Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #1

First family "Vacation"

Hi all, Greetings from FROZEN Wisconsin

First...a little backround.

In 2015, we traded our 23' Ultralite in for a 26' Grey Wolf DBH because we went from a couple to a family. Our son will be 1 in May. When we discussed the new camper, it was clear that we wanted something we felt comfortable towing around 1000 miles from Milwaukee (Mt Rushmore/SD was the idea for furthest we'd want to tow). Our camper is pulled by a 2014 Ram 1500 Outoorsman.

ANYWHO.....Mt Rushmore WAS the destination for our 2015 Vacation. I was going to take 2 days to get there, 2 days to get home and spend 4 to 5 nights there. In December, I got a new job with 1 less week of vacation time, so now we're a bit pressed for time. SD is still possible, but probably over the course of 7 days instead of my intended 9. I'm also looking for other options, within a 1 day drive of Milwaukee so we could stay someplace a relax a little bit instead of having 4 travel days. My ideas were: Branson, MO (625 Miles), Pigeon Forge, TN (675 Miles) and Niagara Falls (630-645 Miles).

What I'm looking for is opinions on which of those would be the best with a 1 year old, or someplace I could spend 5 or 6 nights that I haven't thought of.

Thanks!

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would cut that distance way down. Towing you are not going to want to do more than about 400-500 miles in a day and that is pushing it. With a 1 ur old you may need to do less. We started when my dd was 3. She is now 8. We tend to drive 2 hrs, stop for 20-30 min and keep going. She is able to tolerate up to 12 hrs in the truck with this schedule but a portable DVd player, gaming system, books and coloring books are a must. We are also able to trade drivers out as both DH and I drive the rig. Without that we would need to limit even more.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I would cut that distance way down. Towing you are not going to want to do more than about 400-500 miles in a day and that is pushing it. With a 1 ur old you may need to do less. We started when my dd was 3. She is now 8. We tend to drive 2 hrs, stop for 20-30 min and keep going. She is able to tolerate up to 12 hrs in the truck with this schedule but a portable DVd player, gaming system, books and coloring books are a must. We are also able to trade drivers out as both DH and I drive the rig. Without that we would need to limit even more.
Our biggest issue is with a distance of 400-500 miles, we would literally end up in the middle of nowhere. I know I'm not going to make a 625 mile drive in 9 hours....my intentions would be to leave home by 4 AM so the first 3-4 hours of the drive are done during sleep time with the ultimate goal of being to our destination by 5 PM. He's done well on our first 6 trips, but obviously he was small and slept alot which helps.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #4

We were towing to Hunting Island, SC every Thanksgiving, leaving Tuesday and returning on Sunday. When our 2nd daughter arrived, we did that ONCE and then never again for anything less than a week. According to mapquest, it's a 6 hr, 55 minute drive. In reality, it's about 8 1/2 hr drive pulling the RV.

We did find that if we left after work, about 3:30 pm, we could drive about 5 hours, then spend the night in a hotel (we tried overnighting in the camper, which didn't work with little ones), and then arrive the next day after a 3 hourish drive.

It is a great place, but you definitely have to get your reservation in early. Lots of really popular places is like that, but if you are diligent and keep checking, you may find an opening.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat