Old 07-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #1

Galveston Island, Tx w/ pics!

Took my family to Galveston Island for 4 nights! Had a great time. We stayed at Bayou Shores Rv park. This was our annual trip to the ocean and a great one to add to the books. We chose Galveston for a few reasons, affordability and family activities. We didn't want to break the bank and go to South Padre, but we wanted more kid friendly activities than you get at Port Aransas.

Bayou Shores; it was a great place to stay. We picked it for the simple reason that it was the only camp ground that had sites available in the 3 week notice that we had. How ever after staying there I give it a 4 out of 5 stars! We were very happy with the staff, they were very kind and accommodating. The grounds are very well kept and the grass is thick st Augustine which is great feeling on the bare foot! They had full hook ups, play ground right in the middle of the camp sites so it's easy to stay at your site while the kids go play and lastly the bay being right at the camp ground is nice! The reasons it didn't get a 5 is because the camp sites are kind of tightly nested together, the facilities are old and kind of ran down (not really a problem, but just gives off this old run down vibe). All and all, I would recommend staying there!

Galveston in general was fun! It's a lot different than the last time I was there in 2009. It felt safe just about every where we went! Lots of good food, and fun places to visit. Here is a list of what we did: Schlitterbahn water park (awesome), Moody Gardens (highly recommend this, a day pass gets you everything from the 3 pyramids to the boat ride, water park, 3 movie theatres), magic carpet putt putt, TXDOT Ferry (it's free and fun, more likely to see dolphins on this boat than a dolphin tour), ate at the Rainforest café (delicious) and did the rainforest café river adventure (good for little kids), spent Sunday on the drive on beach by Woody's (was worth the $8 to get to drive on a not too crowded beach).

All and all, if you are considering going to Galveston I would recommend it. Yes the rumors are true, the sea weed is bad. There is a smell on some portions of the beach, but really it's not too bad. We just kind of made funny jokes as we walked or drove through the stinky areas. The island is back to good shape and is a lot of fun to go visit!

These first couple pics are from my phone, I'll get the rest off my phone later:

This is a good shot standing from our camper door to the water!

This is on the boat ride looking at our camp ground.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #2

We have looked at staying at that park but have always stayed at GALVESTON.COM: Dellanera RV Park
sounds like the family had a good time.

Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prothos View Post
We have looked at staying at that park but have always stayed at GALVESTON.COM: Dellanera RV Park
sounds like the family had a good time.
Dellanera is an excellent park. I have stayed there twice. I have not found one closer to the gulf beach side versus bay side (different world!). This park is owned/operated by the City of Galveston. Very well maintained and courteous staff. Prices are very reasonable. Check on-line! No playground or pool, etc. This may detract from families with children. BUT, a solid park and I always stay there when I visit Galveston!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #4

Glad you had a good time. Have been going there all my life and lived and retired from there. Our friends own that RV park. Next time try Jamaica Beach RV. There is so much to do in Galveston. Ervin retired from GPD and yes the seaweed stinks. We are used to it. If they leave it the beaches will rebuild but the tourist do not like it so the remove it and the beaches are getting smaller each year. Since Ervin passed away very quickly last month I will probably learn to pull our fifth wheel towards Galveston and once I am calm doing by myself I will venture out further. Will not be the same because that was our dream but he would want me to do this. Jeane

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #5

I learned to pull or Columbus and my first trip was to Jamaica Beach RV in Galveston. They have a putt putt golf course and movies for kids, playground, pool, two alpacas and of course things for adults also. Right down the road from Dellenera Park but on the bay side. There is also the state park across 3005 that is right on the beach. I also pulled to Lake Somerville but need to practice backing in so I can do it by myself.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums