Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2017, 05:18 PM   #21

TxTag

We're from Ohio and took the loop around Austin without a TxTag. Got a bill a month later. Very reasonable cost to eliminate the I-35 traffic horror.
maryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #22

Being no lawyer, I believe charging out of state customers more is possibly a violation of the Interstate Commerce Act.

And charging a penalty or fine for not paying on the first bill would seem to be easily defendable in court.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #23
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyNiq View Post
Just do yourself a favor and setup an account and have them mail you a tag. I use the EZTag which is good on all toll roads in the state of TX except some road going to the Dallas Airport. (I live in Houston and won't be using that airport anyway)

www.hctra.org Harris County Toll Road Authority

As someone previously mentioned, your CC will be billed $40 to set up the account and establish a balance. $15 will be deducted for the EZTag.

Now... I've been told I should notify them when I tow one of my trailers so they will have it on file, but I never have. I have a triple axle 5er and when I check my account, I see where I have a higher charge for the extra axles.

Just avoid the headache and get the tag and you will not have to deal with elevated fines, fees, etc
If you get the TX Tag, they do not charge for the tag. It is free. They will send it to you in the mail. Otherwise, yes. And if you don't use it, nothing happens. The account will remain active and unchanged. When I had to close my Dad's after he passed away, it was no problem closing the account and refunding the money. I have had no problems using the TX Tag on any of the toll roads in Houston.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #24

Tolls

Glad got this post tonight, I knew I got on a new road North of Houston that I didn't know was a toll. Went to their web site and under missed toll option was able find and pay my toll. Only a extra $1.50 administration fee. All done no more waiting on a bill. www.hctra.org Harris County Toll Road Authority.
traindrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Being no lawyer, I believe charging out of state customers more is possibly a violation of the Interstate Commerce Act.

And charging a penalty or fine for not paying on the first bill would seem to be easily defendable in court.
You're better off just paying it. These public-private partnerships basically have all of the power and authority of government with none of the oversight, IMHO. I sold a truck and the new owner drove down some toll roads. I got the bill. Called and said I had sold the truck. I lived ~90 miles from the toll road and this was an old 1971 Ford farm truck that never went more than 10 miles or so from the house (was around 2010 at the time.) Was told it just hadn't shown a change of ownership and not to worry about it. So I didn't. About the third bill with mounting fees, I became concerned and called again. Was told that tolls incurred before change of ownership and I was responsible. I contacted the office that handled title transfers and got a copy of the title the new owner had submitted. He had changed the date!!!! It was obvious- even the TxDOT person knew it had been changed. Supposed to be a crime. Think anyone did anything about it? Nope. Well, they did do something- they told me I would have to pay the original bill-they waived the late fees- or I'd eventually lose my license. I've never been so outraged in my life. I could have taken it to court and easily won, but who would go through all of that for less than $20? Well, upon further consideration, with some of the nut job judges we have these days, I might not have even won the case....
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #26

Thanks for all the help. As to the route, we're doing New Orleans first, then taking I10, then TX146, then I45 around the bay to Galveston. I've been told the only tolls are for the express lanes so I might not even get any, and in case I do, I can pay Harris County on line. Once I'm down there I'll ask some locals.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #27
B47

Dustman- six - Texas has a DMV form ( don't recall the name or number) that you can use to notify them that a vehicle has been sold. It keeps things like this from happening.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #28

Be careful in the Houston area. They will fine you by mail. The only way to use those tollways without a transponder is to "pre-pay online" There is a website that allows you to pay the expected tolls with a credit card and associating with your license plates. They will bill and fine out of state drivers.

https://www.hctra.org/EZTAGExpress
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Dustman- six - Texas has a DMV form ( don't recall the name or number) that you can use to notify them that a vehicle has been sold. It keeps things like this from happening.
I'm well aware of this now. One of those things you won't know you don't know but the state expects you to know, right? But, help me understand the point of having the form. I have a title that I date. Enforce the law regarding forging or changing the title and I don't need yet ANOTHER stupid government form!!!! Rant over.
dustman_stx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #30
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'm well aware of this now. One of those things you won't know you don't know but the state expects you to know, right? But, help me understand the point of having the form. I have a title that I date. Enforce the law regarding forging or changing the title and I don't need yet ANOTHER stupid government form!!!! Rant over.
I believe that I learned of it when we received a renewal registration notice for a vehicle we no longer owned. The information was on the paperwork.

Glad your ranting is over (or is it?)

This too shall pass.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #31
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAK View Post
Thanks for all the help. As to the route, we're doing New Orleans first, then taking I10, then TX146, then I45 around the bay to Galveston. I've been told the only tolls are for the express lanes so I might not even get any, and in case I do, I can pay Harris County on line. Once I'm down there I'll ask some locals.
I haven't been to the east side towards 146 in quite a while. I know that it, or around it, are supposed to become or are already part of the Grand Parkway. If that is the case, you may need to watch for some tolls depending on how much they have done there. Otherwise, nothing to worry about on I-10 or I-45.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:33 PM   #32

The only thing to watch about on I-45 is the traffic! A couple of months ago I drove from Houston to Galveston on I-45... traffic was unbelievable.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #33

Ended up taking I10 > 8 Sam Houston Toll Road > I45. There is a cash toll booth on 8 at the exit to I45, cost me $5.25 for 4 axles. There are several exits along the way that do not accept cash, TXTag only, but the major cross roads appear to have booths. No more tolls all the way to Galveston Island. Traffic on a Sunday afternoon was reasonable, there was one big back up going the other way towards Houston in a construction zone. So all in all it wasn't so bad.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #34

We are going to Galveston, and Houston, several times a year so we got the EZTag. It works great all over Texas, and is very easy to work with.
Dodge Ram 2500 HD Cummins
2018 Ultra Limited
HyperCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Better to get a TXTag. While all the tags in general play nice, the TX Tag will cover all toll roads in Texas. I am not sure about out of state. But you can get a TX Tag via mail. You are correct that there are no more toll booths. And I'm not sure I would trust the picture taking charging. Like CC75 said, the best way to avoid any trouble is to call them directly. TX Tag website is https://www.txtag.org/en/home/index.shtml or call them toll free at 1-888-468-9824.

And the bridge crossing into Galveston is not a toll...at least not that I know of. There is a bridge crossing the Houston Ship Channel that is toll, but that is now integrated into the Sam Houston Tollway for the most part. That is the only bridge that I'm aware of. You can take the ferry across from Galveston to Bolivar Peninsula for free.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
There is a toll bridge from the west end of the island across San Luis Pass to Matagorda County (cash only). The Causeway (I-45) is free. The Ferry from the Island to High Island is free as well. The ferry on the other hand has terrible wait times.

Toll transponders are offered by three different agencies in Texas. TXDOT, North Texas Tollway Authority (NTTA), and Harris County Toll Road Authority (HCTRA). They ALL have the EXACT interoperability inside and outside of Texas. NTTA's Toll Tag is the most user friendly. HCTRA's EZ Pass is the absolute worst.

Honestly, avoiding tollways in Houston is fairly easy. In relation to Galveston none of the Tollways really are necessary. There is a free freeway alternative to all of them. Beltway 8 is nearly as congested as the free freeways. If you choose to use HOUSTON AREA tollways, Pay-by-mail is not an available payment option on toll roads operated by Harris County.

https://www.hctra.org/TollRoadInformation
gaberdine is offline   Reply With Quote