Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #21

Who collects monies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
Not sure what you meant by any more state workers. There are no toll booths on the new bridges at Louisville and I don't believe there were any proposed on a replacement for the BS Bridge.

Your statement about snowbirds and residents of other states crossing the bridge is true. Tolls on the bridge would apply to ALL USERS - regardless of where they are from.

Indiana and Kentucky are putting together a proposal for a new bridge on I-69 at Evansville and all of the options include tolling. One alternative that might emerge is leaving the current "Twin Bridges" in place for local traffic, although the cost for ongoing upkeep might eliminate that option.
What current "state" department is large enough to collect the toll money? How big would this department have to be, to collect 120,000 tolls.....every day?

I won't have to worry about it, I won't see a new bridge. :-)
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #22

My observation when traveling in the Chicago area is the vast majority of vehicles use an I-Pass/E-Z Pass transponder eliminating the need to stop at a toll booth. Louisville uses either the transponder or allows you to mail in the toll. There is a $ 2.00 upcharge if you do the mail-in - i.e. $ 2.00 for a car with a transponder or $ 4.00 mail-in. I have no idea what % of tolls actually get mailed in.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #23

Still...what department

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
My observation when traveling in the Chicago area is the vast majority of vehicles use an I-Pass/E-Z Pass transponder eliminating the need to stop at a toll booth. Louisville uses either the transponder or allows you to mail in the toll. There is a $ 2.00 upcharge if you do the mail-in - i.e. $ 2.00 for a car with a transponder or $ 4.00 mail-in. I have no idea what % of tolls actually get mailed in.
I understand there won't be humans physically taking money, further backing up traffic, but SOMEONE or something, has to open the mail and makes deposits. Folks don't seem to be thinking through toll expense management, and how much of "the toll", will be put aside for management and not paying down the debt! Still doesn't make any sense to me. Simply add $.03-$.05 "fee",per gallon, for BOTH diesel and gas, in regional states, and use existing FEDERAL departments to manage the money, not just Kentucky! We don't need MORE government in our business around here. I'm sorry if this sounds "red neck" and petty, but we don't have tolls around here for anything now, and don't need to start.

"I have no idea what % of tolls actually get mailed in." This % should be 100%! This supports my "fuel" fee. We don't need toll police.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote