Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
daydreaming about camping

heading to Cheyenne Mountain, CO and Ridgeway CO in July

Going to spend the week of July 4 in Cheyenne Mountain and Ridgway state parks in CO. First trip pulling a rig into CO, a little worried about the road from Colorado Springs to Ouray...hope no one gets car sick!

Anyone have experience in these two parks? We found that we could get full hook up in the state parks, but not in the national forests.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #2

Cheyenne Mountain State Park has a really nice, clean campground but with very little shade. The restrooms were spotless and as I recall there were pay showers available. The park has quite a few hiking trails that were very easy to follow and there were markers with the GPS coordinates of your position along the trails. There is also a prairie dog town in the park.

I’ve never been to Ridgway State Park so I can’t help you with that. Here are a few photos from Cheyenne State Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4055.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	22685   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4057.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	22686   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4065.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	22687   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4081.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	22688  

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Going to spend the week of July 4 in Cheyenne Mountain and Ridgway state parks in CO. First trip pulling a rig into CO, a little worried about the road from Colorado Springs to Ouray...hope no one gets car sick!

Anyone have experience in these two parks? We found that we could get full hook up in the state parks, but not in the national forests.
Been to both. Cheyenne Mtn is one of the best in the CO system. Great park, all level spots. Even the back-ins are easy. I have a 34' rig and don't have a problem. Ridgeway also nice, and easy to get around. Roads in CO are generally good. Best way from Springs to Ouray is to take hwy24 from Springs to Johnson village, then hwy 50 thru gunnison to Montrose. From Montrose, take hwy 550 to Ridgway. Pretty straight shot all the way. Good luck and hope you enjoy our beautiful state.
dvgrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #4

Ridgeway park is a good park, stayed 4 days in 2008. Came across from Canon City crossing over Monnark Pass. It was our first time pulling in the mountains, just use your TV and save the brakes on the downhill side.

Have fun and keep on RVing.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #5

We are very excited about this trip, though it is still several months away.

Thanks for the information and advice.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Cheyenne Mountain State Park has a really nice, clean campground but with very little shade. The restrooms were spotless and as I recall there were pay showers available. The park has quite a few hiking trails that were very easy to follow and there were markers with the GPS coordinates of your position along the trails. There is also a prairie dog town in the park.

I’ve never been to Ridgway State Park so I can’t help you with that. Here are a few photos from Cheyenne State Park.
Hey Oakman - assuming you drove through KC, how long did it take you once you hit the KS state line to Cheyenne Mountain?

Old 03-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #7

We stayed at Cheyenne while visiting pikes peak and Colorado Springs area. Was a great park we were not there more than two nights and out and about all day so we did not do much in the park. Was a very nice park. We had a few visitors one morning during morning chow.

Name:	image-1320341443.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	26312

Name:	image-428946569.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	26313
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Hey Oakman - assuming you drove through KC, how long did it take you once you hit the KS state line to Cheyenne Mountain?
I can’t really help you much with the travel time from the state line to Cheyenne Mountain SP. Traveling from just south of St. Louis, we stopped in Lawrence, KS for the first night and the second night we stopped in Oakley, KS.
Cheyenne Mountain SP is almost 600 miles from Kansas City which is a long haul for one day considering fuel stops and breaks to eat. If you took two days to get there it would make for an easy trip.
Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #9

Quote:

We're reserved at Ridgway SP for the week of the 4th as well. First time there -- can't wait! We'll be leaving Co Springs (my home) the morning of the 2nd. If that jives with your schedule feel free to caravan with us!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #10

I've driven that area several times in recent years. Going West from Colorado Springs should not be a problem. The only difficulty that I think of is Monarch Pass. It's a good road and not toooo steep but keep your speed down on the downgrade. From there it's pretty much easy sailing to Montrose. You could take side trips to Crested Butte from Gunnison and through The Black Canyon of the Gunnison park. I think there may be an RV park near there.

From Montrose turn South to Ridgeway and Ouray. However, I would not recomend Red Mountain Pass South of Ouray. We've lost several snow plow drivers between there and Silverton. From Ridgeway you can proceed Southwest to Teluride and then on to Cortez and Durango. There is amazing scenery from Telluride South. You'll go by Mesa Verde National Park where there are decent RV facilities. I don't remember if they have full hookups. From Durango you can go back North to Silverton to see the old mining town or you can ride the Durango-Silverton railroad for the day trip. You probably need reservations for the traiin.

Hiway 160 East of Durango goes over Wolf Creek Pass which, again, will strain the tow vehicle somewhat but the roads are wide and well maintained and should not be a problem. Once you're in Alamosa you're practically back to Kansas.

Good luck and enjoy. I wish I could go with you but can't get away right now.

Bill, Denver
bspickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
We're reserved at Ridgway SP for the week of the 4th as well. First time there -- can't wait! We'll be leaving Co Springs (my home) the morning of the 2nd. If that jives with your schedule feel free to caravan with us!
We will pulling from Kansas City straight thru on Saturday June 30, staying at Cheyenne Mountain until Wednesday morning the 3rd, and then pulling over to Ridgeway near Ouray. We will pull out of Ridgeway on Saturday the 6th and probably stay somewhere in Kansas that night on the trip home.

Sounds like we will be in Cheyenne Mountain when you guys pull in. Hopefully we can say hi before we leave.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspickler View Post
I've driven that area several times in recent years. Going West from Colorado Springs should not be a problem. The only difficulty that I think of is Monarch Pass. It's a good road and not toooo steep but keep your speed down on the downgrade. From there it's pretty much easy sailing to Montrose. You could take side trips to Crested Butte from Gunnison and through The Black Canyon of the Gunnison park. I think there may be an RV park near there.

From Montrose turn South to Ridgeway and Ouray. However, I would not recomend Red Mountain Pass South of Ouray. We've lost several snow plow drivers between there and Silverton. From Ridgeway you can proceed Southwest to Teluride and then on to Cortez and Durango. There is amazing scenery from Telluride South. You'll go by Mesa Verde National Park where there are decent RV facilities. I don't remember if they have full hookups. From Durango you can go back North to Silverton to see the old mining town or you can ride the Durango-Silverton railroad for the day trip. You probably need reservations for the traiin.

Hiway 160 East of Durango goes over Wolf Creek Pass which, again, will strain the tow vehicle somewhat but the roads are wide and well maintained and should not be a problem. Once you're in Alamosa you're practically back to Kansas.

Good luck and enjoy. I wish I could go with you but can't get away right now.

Bill, Denver

Roger that. When I looked at the map Monarch was the pass as we drove west from Colorado Springs.

Once we get to Ridgeway, we will only be venturing out with the truck, so hopefully we can stay out of trouble. Plan to mostly hike in Ouray, but may try to make it into an old silver town as well.