Old 05-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #1

Door County Camping

Hello,
As a local camper that has lived in Door County for the past 35 years I just want to start a thread to answer any questions people may have on camping in the Door peninsula. Let me know what kind of camping you like to do and I will do my best to steer you in the right direction for campgrounds and must see attractions. I have no affiliation with any campgrounds, but I have camped at almost all of them.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #2

Staying at Wagon trail campground the first week in July. Just my wife and I, we have never been to door county but have heard good things. What do you recommend? We like about anything.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #3

Door County

I really recommend Peninsula players and or American Folklore theater. I am not a guy that would say lets go see a play lol but Peninsula players has an amazing building on the water with drinks available and great shows. American Folklore is an outdoor theater in Peninsula park set all in the woods you will need bug spray but a amazing experience! Washington Island is a fun day trip. You take a ferry that is about a 10 min drive from the campground to the island, either bring your car or rent some scooters and explore the island. Not a ton to do while there, some neat beaches and museums but the scenery is what really sells the place. While there is ton of restaurants Fred and Fuzzies Sister Bay is the most unique you dine basically on the beach all outside, food is run to you by golf cart and of course Al Johnsons has a grass roof with goats, I recommend them most for a nice breakfast. Cave point park is a nice picnic spot the waves put on a show if its windy google it for pics that will be a 20 min drive or so for you. You will spend the most amount of time in all the small towns there all fun to walk through and offer different kinds shopping.

2015 Rockwood 2109s
Casual_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
Ham Radio since 1970

We are over in Bailey's Harbor at Bailey's Grove Campground and we like it a lot. Nice and quiet. We ate at the Cornerstone Pub last night and had a nice fish dinner outside watching fishermen come in and ouout of the harbor. Today we are of to the bay side to hit a couple of wineries and do a little shopping.

Mike
Nights camped '14: 51 '15: 134 '16: 149 '17: 171

N9ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #5

Awesome!
I wish I could order you better weather lol
The drive in Theater is always fun, Peninsula players theater is also a must see while here.

2015 Rockwood 2109s
Old 07-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #6

This post is good timing....We are booked at Wagon Trail first week in August. Thanks for the info. Camping with two young kids and our first multi day travel trip will be interesting to say the least.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #7

This year they also have zip lines within walking distance of the Wagon Trail!!
I would also recommend renting a canoe up the mink river, also right next to your campground!! There is go carts, batting cages and mini gold right in sister bay that makes for a fun couple of hours with the kids.

2015 Rockwood 2109s

Tags
camping, door