Old 06-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #1
Columbus oh to Greenbay Wi Chicago gets in the way

From central Ohio to Green Bay Wisconsin looks problematic. I've been looking for a reasonable route while avoiding I-90 through Chicago.

Google maps suggests I-290 but that takes us right by O'Hare. The other problem is that trying to make this a two day drive puts Chicago right in the middle of the 7-8 hours the trip will take (not including rest stops).

Since this is complicated (so it seems to me) I'll add that we are leaving on a Sunday expecting to arrive at upper Door County WI on Monday. I don't want to drive anywhere in Chicago on a Monday morning.

Coming home we leave on Friday and so will hit Chicago either Friday night or Saturday morning.

I have control over the route and where we stop but not on the days, either going up or coming back down.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. Looking for a route I can do pulling the Jeep (makes us 57 feet in length), a place to stop going up and again coming home, does not have to be the same spot. Our actual destination is the Hy-Land RV Campground at the top of the peninsula (Door County Wi).

I thought there may be some who have done this or close to it and can advise on route and places to stop, (does not need to be fancy but safe is an objective).

Gary and thank you. DW is determined to get there and we can't change the dates, (mid July).

Gary, Cindy, Reacher (Maine Coon), and Vivian (in spirit only now).
Retired: July 31st, 2013 and loving it.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #2
If you have a gps you are using and Google may also have this feature but you can avoid toll roads and it may take you away from the Chicago/ohare area. We camp in door county every year at least one time but we are leaving from the Madison area. You could take I74 to Bloomington then head up through Rockford on I 39 but that might add 2-3 hrs to your trip. Otherwise the best option for you is to take the state hwys to avoid that mess of a Chicago area. Just try using the Google feature to avoid tolls and highways and you will get a few options to go with. Hope this helps a little. Good luck and maybe we will see you up there next week.

mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Sorry hit the reply button before I was done. As far as campgrounds around that general area to stay there are the state parks like kettle moraine not sure how far out of the way that might be for you route. Try this site I use once and a while to give me some idea of where sites are in the state and it gives you most of the info you might need. Here's the site.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
Traffic is going to be bad Monday morning. I would try to get past the city on Sunday evening and stay somewhere near the Wisconsin border. Plan on adding 2 to 3 hours going through Chicago on Monday morning( unless you get through early I eat before 7 AM ). Unfortunately Friday night will be worse from about 3 in the afternoon until 8 o'clock at night.

If you have to go through on Monday you could take interstate 80 to 55 N. to 355 N. which would avoid 90/94 through the city. 355 is a toll though.
Gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
Site Team
Chicago traffic on a Monday morning
We have 2 seasons here in Chi and winter.
Best to time your trip thru to avoid heavy gridlock. 3 a.m works for me.
Next year is here - GO CUBS- 4 more WINS to go
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2016- 89 nights of camping
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote