Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #21

I'm about 2/3 of the way across the country on I40 from the east coast...we've used the Pilot app to find stations and I find them competitive with the other truck tops on the route in general...way better than the Valero's and usually cheaper than anyone on the route with the Good Sam discount...not a life member. I REALLY like the ones with RV islands, DEnny's and RV specific parking!
The only other place I've bought from on the trip was yesterday in OK at a Walmart where they beat Pilot by 5 cents.
I'm glad to have the card and discount...but as Doc73 says...you have to still shop around.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to carluv
I have only used Flying J/Pilot a couple times. Just swiped the cards and pumped. Also use gas buddy to find stations. Main problem I have is getting into the stations. Unless it is an end pump with a direct exit, i can't get in them or won't try. Only place I found that had a separate RV lane was in South Carolina. If the station has a North/ South set up with a store in front, I avoid them.
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #23

I have used the Flying J, & Pilot stations for years. Prices vary greatly with them, just like with other brands. I have not had any problems scanning credit card, then GS card, always get my discount.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #24
Georgia Rally Coordinator

As with mine I get the full 6 cents being a life member and having a Pilots card never an issue. Some times may see higher prices and move on but not often. Only once did not get the discount and as mentioned i did a quick phone call and my bill was adjusted. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:25 PM   #25

We have used pilot here in Florida and GA with No Problem. Always got discount. We plan on using them all the way to and from Goshen....See you all there
plshilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #26

"The Next Exit" is a great travel guide. It lists gas/diesel stations and other travel-related services. In it, the Pilot and Flying J stations are listed in red if they have an RV-only island. Those are very helpful. Also FYI, we often shop at Kroger's. They offer 10 cents off of gasoline for every $100 dollars you spend in a month. With three teenagers, we go over $300 in groceries every single month. That nets us a one-time 30 cent per gallon discount each month. Of course, maneuvering a Class A into a Kroger's station isn't often what I call fun.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYE View Post
Pilot Flyin J is 30 cents more per gallon, so I try not to get gas there unless I am desperate. At least that's the way it is here in Michigan, 2.65 by my house 2.99 there.
Same here in Ft Worth, Flying J is 30 cents higher that the station at the next exit.

The challenge is when you're in a RV you're like 60' long and you can't just whip into a gas station and fill up. So more often than not we have to compromise between price and access.

I've swapped out the fuel tank in the 250dy for a 50 gallon and it is wonderful. We also travel with a tablet and have the ability to take a good look using google earth at the fuel stop way before we get there. After that with all said we probably go to Flying J more than anywhere else. The GS discount is more hassle than it's worth way to much work to save a single dollar on a tank of fuel.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:02 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post

I've swapped out the fuel tank in the 250dy for a 50 gallon and it is wonderful.

I have an F350 with a 26 gal tank, while towing my 9000lb TT, I get 10.5 mpg on average. Stopping to fill up every 250 ish miles gets old quick. Could you share info on your 50gal tank? Stretching that out to 500 miles sounds like a must.

I gave up on the discount at flyin j and just suck it up and go thru the truck lanes, send in the DW with a cc. It's easier than stressing out about having enough room.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #29

What did you expect from min- wage employes, Rhodes scholars ?
Just so fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #30

I've never had a problem with Pilot or Flying J. But I do check GasBuddy and Love's TS app as well as FJ/Pilot apps.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by carluv View Post
I have only used Flying J/Pilot a couple times. Just swiped the cards and pumped. Also use gas buddy to find stations. Main problem I have is getting into the stations. Unless it is an end pump with a direct exit, i can't get in them or won't try. Only place I found that had a separate RV lane was in South Carolina. If the station has a North/ South set up with a store in front, I avoid them.
If you have the FJ/Pilot app it will tell you all the services they have such as rv lanes and dump stations. Most of the older stations can be tough to get into.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #32

n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
I have used the Flying J, & Pilot stations for years. Prices vary greatly with them, just like with other brands. I have not had any problems scanning credit card, then GS card, always get my discount.
The FJ/Pilot will give a card ask cashier she/he will actaactivate it then you have both loyalty cards.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
I have an F350 with a 26 gal tank, while towing my 9000lb TT, I get 10.5 mpg on average. Stopping to fill up every 250 ish miles gets old quick. Could you share info on your 50gal tank? Stretching that out to 500 miles sounds like a must.

