Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Crazy Horse and is all privately funded vs. Rushmore was government funded. .
Guess thats why custer is still not completed and hasn't been worked on in quiet a while.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:15 AM   #22

Thanks for all the great info!! We got our sites booked and are heading through Helena, Sheridan then on to Mount Rushmore for 4 days... On the way back we are coming through Casper, Cody and Yellowstone.. Just finding a few things to do along the way!! Should be a great trip!!

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #23

Hardin, Mt has a real neat museum @ exit 497. Plenty of gas at 495. Billings can be a zoo at any exit although 452 ain't bad.
Of course ya gotta stop at Custer Battlefield aka Little Bighorn. The Last Stand has a great gift shop and restaurant.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Washington, our greatest president Jefferson, principle founder Lincoln, our second greatest president and Roosevelt, which had vision for the national parks. Nah, I disagree.
I completely agree with Still Kicking, Mount Rushmore is better. If you can, hike the short presidential trail to get a closer view of the sculpture and views from different angles.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Guess thats why custer is still not completed and hasn't been worked on in quiet a while.
Work is done on Crazy Horse when funds are available.

Not like some projects that are funded on credit our great grandchildren will have to pay for.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #26

I was just there (two weeks ago)and it looked like there was on going work to me.

Privately funded project tend to take longer than publicly funded ones.

I am not sure if the public can see both sides of the monument or not right now.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #27

If you have the time visit the Indian Museum of North America at the Crazy Horse Memorial, my wife and I found it very interesting. They even had a few of the beads that were given to the Indians in trade for Manhattan Island.

I'm sure there will be skeptics so I'm posting a picture of the documentation.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 06-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #28

I spent so much time walking around looking and reading about all of the pictures and artifacts that I got into trouble because I was holding up the two who were with me.
I also almost forgot about taking a few pictures.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #29

I got a kick out of this T-Shirt that was for sale in the gift shop at Mount Rushmore.

We also enjoyed the Alpine Slide in nearby Keystone, SD. That was a lot of fun.

Don’t forget to visit the other side of Mt. Rushmore.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 06-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #30

How is the drive on rt 240 - Badlands Scenic Loop Byway? We were thinking we could make the loop on our way west and stop in Wall. It looks gorgeousand I am sure there will be many photo stops.
cowbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #31

I have a weird perspective on things sometimes but for some reason it always seems funny to celebrate the beauty of our country by drilling and blasting down half a mountain to put the faces of men on them. Even with Crazy Horse you would have to imagine if the ancient native Americans could see what we do to natural beauty they would probably laugh.....or roll their eyes.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Forest River Forums mobile app
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
I have a weird perspective on things sometimes but for some reason it always seems funny to celebrate the beauty of our country by drilling and blasting down half a mountain to put the faces of men on them. Even with Crazy Horse you would have to imagine if the ancient native Americans could see what we do to natural beauty they would probably laugh.....or roll their eyes.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Look at this way. Would you rather have a backyard view of Mt. Rushmore, or a windmill farm!

And, without those particular "men", you can bet this country, (and the world I might add, would look vastly different.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I was just there (two weeks ago)and it looked like there was on going work to me.

Privately funded project tend to take longer than publicly funded ones.

I am not sure if the public can see both sides of the monument or not right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Guess thats why crazy horse is still not completed and hasn't been worked on in quiet a while.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #34

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are planning our Rushmore/Devils Tower / Crazy Horse / Yellowstone loop now for the early fall.

Will be adding the great info here to make sure we take in as much as we can.
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #35
Site Team

I took the kids up there summer before last. They had to go down the Alpine slides two different days. They also really enjoyed the night time laser show at Crazy Horse more than anything at Mt. Rushmore. (it was neat)

I also like visiting some of the more unusual things. I took them to the geographic center of the US, which is near Belle Fourche, SD. The visitors center in Belle Fourche has a neat photo op there, but the actual geographic center is in a field 20 miles north from town (which you can go there, and we did).

Center of the Nation Visitor's Center - Belle Fourche*

They also liked the view from the Mount Coolidge Fire Tower in Custer State park.

http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/direct...-coolidge.aspx

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #36
Site Team

We still have the rocks they gave away from crazy horse here at home on the self from 12 years ago. The KOA by devils tower is a nice park with a great view. (Hope you like the movie close encounters.) Needles hwy is must do. Custer State Park is a great place as well.
Great place to go for sure!!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #37

We are into our second full day here and it's a blast!!! Made it to Devil's Tower, Crazy Horse Memorial, Mount Rushmore, and Rushmore Cave. Took a drive on the Needles Hiway and got to see a herd of bison. Off to Keystone today to see what is all there..
Been finding lots of road construction with the worst so far being on the road to Jewel Cave. Bout a 10 minute wait and single lane gravel past Jewel Cave and on both sides of the road up and down the hill...
Will try and post some pics when we get back.. Just on my daughter's IPad and am not exactly acing it..lol..

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #38

We'll be that way in a couple of weeks, in the midst of Sturgis (but not attending the rally), so I'm enjoying the comments as well. I'm happy to hear you're having a great trip so far!!! Can't wait!
Old 07-18-2014, 05:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wandering Irishman View Post
We'll be that way in a couple of weeks, in the midst of Sturgis (but not attending the rally), so I'm enjoying the comments as well. I'm happy to hear you're having a great trip so far!!! Can't wait!
Can I ask what your travelling route will be? We will be coming through Peoria and I am pretty sure our route but always looking for ideas.
Also, any information on campgrounds in or near Peoria. I found 2 and Mt Hawley looks closest to where we will be but it looks like a very busy road.
Thanks
cowbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbelle View Post
Can I ask what your travelling route will be? We will be coming through Peoria and I am pretty sure our route but always looking for ideas.
Also, any information on campgrounds in or near Peoria. I found 2 and Mt Hawley looks closest to where we will be but it looks like a very busy road.
Thanks
I posted our route just yesterday http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...aug-64701.html

Our primary destination is actually Colorado, we're coming home "the long way" through the Mount Rushmore area. I'm actually planning to take I-90 all the way to I-39 back to Bloomington, IL. I've made the drive through Waterloo, etc. onto I-74, and it's fine, but I prefer to add a little mileage and come through Wisconsin - the kids love Wisconsin Dells anyway.

As far as Peoria camping, I am not very familiar but will reach out to local friends for recommendations. I can recommend some around El Paso or Hudson, IL that are great, but I don't think that will help you as they'd be a drive from Peoria. I did read your thread on this here http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rea-63531.html

Tom