Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2016, 07:06 PM   #1

Hot Springs, AR suggestions?

DW and I will be spending a few days around Hot Springs the end of February for our anniversary. Anybody have suggestions what will be open and things to do while there?

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.
Jericog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:36 PM   #2

Leisure Landing RV Park, stayed a year ago. Small place with the nicest restrooms you will find. The owner will tell you everything there is to do when you check in.
caesar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
Site Team

The Duck rides are a hoot, depending on weather. The drivers can be hilarious.

I like the Mountain Tower, which lets you see a long ways. Take time to read all the information placards both at the top (outside) and the viewing deck (inside), below the top.

It's neat to just walk the downtown area. Make sure to visit the Fordyce bathhouse which is the National Park Visitors Center on bath house row. You can tour it too, to see how it was set up in it's operational heyday.

Walk into the Arlington Hotel (I actually honeymooned there) and check out their lobby (you can actually lounge around here and eat dinner or buy drinks without being a guest). There are some small retail shops and a restaurant below the Arlington that you can also check out. Al Capone used to stay at the Arlington. We liked the honeymoon suites, as they were large and comfortable, but have stayed there several years afterwards and the regular rooms are kinda cramped/old style.

History of Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa | Hotels in Hot Springs Arkansas

I kinda liked the new Gangster Museum not too far north of the Arlington on the same side of Hwy 7.

There is live horse racing at Oaklawn, but I don't know their schedule.

I've done several things as we had kids and took them there, or just vacationed that I don't feel are really worth the money/time..... but I don't really want to mention those, possibly affecting your visit to them.

Usually when I go there now or in the vicinity, it for the outdoor things like camping or the lake activities (Lake Degray, Lake Hamilton, or Lake Ouachita)

PS. Take or buy some water containers. There are several free public taps in the downtown area, where you can fill them with their excellent water...which is what Hot Springs is all about.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:21 PM   #4

Mcclards bbq is good there. Bill Clinton liked it enough for them to cater for him. They have an interesting story and get there early or to go. Been a while since I have needed to hot springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #5

We stayed at Catherine's landing very very clean well layout park. I would stay there again in heart beat. If you have AR fishing permits there is a small river with boat launch in the RV park.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #6

Hot springs

Second Catherine Landing
safrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #7

January 15th thru mid April is race season at Oaklawn Race track located in Hot Springs, Ark. I am not sure about RV parks but I can tell you for sure that traffic is terrible on race days (Thursday thru Sundays as well as a few Mondays.
Don't get me wrong, the Hot Springs area has a lot to offer. I am just saying giving you a heads up that the horse racing brings in a huge number of folks.
BBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #8

Do the Ghost Tour

We went there two years ago and really enjoyed the walking Ghost Tour. It was good exercise and great history. If the weather is good it was a great time. Bring comfortable walking shoes. I agree with WMTire, the Duck Rides are great as well.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
bigdaddy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
We stayed at Catherine's landing very very clean well layout park. I would stay there again in heart beat. If you have AR fishing permits there is a small river with boat launch in the RV park.
I third the motion!

2019 3350RLX
bigdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #10

Fantastic! Thanks for all the suggestions. We're really looking forward to the time off, plus now I have some ideas to surprise the DW with. . Hadn't thought of the traffic from the races. Thanks for the heads up.

Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway.
Jericog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #11

HS Nat Park has a nice little creekside campground at Gulpha Gorge. A forested setting right on the east edge of town. $30 full hookups, inc 50 amp. ($15 for us old folks.)
The racetrack is on the south side of town. This would let you avoid some of that mayhem. Traffic isn't too bad from 1:00pm to 5:00 pm. Folks are at the track.

Garvan Woodland Gardens is worth checking out. Also the HSNP tour to a natural spring under one of the bathhouses.
wetland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:08 AM   #12

I live in Hot Springs. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions. All the suggestions mentioned are worth checking out. But, for your stay, see if you can get a spot at Lake Catherine State Park. Full hookups and a great park. That's where we go for a quick outing. From there, you're 15-20 minutes from the center of town. Oaklawn is running, so it's worth stopping in for a corn beef and cold beer. Maybe drop a dollar on a race or two. Garvan Woodland Gardens are worth checking out as well. Last, but not least, stop by our little BBQ joint and introduce yourself! [url=http://www.ribcagehs.com]
philobeddoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #13

I like to walk the Promenade. I usually start somewhere around Bathhouse Row.
genehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
lake Ouachita state park is also very nice ,,catherines landing was great,, have stayed at both of these and will be going back
sonny bransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #15

Hot Springs, AR

Thanks for all the info. DH and I are planning at trip there in October. Any special info about that time of year?
RoyalFrog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #16

DeGray State Park is a beautiful, quiet park with full service 50 amp sites,near Hot Springs.

But is you are in Hot Springs, you must "Take the waters!" The baths at any of the remaining bathhouses are by appointment only. It is a trip to the 30s style of pampering for both men and women. One side is for women and the other is side for men. Relax and enjoy for 2 to 2.5 hours.
bobkathy78759 is offline   Reply With Quote