Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #1

From CT to SD on RT 80

We are planning a trip from CT on Rt 80 to Rapid City in SD. If you all could let me know how heavy the traffic is around some of the cities on this route in the Midwest states. We are leaving from a family reunion in CT, and this route seemed to be the straightest way west from PA.

Does any one have some other road recommendations? We are not in a real hurry and would like to travel around 400 miles a day when on the road.

Thanks for the help.
mamentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #2

Presume you mean I-80 -- if so,would suggest going thru Chicago area mid-day or weekend. Traffic gets heavy but if no construction, it tends top move along
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Only city id be worried about is Chicago.
When you get around the quad cities do not take the 280 bypass stay on 80 all the way around the qca. Lots of road construction on 280 . Wave when you go through. I don't believe any construction through Iowa city.
Desmoines is only other major city but I think you'll be fine.
That's my thoughts on Iowa when u go through.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #4

Thanks for your information. Yes I will be on Interstate 80/90, but the main route will be 80. I'll plan a way around Chicago or hit it on a weekend. Also, thanks for the update in Iowa.
mamentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #5

No Problems

Just did I-80 and 90 from Davenport, IA to Rapid City, SD (and past) - with the exceptions of the comments about road construction and Chicago, you'll be fine - the road is great all the way and easy driving - no big cities, and where there are cities/towns, there is no issue at all.

I passed through a fair bit of road construction, the worst being around Mitchell, SD, but that was a month ago now, but if you are travelling slow and steady, you will have no worries!

Enjoy...
2011 Chev Silverado 3500HD Dually Duramax Turbo Diesel - Allison Trans / PullRite 20.5K Super 5th Wheel Hitch & SuperRails / Trailair Tri-Glide Air Ride Pin Box #21,000 / Honda 3000i Handi

mdamm is offline   Reply With Quote