I love the 50 gallon tank, it ticks me off Ford doesn't put it in at the factory but from what I understand there is some emissions BS.

There are 2 major companies selling tanks;

Transfer Flow https://www.transferflow.com/fuel-ta...lacement-tanks

This is the brand I ended up with and installed it cost about $1500 including the DTE reprogram. (They have to change the tank size in the computer). It's a metal tank and we have had zero issues with it.
We just got back from 3 weeks in New Mexico, we drove from Ft Worth to Pecos and spent the night. Filled up the next morning (at a Flying J) it was 400+ miles and we put in about 40 gallons we most likely could have made it to Van Horn but it is to desolate way out there.

The 2nd is Titan Fuel Tanks https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/ford...ies-2011-2012/

This is a plastic tank like your stock one, a couple of issues I had heard were, not properly torquing the filler and having fuel leaks and the tank bulging when full.

Do the research there are naysayers on both sides. You can install it yourself if you choose or get it installed I chose the latter. I found a place in Ft Worth who would install it and could reprogram the computer at a very competitive price so I went with them.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just so fine View Post
What did you expect from min- wage employes, Rhodes scholars ?
Do ya think paying them more will make them any smarter?
Old 07-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Remember what Ron White said "You can't fix stupid".

Not saying people at Flying J are stupid I just happened to have a random thought.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I love the 50 gallon tank, it ticks me off Ford doesn't put it in at the factory but from what I understand there is some emissions BS.

There are 2 major companies selling tanks;

Transfer Flow https://www.transferflow.com/fuel-ta...lacement-tanks

This is the brand I ended up with and installed it cost about $1500 including the DTE reprogram. (They have to change the tank size in the computer). It's a metal tank and we have had zero issues with it.
We just got back from 3 weeks in New Mexico, we drove from Ft Worth to Pecos and spent the night. Filled up the next morning (at a Flying J) it was 400+ miles and we put in about 40 gallons we most likely could have made it to Van Horn but it is to desolate way out there.

The 2nd is Titan Fuel Tanks https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/ford...ies-2011-2012/

This is a plastic tank like your stock one, a couple of issues I had heard were, not properly torquing the filler and having fuel leaks and the tank bulging when full.

Do the research there are naysayers on both sides. You can install it yourself if you choose or get it installed I chose the latter. I found a place in Ft Worth who would install it and could reprogram the computer at a very competitive price so I went with them.

Thank you for that info. I'll run that by the finance minister (DW). Metal tank sounds like the better option.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #37
7 Year Class A RV'er

The pricing thing is really strange. We went from Orlando to Nashville and back just last week (will do it again next week) and the Flying J/Pilot stations were way cheaper than anyone else on the highway. Didn't take the RV this time, but we gassed up at them anyway. We're Good Sam Lifetime Members and got the Pilot charge card, so we're getting $0.06 per gallon discount. Not huge, but better my savings than theirs. When we're in the RV, the 90 gallon tank makes that savings add up pretty quick. Never fill from empty, but that amounts to $5.40 per tank savings - not too shabby in my book. I figure I can get the RV for free by just filling up 39,317 times! :0)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
That's what they think in Seattle! $15 minimum wage.

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Ninemmsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:27 PM   #39
Site Team

I had similar trouble til I got the gs flying j credit card. Now you swipe that card only, enter your code and get the reduced price. Bill comes by email only.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:10 PM   #40

Use good Sam card from FL to Ma and never had a problem, just swap card enter control number and pump. Get discount plus points for coffee and store discounts.
2014 F350 / 2015 CC 36 CKTS
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam