

Michigan ones we went to .

Munising Island Lighthouse

Point Betsie Lighthouse, Sleeping Bear Dune

Baraga Lighthouse

Baraga New light

Robert H. Manning Light

Frying Pan Island Lighthouse

Whitefish Point Lighthouse

St Ignace Lighthouse

St Ignace Breakwall light

Round Island Light Station

Round Island Lpassage Light Station

Wisconsin ones we went to

Baileys Harbor new Range lights

Baileys Harbor old light

Cana Island

Eagle Bluff

Munising Front Range Light

Baileys Harbor Old Range Light lighthouse

Sturgeon Bay Canal light

Sturgeon Bay Pier Light

Crisp point is nice. Just make sure you take your four wheel drive truck.