Old 10-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
Site Team

Hot Springs Ar. CG suggestions?

Heading to AZ this winter and first stop on the way is Hot Springs Ar.
We'll stay 2 nights 1 day.
Need camp ground suggestions.
Also what is absolutely must see? Only 1 day for looking!
Thanks!

1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Dan, I liked Lake Catherine State Park, especially if you can get waterfront spots. There is a hydroelectric plant across from it, but I think I tuned the noise out and don't remember it bothering me at all. They have horseback rentals there too if you like that. Lake Ouachita State Park is nice too, but further away from Hot Springs.

Weezer stayed at a private campground there, kinda near Lake Catherine, that she gave great reviews on.

EDIT: I found the park. Here are some members talking about Catherine's Landing with Weezer

Arkansascamper

and here is their site:

http://www.rvcoutdoors.com/catherines-landing/

As far as things to do, (weather permitting) definitely take the duck boat tours, which will take you from downtown out onto Lake Hamilton. These are fun and we laughed a lot at our tour guide.

http://www.rideaduck.com/#

I just threw some salt over my shoulder for good luck. Ended up smashing a mirror with the salt shaker.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #3

Try Cloud Nine Park in Hot Springs. I'm interested in your take on it afterwards. I have not been there, but heard it's good and has all you need.

Go to a bathhouse and do a massage. No idea what it costs, but that's about the only absolutely unique and neat thing there, other than a bunch of blue haired old people.

What?

Wait........... oh.

Never mind.

DO try the massage.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Dan, Hot Springs is all about the water. Take you some jugs to fill for free from the public areas they have. You can buy jugs in the stores near there, but if you plan ahead you can save money. There are several places you can drive right up to and fill your jugs. There is hot water, and the other is cold.

I'll get a map to post for you. The water is good, I'll tell you that, and after you drink it, you'll regret not getting all you could, when you could.

I just threw some salt over my shoulder for good luck. Ended up smashing a mirror with the salt shaker.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Dan, the park service has a map of the free jug fill water locations. I like the Happy Hollow cold fountain and usually stop at it when coming down the mtn from the Lookout Tower (which is something to see too)

https://www.nps.gov/hosp/learn/natur...d/do_drink.pdf

Internet pic of Happy Hollow jug fill:

Old 10-18-2016, 04:44 PM   #6

The National Park Campground is very nice, and close to the Bathhouse Row. I would recommend walking through that area, and then drive some of the scenic routes on the NPS map. There is a great German restaurant on Central Ave.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #7

Easy access off Hwy 70 would be the KOA or Gulpha Gorge National Park. Hwy 270 would be Lake Catherine state park or Catherine Landing. Must see bath house row which the Nat'l park visitors center is located in one.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #8

I live in Hot Springs, and your two best bets are either Lake Catherine State Park or Catherine's Landing. Both have great on the water sites and both are fairly easy to get to. Although there are several other parks in the area, none stack up to the parks mentioned. Should you chose Lake Catherine State Park, try and reserve a spot in the 60-70 site # range, even numbered side. Those will be water front and more level that the lower numbered sites. Let me know should you need further assistance, I'll be glad to help if I can!
Old 10-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #9

Glad to hear Catherine's Landing is a good choice since we're about to stay there for a few days. Never been to Hot Springs before but looking forward to it. And yes, we booked a waterfront site :thumbup:
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:19 PM   #10

DEFINITELY Catherine's Landing.
Beautiful, well maintained, wonderful staff. Go on their website and see their amenities and read reviews. We loved the cg, I'm sure you will as well.
We've been there twice. And, if all goes as planned, we will be there for 2 weeks in November.