Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #1

Dalhart, Texas

Has any one been through Dalhart very recently?

I have heard some horrible stories about some major road construction and to avoid it like the plague.

We are heading to Angel Fire, NM on Monday and think we'll take I 40 then cut up to I 25 and turn in Springer.

Any recent insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #2

Go to:

DriveTexas

Move the map to Dalhart, click on the caution symbol, and read the warning.

It states: "Multiple lane closures. Travel lanes reduced to one lane."

And it is supposed to be that way through July 2017.

I would either go around Dalhart on back roads or take I-40 and US 84 to Las Vegas. I-40/US 84 is a good route that we took from Amarillo one time when US 87 was closed at Clayton due to snow.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #3

Came thru Dalhart on 87 three weeks ago, can't speak for other routes. I didn't know about the construction at the time. It was congested as it's in the middle of town, but didn't seem like too big a deal because it was a short stretch compared to what we see on IH 35 south of Dallas these days. A little tight thru a couple of traffic lights at some of the turns, but otherwise I'd probably not detour around it if it was on my route. You're in a bigger truck and pulling a larger camper so that is a consideration.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #4

Dalhart road was horrible

We traveled through Dalhart heading to Colorado on August 5. We got into Dalhart after dark, and hit some horrible spots in the construction area. I thought our TT would be shaken to pieces. Then the road between Dalhart and Clayton, NM was very rough, also. I stated to my dad after the trip that the stretch from Dalhart to Clayton was the worst part of the entire trip from Decatur, TX to Lake City, CO.
WildAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #5

We just got back from Angel Fire and we loved it. Let me first say the Angel Fire RV Resort was wonderful, it was a great place to stay. We would highly recommend it.
Angel Fire is a sleepy little town in Northern NM with a few nice shops and some good restaurants, we used this as our base location then traveled the enchanted circle for day trips. Santa Fe is a couple of hours away and could be done in one or two days.

Traveling up to Angel Fire we went from DFW through Lubbock to see family and then up to Santa Rosa and cut up and caught I-25 to N of Springer and then turned west on 58. (We were told not to go through Mora in a RV.) We stayed 9 days in Angel Fire and wished we had more time there.
Then went to the NRA Whittington Center near Raton which if you’re a NRA member and/or believe in the 2nd amendment is fantastic. 30,000 acres of well-maintained majestic terrain and some of the nicest people we have ever met.

Now back to the topic of this thread, the trip home through Dalhart which is under construction until late 2017 and it is a mess. I called the TXDOT office in Dalhart and they suggested we take a route that takes you around Dalhart to the west.

Coming in from the north on 87 just before you get to Dalhart turn west on FM1727, go to FM 3489 turn south, go to FM 694 turn east, go to us 54 and come back into town, you’ll end up on 7th street and take it back over to 87.

This is a PIA and the Farm roads kinda suck but it beat adding 100 miles to the trip going around. Overall Dalhart really wasn’t an issue we just had to pay attention and do a little diligence.

Hope this helps