Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

Eastern Colorado

We are planning a trip in a few weeks that will start near Fort Worth Texas and end up in Saratoga Wyoming.

We plan to go west to Lubbock to see some family then north through Amarillo taking US287 to Limon Co then I70 to I25 we are staying a few days in Fort Collins then up to I80 and over and down to Saratoga.

From doing a bit of research the most likely place to stop is Lamar Colorado or maybe Limon, does anyone have a recommendation for an overnite there?

We are staying a few days in Ft. Collins/Wellington any suggestions there?

I think Saratoga only has one place and it's supposed to be fairly nice.

Thanks everyone
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #2

Just as a suggestion, there're is a very nice city park in Brush CO where you can stay free if you are wanting an overnight.
Pixie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 PM   #3

There are a couple KOAs on the north side of Fort Collins. Otherwise you would need to head a little further up the Poudre river canyon for county campgrounds.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #4

IMO the far eastern part of the state is much less scenic than a little farther west.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
GLCM Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We are planning a trip in a few weeks that will start near Fort Worth Texas and end up in Saratoga Wyoming.

We plan to go west to Lubbock to see some family then north through Amarillo taking US287 to Limon Co then I70 to I25 we are staying a few days in Fort Collins then up to I80 and over and down to Saratoga.

From doing a bit of research the most likely place to stop is Lamar Colorado or maybe Limon, does anyone have a recommendation for an overnite there?

We are staying a few days in Ft. Collins/Wellington any suggestions there?

I think Saratoga only has one place and it's supposed to be fairly nice.

Thanks everyone
I'd try:

John Martin Reservoir (Colorado Parks & Wildlife - John Martin Reservoir) just outside of Lamar or maybe the city park in Lamar (http://www.cityoflamar.org/index.php...=21&Itemid=179).

Near Fort Collins we like Boyd Lake State Park (Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Boyd Lake) or Horsetooth Reservoir (Campground Details - Horsetooth Reservoir, CO - ReserveAmerica)

We don't typically stay commercial...so can't be of much help there.

Enjoy your trip!
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #6

Horsetooth is decent as is Boyd lake but both can be very crowded and hard to get into on weekends since both are popular boating parks
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
IMO the far eastern part of the state is much less scenic than a little farther west.

Would we be better off to head to Raton, MN out of Amarillo and catch I-25 rather than going thru Lamar and Limon on 287?
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #8

The route really depends on whether you like to travel interstates or not. We recently came the route you are talking about on 287 and it was enjoyable and a good road--mostly plains so no passes to go thru. Have a great trip!
We are preparing to go from Trinidad CO to Montana next week. I'm ready to hit the road!
Pixie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #9

A suggestion I have if you have never been to the Rockies, when you are at Fort Collins take a day or two and visit Rocky Mountain National Park, you will be glad you did. It will be a completely different world than the scenery you will see along the route you plan to take.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #10

I agree with Pixie. 287 is a more laid back drive. The mountains are further west and Raton pass can be a pain in bad weather, but you get to see much more scenery through NM and CO that direction. If you can stand I25 the payoff is great. You do have to endure traffic in Denver so timing can be important for that portion.

RMNP is but one park in the state. It is worth the trip and fairly close to your path.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote