Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #1

Davenport to Texas

Headed to Shadyoaks RV park in Rockport Texas-looking for a good route to take that doesn't have a lot of tolls. Would like to do 300 to 600 miles a day and 5 to 6 days to get there. What are your suggestions for places to stop and not to stop?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Rmk2001800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #2

Google Maps are your friend.

KC, OKC, FTW

If it were me I'd take my sweet time and see the sights along the way.

The memorial in OKC, Stockyards in FTW, Cowboy Stadium in DAL, Central Texas churches are beautiful and a million other things.

We would take a few weeks easily.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #3

I-35, Hillsboro to Austin

If I were you, I would try to stay off of I-35 from Hillsboro to Austin. It is under construction in many places, traffic is very heavy with lots of trucks. Just one small accident can cause a 10 mile backup. We live in Waco and see, or hear about 2 or 3 wrecks and delays a day. Routing around this section is not easy, but look at your maps and just try to go around it. Have a safe trip.
hydrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrope View Post
If I were you, I would try to stay off of I-35 from Hillsboro to Austin. It is under construction in many places, traffic is very heavy with lots of trucks. Just one small accident can cause a 10 mile backup. We live in Waco and see, or hear about 2 or 3 wrecks and delays a day. Routing around this section is not easy, but look at your maps and just try to go around it. Have a safe trip.
I've done Hillsboro to Austin several times pulling the 327 and he's right it's a several beer when you get there trip.

Yeah, 77 out of Waco isn't bad at all. It will take you all the way there it is mostly 2 lane if I remember correctly.

Also, you can take 281 from about FTW to San Antonio.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Google Maps are your friend.

KC, OKC, FTW

If it were me I'd take my sweet time and see the sights along the way.

The memorial in OKC, Stockyards in FTW, Cowboy Stadium in DAL, Central Texas churches are beautiful and a million other things.

We would take a few weeks easily.
Just a minor correction - the Cowboy Statium is in Arlington and is called the AT&T Staduim.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #6

Neighbor, I am well aware of the current and correct name of the stadium. The stadium is known over the world for Dallas and the Cowboys. I could have called it by the local nick names Jerry World or my favorite The Death Star.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Neighbor, I am well aware of the current and correct name of the stadium. The stadium is known over the world for Dallas and the Cowboys. I could have called it by the local nick names Jerry World or my favorite The Death Star.
I'm sure you do - but if you try to find the current AT&T Stadium in Dallas or Dallas County you won't find it.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote