Old 07-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #21
I'm about 2/3 of the way across the country on I40 from the east coast...we've used the Pilot app to find stations and I find them competitive with the other truck tops on the route in general...way better than the Valero's and usually cheaper than anyone on the route with the Good Sam discount...not a life member. I REALLY like the ones with RV islands, DEnny's and RV specific parking!
The only other place I've bought from on the trip was yesterday in OK at a Walmart where they beat Pilot by 5 cents.
I'm glad to have the card and discount...but as Doc73 have to still shop around.

2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #22
Send a message via Yahoo to carluv
I have only used Flying J/Pilot a couple times. Just swiped the cards and pumped. Also use gas buddy to find stations. Main problem I have is getting into the stations. Unless it is an end pump with a direct exit, i can't get in them or won't try. Only place I found that had a separate RV lane was in South Carolina. If the station has a North/ South set up with a store in front, I avoid them.

carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #23
I have used the Flying J, & Pilot stations for years. Prices vary greatly with them, just like with other brands. I have not had any problems scanning credit card, then GS card, always get my discount.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #24
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
As with mine I get the full 6 cents being a life member and having a Pilots card never an issue. Some times may see higher prices and move on but not often. Only once did not get the discount and as mentioned i did a quick phone call and my bill was adjusted. Later RJD
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:25 PM   #25
We have used pilot here in Florida and GA with No Problem. Always got discount. We plan on using them all the way to and from Goshen....See you all there
Phil & Linda and our two four legged girls - Cricket & Lucy
2016 F350 Super Duty
2011 Prime Time 27.0 RET Crusader 5th Wheel
plshilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #26
"The Next Exit" is a great travel guide. It lists gas/diesel stations and other travel-related services. In it, the Pilot and Flying J stations are listed in red if they have an RV-only island. Those are very helpful. Also FYI, we often shop at Kroger's. They offer 10 cents off of gasoline for every $100 dollars you spend in a month. With three teenagers, we go over $300 in groceries every single month. That nets us a one-time 30 cent per gallon discount each month. Of course, maneuvering a Class A into a Kroger's station isn't often what I call fun.
2015 GT 364TSF
Vince and Charlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #27
Originally Posted by SYE View Post
Pilot Flyin J is 30 cents more per gallon, so I try not to get gas there unless I am desperate. At least that's the way it is here in Michigan, 2.65 by my house 2.99 there.
Same here in Ft Worth, Flying J is 30 cents higher that the station at the next exit.

The challenge is when you're in a RV you're like 60' long and you can't just whip into a gas station and fill up. So more often than not we have to compromise between price and access.

I've swapped out the fuel tank in the 250dy for a 50 gallon and it is wonderful. We also travel with a tablet and have the ability to take a good look using google earth at the fuel stop way before we get there. After that with all said we probably go to Flying J more than anywhere else. The GS discount is more hassle than it's worth way to much work to save a single dollar on a tank of fuel.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #28
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post

I've swapped out the fuel tank in the 250dy for a 50 gallon and it is wonderful.

I have an F350 with a 26 gal tank, while towing my 9000lb TT, I get 10.5 mpg on average. Stopping to fill up every 250 ish miles gets old quick. Could you share info on your 50gal tank? Stretching that out to 500 miles sounds like a must.

I gave up on the discount at flyin j and just suck it up and go thru the truck lanes, send in the DW with a cc. It's easier than stressing out about having enough room.
2017 Coachman Chaparral 334TSIK
2015 F350 PS
lesptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #29
What did you expect from min- wage employes, Rhodes scholars ?
Just so fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #30
I've never had a problem with Pilot or Flying J. But I do check GasBuddy and Love's TS app as well as FJ/Pilot apps.

Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote

good sam