Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
peaceparson

Cool Devil's Lake or BUST!

Late July we'll be heading for Devil's Lake North Dakota via U. S. 2 from the Mackinaw Straits Bridge. Anybody know of a nice campground along hwy 2 that's NOT deep in the National Forest? We will leave the bridge in the early a.m., pulling a FR pop-up with our Pacifica, so will probably want to stop somewhere in western Wisconsin.
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:19 PM   #2

If you make as far as Duluth there are some great campgrounds in that area. Indian Point and Spirit Mountain campground come to my mind in Duluth. US 2 passes right thru that great city. Duluth would be about an 8 hour drive from the bridge.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #3

Do i dare ask why dl? As far good camp grounds, I'm not sure, we always travel south or west?

Sent from my SM-N910V
mustardbucket107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
peaceparson

Smile Devil's Lake or Bust!

My wife is from dl, and her mom and other family are still there, so we make an annual visit. We like the drive through the UP and accross the northern route through Wisconsin and MN. It's peaceful and scenic and nobody else is on that road!

I appreciate the info about Duluth campgrounds. Our first trip via that route, we needed to stop and the only campground we could find was on a tiny fishing lake deep in the forest. Between the mayflies and mosquitoes, we managed about 40 winks that night, but no more than 40. That was a bit too much roughing it for us!

We have an adult autistic son who travels with us, and he loves to camp and especially enjoyed lunching by the lakes. We've spent some time at the Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park in the badlands. It's beautiful! Also the South Dakota badlands to see the Presidents. This time we will stay in dl for a few days and then off to Lincoln NE to see the g'kids.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:13 PM   #5

Apple River Family Campground | Somerset WI Tubing Camping on the Apple River

On your way and a great campground. Spend the extra $$ and get a site right on the river!

2015 Rockwood 2109s
Casual_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #6

That's cool, nice drive along hwy 2 MN, gotta be some good campgrounds in the Bemidji area

Sent from my SM-N910V
mustardbucket107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceparson View Post
My wife is from dl, and her mom and other family are still there, so we make an annual visit. We like the drive through the UP and accross the northern route through Wisconsin and MN. It's peaceful and scenic and nobody else is on that road!

I appreciate the info about Duluth campgrounds. Our first trip via that route, we needed to stop and the only campground we could find was on a tiny fishing lake deep in the forest. Between the mayflies and mosquitoes, we managed about 40 winks that night, but no more than 40. That was a bit too much roughing it for us!

We have an adult autistic son who travels with us, and he loves to camp and especially enjoyed lunching by the lakes. We've spent some time at the Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park in the badlands. It's beautiful! Also the South Dakota badlands to see the Presidents. This time we will stay in dl for a few days and then off to Lincoln NE to see the g'kids.

My wife is from DL also. Small world. Her family is now spread to Crary, Parshall, Bismarck and Star Idaho.....she of course is in Texas

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #8
peaceparson

I know where Crary and Bismark are, and my family hails from Austin TE. I did a year of internship in Lakota--that's how a Hoosier met a Red Devil!