Old 12-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #1

Headed to Arizona From Wisconsin

We're newbies with a MiniLite 2104s. This January, we plan to head due south from Wisconsin to Texas, stay a bit, and then connect with friends in the Phoenix area in February.

We're towing with a Highlander, and would appreciate any tips or cautions you could pass along.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:30 PM   #2

Escaping part of the WI winter? Smart!!! Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
WFD

WI gets wintery weather???
Old 12-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
WI gets wintery weather???
Yup, we get our fair share.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniLiteWisconsin View Post
We're newbies with a MiniLite 2104s. This January, we plan to head due south from Wisconsin to Texas, stay a bit, and then connect with friends in the Phoenix area in February.

We're towing with a Highlander, and would appreciate any tips or cautions you could pass along.
Best advice might be to stay on interstate highways as much a possible, because if there is bad weather, interstates are typically cleared before secondary roads. Also, if your trailer is winterized now - and I assume it is - consider keeping it winterized and spend the first few nights in motels, rather than in the trailer. De-winterize it when you get far enough south that overnight freezing isn't a concern.

Have fun and stay safe.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniLiteWisconsin View Post

From what part of Wisconsin to what part of Texas?
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #7

1. Get a first class campground search app for you mobile device... we use Allstays Camp & RV... pay for the premium version. We cannot travel without it.

2. Get a first class weather app with radar maps. There are lots of these. We use StormShield.

3. Using Allstays, take a look at North East Texas... find a State Park near I-30... Lake Bob Sandlin SP, for instance. Or near I-20, Tyler Lake SP. or any other State Park... they are all great.

4. Using Google Maps, find the fastest way South... from Wisconsin, it will probably put you on I-39, I-55, I-40, I-30

5. Put a few key towns on the route into you weather app and start watching for a good “travel window”.

6. When the window opens, BEAT FEET! You will probably not be able to de-winterize until Arkansas. There will be few “All Year” campgrounds until Arkansas.

7. At the first Texas State Park, buy their annual pass... this will save you some real money. From there south & west you should be good to go... there are about a 100 Texas State Parks, and we have yet to go wrong. Watch the weather... it can get cold most everywhere, even Texas. Getting closer to the Gulf is usually smart. Note that some parks were damaged by Harvey, so check ahead. Weekdays and Sundays are usually open at the campgrounds, but Friday and Saturday nights may need reservations.

8. We are also heading west from Texas, and will take State Hwy 90 west of San Antonio until it hits I-10... it will be new territory for us past Van Horn.

9. ENJOY!!! Maybe we will see you Out There!

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 12-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

Check the wind-speed forecast. "The Weather Channel" App gives wind speed forecasts days in advance. You can pick a city you will be traveling through and see the wind forecast (scroll to DAILY 15 days).

We've found that a 19 mph crosswind is our white knuckle limit. And that is still exciting. Anything over 19 mph and we pull over or don't start. Heading south along the Font Range in Colorado (I-25) can be exciting when the wind gusts move you to the inside lane. Being from WI, you are well aware of the wind.

Early morning travel is usually the best. If wind is forecast, hit the road early (7:00?) and stop for breakfast around 9:00 or 10:00 O'clock when the wind starts up. You may want to just stay put after breakfast and start out again around 4:00 or 5:00 for another 4 hours driving, after the wind dies down. That'll still give you 300-400 miles per day.

Check your slide-out topper. Will it stay put in a strong cross wind? From the factory, mine wasn't wound tight enough. That too is exciting when your topper unfurls, flaps in the wind and SLAMS back into place.

Remember, it's a lot better to be bored at McDonalds or Walmart than it is to drive in strong wind and end up in the lap of the driver next to you.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormickJim View Post
Check the wind-speed forecast. "The Weather Channel" App gives wind speed forecasts days in advance. You can pick a city you will be traveling through and see the wind forecast (scroll to DAILY 15 days).

We've found that a 19 mph crosswind is our white knuckle limit. And that is still exciting. Anything over 19 mph and we pull over or don't start. Heading south along the Font Range in Colorado (I-25) can be exciting when the wind gusts move you to the inside lane. Being from WI, you are well aware of the wind.

Early morning travel is usually the best. If wind is forecast, hit the road early (7:00?) and stop for breakfast around 9:00 or 10:00 O'clock when the wind starts up. You may want to just stay put after breakfast and start out again around 4:00 or 5:00 for another 4 hours driving, after the wind dies down. That'll still give you 300-400 miles per day.

Check your slide-out topper. Will it stay put in a strong cross wind? From the factory, mine wasn't wound tight enough. That too is exciting when your topper unfurls, flaps in the wind and SLAMS back into place.

Remember, it's a lot better to be bored at McDonalds or Walmart than it is to drive in strong wind and end up in the lap of the driver next to you.

Great advice!
Old 12-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #10

WI to AZ

We took the shortest route from Milwaukee area to Phoenix Jan 2016 - thru St Louis, Tulsa, OK City, Wichita Falls, El Paso and over. I am going to watch wind forecasts this Jan. I can get 11-13 mpg with the wind but went down to 5mpg against strong head winds a few times in TX in 2016. That meant stopping every 125 miles to refuel. But since my DW wont drive that 35' TT those stops help me.