Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #1

Flying J Rest Areas

Flying-J advertises RV rest areas at some of their locations. I'm planning on a trip out West in the not too distant future and wanted to know if others have used them and what are they like. Is there electricity I can connect to? How long am I permitted to stay(2hrs, 6hrs, ??). Am I required to purchase anything?(probably will get fuel anyway). Trying to find a stop or two along the way that I don't have to pay for to save a little money.
2021 Ford f150 XLT, 5L, Garmin RV760MT
Travel Companions - Zoey and Zeus
fayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #2

Flying J Rest Areas

Won't have electric. It will be like any other truck stop. Download RV parky app and it will give you locations on your route.

Some have separate places for RVs and some don't. Some have dump stations for a fee and some don't. No hookups you will be boondocking.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #3
Always Learning

> I'm planning on a trip out West in the not too distant future and wanted to know if others have used them and what are they like.

I think I've only used a Flying J once but stay at Walmarts here and there. Basically, it's a parking lot. Some have separate RV parking areas.

> Is there electricity I can connect to?

Usually not. Very rarely you'll find truck spots with a pay-per-use electrical box. I can count on one hand the number of these that I've seen, though.

> How long am I permitted to stay(2hrs, 6hrs, ??).

We stay 8-10 hours. Usually arriving after midnight and out by 10am the next day.

> Am I required to purchase anything?(probably will get fuel anyway).

No requirement, BUT it's common courtesy to do so. Fuel is good if you're at a truck stop.

> Trying to find a stop or two along the way that I don't have to pay for to save a little money.

Be prepared for people to call you a cheap-ass for this mindset. Not me, though.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
Site Team

We've stayed at a few Flying J's. As stated above they're pretty much parking lots. Some of them you'll be separated from the trucks and some you won't. I've been in one that had pay-per-use electric, and it wasn't 30 amp, all the rest are no electric.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #5

Be prepared for people to call you a cheap-ass for this mindset. Not me, though.

I agree. I’ve used them twice now when a campground wasn’t a good option for an overnight. I do shop at Walmart and consider it a “thank you” from them for all the business I’ve given to them over the years.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #6
Jeffco, MO

RV Parking at Cracker Barrel

We stop at Cracker Barrel restaurants for a quick overnight stay. They have parking for RVs and Buses. Allow room for slideouts if used. No hook ups but there is always a place for morning breakfast. They have a map in the restaurant with a listing of all the places that have RV parking.
Also much quieter than a truck stop. Do use Pilot/Flying J for the discounts on fuel.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #7

Cheap-a** mindset or not! Everyone may not have all the LONG DOLLARS as much as others. But we still love RVing, traveling and seeing some of this Great Country!
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:35 PM   #8

Cracker Barrel , that reminds me of what I saw at the Cracker Barrel on 95 at St. Augustine . Small motorhome taking two places , BBQ grill going , awning out , 4 people sitting in chairs having a fine time , watchin big TV !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #9

I do not mean to start a fight on here but when we travel we will spend 99% of nite stops dry camping , not just the normal Wal-Marts , Fly Js and such . I mean churches , closed for the nite fruitstands , auto repair facilities with big parking lots . Probably 100 nites per year and only once have I been asked to move !
Tonite we are parked in the volusia county Florida parking lot in New Smyrna running my honda 3,000., Last nite in a furniture store parking lot in DeLand . It ain;t rocket science , if they ask ya to leave, just leave . Any one else do dat
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #10

I hear what you're saying, but I'm totally retired and self sufficient. I really don't care what someone else thinks about how I save (or spend) money. Someone tells me that I would say "yep" and turn around and walk off. We also price shop, use coupons, and bargain with vendors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Be prepared for people to call you a cheap-ass for this mindset.
chengdave2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #11
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Glad to see a few posts from others who don't own mobile mansions and are living on less than government or corporate pensions. Our travels take us to US Forest Service campgrounds, BLM campgrounds and National Parks most of the time, but when we need to layover on the way, we usually find rest stops with RV parking or side roads with pull-outs that will accommodate our 18 ft MiniLite and TV. Boondocking is our normal mode, so the lack of power or hookups isn't an issue. Many rural communities have dump stations at their city corporation yard, too.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #12

Federal Government seems to be pouring lots of $ into Interstate highway rest areas. Earlier this month, we took a two week jaunt from OH to FL and back. Stayed at beautiful rest area with grassy islands which allowed us to put out slides on one side. Spent another night at a great Walmart in GA with several other campers and some OTR truckers. "iExit - Trucks" is a great app that lists Pilots and Flying Js with details on what is available. It also lists Walmarts and shows which ones are "truck friendly" which I take to mean they are "RV friendly"also. And to think, I used to pay for one-nighters at campgrounds. Not any more! (Allstays RV is one of the best - for Walmarts it lists if they allow parking and even describe where the RV parking area is located on their lot.)
Old 02-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #13

Flying J Rest Areas

I think a lot of the issue is the few that do the whole set up with grills slides lawn chairs and don't have a small footprint. There is a a short overnight rest and then there is setting up like your at a campground.

These few will ruin it for all RVrs.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #14
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
X2 Rmac04401
Old 02-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #15

FlyJ

Hilton NY? I grew up in Hilton, class of 80.

Every time we use Flying J we never had to purchase anything. I have heard friends staying over nite with no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayliss View Post
Flying-J advertises RV rest areas at some of their locations. I'm planning on a trip out West in the not too distant future and wanted to know if others have used them and what are they like. Is there electricity I can connect to? How long am I permitted to stay(2hrs, 6hrs, ??). Am I required to purchase anything?(probably will get fuel anyway). Trying to find a stop or two along the way that I don't have to pay for to save a little money.
TheGreatWaz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:22 PM   #16

state parks if on your route are usually much cheaper. County parks too, if you can locate them.
SCcamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #17
2003 Georgetown 325

I've use Flying J but I found that I needed to get there early because the lots fill up fast not that the truckers are required to be off the road for at least 8 hrs....can't drive more than 10 hrs/day now. I found that getting there after 9:00pm was unlikely to find a spot especially traveling west.
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerBob View Post
Glad to see a few posts from others who don't own mobile mansions and are living on less than government or corporate pensions. Our travels take us to US Forest Service campgrounds, BLM campgrounds and National Parks most of the time, but when we need to layover on the way, we usually find rest stops with RV parking or side roads with pull-outs that will accommodate our 18 ft MiniLite and TV. Boondocking is our normal mode, so the lack of power or hookups isn't an issue. Many rural communities have dump stations at their city corporation yard, too.
Hey, I got no problem staying at campgrounds for all my overnight stays when someone called me a cheap butt... But I'll make sure to get their address and credit card number so that they can pay my bill for the stay!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #19
HikerBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Hey, I got no problem staying at campgrounds for all my overnight stays when someone called me a cheap butt... But I'll make sure to get their address and credit card number so that they can pay my bill for the stay!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2016, 01:30 PM   #20

Flying J Rest Areas

I have never used Flying J Rest Areas in my travel but I have used their Sanitation Dump site. Normally the Rate is $10.00 but if you are a Good Sam's Member you will receive discounts on Fuel & Accessories and Sanitation dump is only $5.00. I like to use Flying J for main reason for easy access to the pumps. I hope this helps fellow "Rvers".
popinfresh2 is offline   Reply With Quote