Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #41

What I mean by that is HAVE FUN!!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #42
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbenjy View Post

Just remember Mardi Gras is over and the Tigers didn't win a bowl game and the Saints didn't make the playoffs. Not much to celebrate.
That'll drive a man to drinking....HEAVY! LOL

Old 02-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Previous link didn't work. Try this one Site Classifications - Loop Information - Fort Fiends - Articles - Fort Fiends

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomoda...oopssites-r263
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #44

While we're on the topic of towing to disney and basically hijacked this thread, whats the best places to stop along the way?
I'm coming from south MS, and have never made the trip. My 5er is new to me so I've been trying to do some route planning, or should I say stop planning on my route. In trying to figure out the best (easiest) places to stop for fuel and stretching out legs i've searched out everyones favorite location....Crackerbarrel. I've tried spacing them out for fuel stops and comfort to everyone. (I'm sure we'll have to stop more than expected) I figured crackerbarrel has RV parking so the fuel stations nearby should have easy access also. Anyone have experience with Crestview FL, and Lake City FL? These are the two stops I have planned for fuel and food.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #45

And what should I expect on the Toll roads? I've never traveled that far south in FL.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #46

Here are some tips from a FW regular (about 4x a year):
Not all loops allow pets loops 400 thru 900 are pet friendly (premium) and 1600 thru 1900 (not premium)
You don't have to leave Fido at home, WDW has a kennel near FW
Premium sites are all concrete
The dog play ground does not have parking for auto, but you can park the golf cart
Tolls roads, no tolls on I-10, I-75, I-4
From I-4 take exit 62, follow the signs to the Magic Kingdom entrance. As you approach the large entrance booth, stay to the right. After the booth bear to the right, watch the WDW (Walt Disney World) bus doesn't run you over, keep bearing right. After the yield sign continue about 2 miles, you make a left hand turn into FW. Stay in the right hand lane, the guard will direct where to go from there.
Tallahassee RV park is nice 850-878-7641
Top Sail state park along Santa Rosa beach east of Destin is Florida's best state park. I call it FW by the sea. If you can't make it this trip, plan on another time it is a destination park
Come on down, and remember to keep Florida green.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #47

8 days and counting first time back to disney since first heart attacks in 2009. first time ever at FW in the past we stayed in 1 of the resorts can't wait
Allisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:21 AM   #48

Wow. So glad I took a trip into this thread. I feel like I just entered into the world of Beverly Hills camping.

Disney/Ft Wilderness has a popup/tent site open on 2/25/13 for anyone willing to fork over..... *insert drum roll*..... $90 a night.

I have never been to Disney but hear that you "need" to spend a few days there. SO I'm looking at least $360 in camping fees then. But if I stay at a premium site its $50 more....a night. A total increase of $200 for my four nights at Ft Wilderness.

I noticed that one poster here was booked for seven days in a premium site probably at a cost of about $140 a night with a total of $980. Thats amazing! I camp 20-30 nights a year and thats two full years of camping for me!

Additionally, for me to tow all the way from Minneapolis to Orlando would cost me $1,200 for gas (RT). Thats with overly optimistic numbers that probably includes a magic carpet ride from Aladdin!

Just so everyone knows...no judgment here. I'm just working the numbers and realize that this camping thing really has a big tent and people really enjoy doing it all sorts of ways different than how I do it.

Oh...one final thing...so I get the co-pilot and the kids to Orlando...do I have to pay to get in to Disney/Epcot??? j/k ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ftwilderness.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	24255  

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #49
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMovies View Post
Wow. So glad I took a trip into this thread. I feel like I just entered into the world of Beverly Hills camping.

Disney/Ft Wilderness has a popup/tent site open on 2/25/13 for anyone willing to fork over..... *insert drum roll*..... $90 a night.

I have never been to Disney but hear that you "need" to spend a few days there. SO I'm looking at least $360 in camping fees then. But if I stay at a premium site its $50 more....a night. A total increase of $200 for my four nights at Ft Wilderness.

I noticed that one poster here was booked for seven days in a premium site probably at a cost of about $140 a night with a total of $980. Thats amazing! I camp 20-30 nights a year and thats two full years of camping for me!

Additionally, for me to tow all the way from Minneapolis to Orlando would cost me $1,200 for gas (RT). Thats with overly optimistic numbers that probably includes a magic carpet ride from Aladdin!

Just so everyone knows...no judgment here. I'm just working the numbers and realize that this camping thing really has a big tent and people really enjoy doing it all sorts of ways different than how I do it.

Oh...one final thing...so I get the co-pilot and the kids to Orlando...do I have to pay to get in to Disney/Epcot??? j/k ;-)
I don't think anyone ever said it was cheap, but it is Disney. Things to consider if you are going and thinking camping vs lodging. Calculate fuel costs above what you would normally spend driving there, not towing, and vs airfare if not driving. Now calculate camping per night vs lodging per night. If you have a family of 5, as I do, you will need either 2 rooms or a family suite. We stayed for a week a couple years ago, and it was a little over $500 per night. Then consider food. You will most likely eat breakfast in your camper most mornings, while it may not sound like much, it saves considerably. We had a food plan, and if I were to add up what our meals would have cost daily, would have been easily $350-400 for 5 of us. (2 adults, 2 teens, 1 child). Like I said, it's not cheap, and you can do it on a budget, but even though the camping is higher than most places, if you're already going to Disney, camping can be a money saver.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote