Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Jan Goldfield

Ft Leonard Wood

Has anyone stayed at the military campground here?
LORA

The most recent reviews I can find are at least 2 years old.

Does the Golden Age passport make it even cheaper than 15 bucks?

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
Has anyone stayed at the military campground here?
LORA

The most recent reviews I can find are at least 2 years old. Does the Golden Age passport make it even cheaper than 15 bucks?
Please support the US Military Campgrounds Directory and software. This is a sample of what is available.

Fort Leonard Wood Piney River Camp
Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Last Update: 02/01/2009 10:32:00 PM

GPS - Facility Coordinates: 37.76, -92.06

GPS - RV Gate Coordinates:Directions:Located along the Big Piney River just north of the bridge at the East Gate on road FLW 10 (East Gate Rd). Must access the installation by way of one of the two front gates (either from Waynesville or from St. Roberts). The East Gate is open from 0530-2000 hours to enable personnel to enter and exit the installation via the bridge crossing the river. The East Gate is closed on weekends and holidays.
Telephone:
Fax:
Address:
Season:Year round.
Reservations:Not accepted.
E-mail:
Web:http://www.fortleonardwoodmwr.com

Discounts:|
Type of site

Spaces
Hook-ups
Daily
Weekly
Monthly
Open Camping
Unl
None
Free
Free
Free

Authorized Users:Active, National Guard, Reservists, Retired, 100% DAV. DoD Civilians.Internet Access:None at the camp area.Forwarded Mail:Pet Information:Allowed with usual leash and clean-up rules.Camp Information:This is a very rustic and primitive area to park an RV along the Big Piney River about 5 miles from the main post. This camping area is located on post. Campers may use this area without reservations, fees, or check-in. There is room for tents and RV's to dry-camp.Big Rig Friendly:*No*Firearms Policy:Facilities: LegendUndeveloped camping area.

User Comments:
Rating:CommentVisited on October 2004 - My wife and I stayed at this campground four nights in 10/04 while visiting family stationed at the base. This is a dry campground area that appears to be well known to those who fish the river, have rough-it camp outs on weekends, and take their dogs for exercise and a swim. There are several graded dirt back-in campsites with picnic tables indicating some level of installation support. There was a travel trailer parked in a nearby open field suggesting that users may park in undesignated places over an approximate 10-acre area. Security personnel are present at the gate when it is open, and military police periodically patrol nearby. The roads are hardtop from the post to the gate. However, the roads around the camping area are dirt. There is a variety of wildlife along the roads, so drive carefully, especially at night. It is too bad the installation commander does not develop, upgrade, and advertise this area as a recreation area for family and visitor use. It was an enjoyably quiet and peaceful place to stay for while using on-post medical care, shopping, and visiting family and friends. We would again use the campground if planning to spend a few days at Fort Leonard Wood, and we are sure local users have an appreciation for it's availability. The campground is a long distance from the interstate to justify a cross-country traveler overnight stop; however, if someone wants to stop, plan to arrive long before darkness to set up camp in this remote area. Some travelers may consider this campground to be one notch away from boon docking. I give the campground two stars.
Visited on July 19, 2007 - I agree with the other post. We came through just for one night. The camp site is very remote and very quiet. There we three other RV's in the area but seen no one. It did appear that 2 of them had been there for some time. The grass had just been bush hogged off. For those that don't know what this is, it is a tractor with a hug mower on the back. They cut the weeds down to about 6 inches. The site we were on was next to the small creek and under a tree. The site was very cluttered with beer cans and trash. We were going to police call the site, but ran out of time. Please note( chiggers have ate me up) so make sure you take plenty of spray. Yes, this is about as close to boon-docking as you can get. We parked under a tree for shade so our Datastorm was of no use. We found free WI-FI at the Technology Center which was very fast. When entering the main gate make sure you stay all the way to the right if you are over 12 feet tall. Security will check inside your RV which was no problem for us. Security was very very pleasant as well as where you sign in at the Sportsman Center. Post CSM needs to get involved with cleaning the trash up. We plan on going back through in August and will stay 2 to three night again. Can't beat the value

Visited on Summer of 08 - Rose and I stayed here 2 times this past summer and had a great time. It is boondocking at its best. Both times there was no one else there. We stayed there from Sunday night and left on Thursday afternoon each time. The fishing was great both times. On base is a rather large spring that is stocked with rainbow trout. We caught two each. Also the Big Piney river runs right by the campground. Our campsite was under a large oak tree and the people before us mowed the site with a lawn mower. The parking pad was gravel and level with a table on a concrete pad and fire ring. Our 35 ft motor home with toad fit it easily. We picked up some litter from all campsites. You can get water at the Sportsman Center. We plan on going back next summer!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Jan Goldfield

That sounds a little too primitive for us.

2009 Ford 150
Old 08-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
That sounds a little too primitive for us.

Oh yea...
Old 08-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Jan Goldfield

I will keep looking. We want to stay at a military CG if it's possible. A bit north of here - Arkansas or MO. Someplace where we can stay and then take day trips when/if we want to.

2009 Ford 150
Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I will keep looking. We want to stay at a military CG if it's possible. A bit north of here - Arkansas or MO. Someplace where we can stay and then take day trips when/if we want to.
I was very serious about buying the US Campgrounds software. It is an excellent investment for military campers.

U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks

for a 30 day free trial. Do support them and get a copy.
Free updates for a year.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Jan Goldfield

I will definitely try to buy it. I find that much of that sort of thing does not run on a Mac.

I just checked. It does not run on a Mac. Wish it would.

2009 Ford 150
Old 08-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

You should leave a note on his web page.
Maybe if enough folks complain about it he will write an app for the database. We just bought an Ipad and sure could use one ourselves!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
Jan Goldfield

That's a good idea. I'll do it this very minute.

2009 Ford 150
Old 08-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Hijacked thread LOL

If you want to email him direct:

Larry Farquhar

larryf@militarycampgrounds.us

Lou
Old 08-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
Jan Goldfield

I did email him about 15 minutes ago. I hope he revises his info so it runs on a Mac.

2009 Ford 150
Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
Jan Goldfield

I got a reply from Larry Farquhar. It doesn't look good for us Mac folks. So they he will live without 7% more income and I will live without his info. Too bad for both of us.

Jan,

I agree - I'd love to have an Apple/Mac version. I'm currently researching it again, but it's a matter of economics. Less than 7% of the website visitors use an Apple system.

Happy & Safe Travels!
Larry Farquhar

2009 Ford 150