Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #1

Crater of Diamonds State Park, Arkansas...Suggestions?

we have recently decided to visit Crater of Diamonds state park in the May/June time frame.

Any suggestions for where to stay, what to do, etc?

Thanks yawl!
Old 02-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #2

Go early not much shade.
2013 HARLEY TRI-GLIDE
danny4127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
Always Learning

Where to Stay: Crater of Diamonds State Park

What to do: MINE FOR DIAMONDS! And eat a meal at Em's Cafe.

Pictures of our stay:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougse...57682709610266
Old 02-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #4

I forgot about them the food was very good.
2013 HARLEY TRI-GLIDE
Old 02-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #5

We are headed there in June. Any suggestions as to what to bring for looking for diamonds would be much appreciated. Granddaughter is really looking forward to this with very high hopes.
Thanks
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
We are headed there in June. Any suggestions as to what to bring for looking for diamonds would be much appreciated. Granddaughter is really looking forward to this with very high hopes.
Thanks
An umbrella or some other shade device, snacks, water, lunch, change of clothes, and some money to rent tools there.

And maybe lower those hopes a bit.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #7

Thanks for the advise. What kind of tools do they rent?
Old 02-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Thanks for the advise. What kind of tools do they rent?
If I recall, shovel, bucket, sifting screens. Pretty much anything you could want:
What Should I Bring?

Here's a picture that shows 2 of the sifting screens:
Old 02-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Where to Stay: Crater of Diamonds State Park

What to do: MINE FOR DIAMONDS! And eat a meal at Em's Cafe.

Pictures of our stay:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougse...57682709610266
Thanks for the photos, sure looks like you all have a fun time camping.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #10

We've been there several times. We only spent a couple of hours total in all trips looking for diamonds- spent the bulk of our time away from the campsite at the splash pad/pool. The best time to look for diamonds seems to be right after a rain- but don't get your hopes up like Ep said. Campsites are very nice and full shade. There is a really nice walking/hiking/biking loop down to the river. If you are staying for a while want to get out and explore, it's not far to Hot Springs. There is some really neat stuff to do there like go to the observation tower- also a botanical garden type place we went to that I can't remember the name of. Lake Greeson, IIRC, is also just north of Murfreesboro and only ~30 minutes or so away.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #11

You can also go mining for crystal in several places and they are easier to find
2013 HARLEY TRI-GLIDE
Old 02-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #12

Garvan Woodland Gardens is the name of the botanical garden. Hot Spings also has great hiking and a lot of history. Worth the short drive from the mine!
Old 02-08-2018, 03:48 PM   #13

the dirt/mud can be nasty especially after a rain... bring boots... mud boots... and a small squat stool, or rubber mat to sit or kneel on... bring an army shovel or heavy duty hand trowel to work the dirt with... any small shovel to move some dirt will do... bring sun block or a beach umbrella and a wagon to drag all that stuff out to the diamond fields... oh and gloves

I spent about 5 hours over two days digging and sifting using rental tools and found nothing... but at least I can say that I tried.

5-6 years ago they had just finished renovating the campgrounds which were wonderful.

The pool is the best part.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
An umbrella or some other shade device, snacks, water, lunch, change of clothes, and some money to rent tools there.

And maybe lower those hopes a bit.
X2!
You will get hot and dirty. You can bring your own bucket and spade and save a little money. The ground is hard and chunky. I was wishing a had a regular shovel so we could really dig down. One of those small short shovels would work. The sifters are provided at the wash station. We stay at Kirby Landing and drive over. Never stayed at the mining campground but it looked really nice when we drove through it.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmccoy View Post
Garvan Woodland Gardens is the name of the botanical garden. Hot Spings also has great hiking and a lot of history. Worth the short drive from the mine!

Really pretty here. We went at Christmas last year. Funny thing...the whole trail is uphill....or maybe I’m just old and fat.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:09 PM   #16

Crater of Diamonds State Park, Arkansas...Suggestions?

I haven’t been there since 2008. We were camping at Petit Jean State Park and made a full day-trip to Crater of Diamonds.

Old clothes and plenty of changes are helpful. A really heavy rain the night before is theoretically better for finding diamonds as the silt washes down leaving every pebble or diamond suspended on tiny pillars. Unfortunately our whole day was continued drizzle. Bright sun helps with the search. Buckets, garden hand-trowels & hand rakes, a child’s sand-toy sifter, a big shovel, small flashlight, magnifying glass, reading glasses, and kneeling pad might be things to consider bringing.

A water hydrant (cold water only) allows for the initial rinse off at the end of the fields. Bring a fingernail scrub brush for cleaning your hands.

The BBQ was excellent in town...I can’t remember the name of the BBQ restaurant.

The drive back to Petit Jean seemed like it took forever. For whatever reason that night deer were running out in front of us very often. We couldn’t drive over 45 while straining our eyes watching for the next deer that might challenge our path.

In 2008 the campground at Crater of Diamonds was being renovated and I recall either partially or totally closed. A drive around left me the impression that I would like to camp there, but I don’t recall the specifics.

Have fun...I want to return soon.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:56 PM   #17

We stayed at the campground years ago and loved the woods. The best time to find diamonds if after a rain storm so get dirty, get muddy and enjoy your time there.
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #18

Crater of Diamond

Sites 1 thru 14 are great sites. All sites are paved,ave table, have a table and fire ring and lantern holder and full hookups. Not many OTA channels, very iffy satellite service. Verizon works. Out of state Senior discount at Campground.
Have fun and enjoy.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood Danny View Post
Sites 1 thru 14 are great sites. All sites are paved,ave table, have a table and fire ring and lantern holder and full hookups. Not many OTA channels, very iffy satellite service. Verizon works. Out of state Senior discount at Campground.
Have fun and enjoy.
Senior (over 62) discount to all at every Arkansas state park. 1/4 off on weekends, 1/2 off on weekdays. Don't have to be a state resident. And many of our state parks now have FHU and huge sites.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #20

We are in site 1. Really a nice campground we plenty of space between sites. Nice shaded area and each site has an additional pad for a tent set up.
We search for diamonds but typically no luck. Very hot and sunny making for a shorter day than we would have liked. Overall a very pleasant stop for a couple of days. Not much to do in Murfreesboro althoughClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3578.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	565.2 KB
ID:	174978