Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #1

Huntsville, Tx State Park

new to tt camping (had a Roadtrek previously - put lots of camping miles on it) so the Wife and I are planning on a couple/few short distance 2 or 3 day trips, to get used to it

we're just south of Huntsville so drove there today (sans trailer) to check out the place - liked what we saw and will do our 1st trip there, in a week, or so

very woodsie on a small lake - no fishing license required within our SPs - later my Wife will take her Niece and 3 grand Nieces there for a weekend of bike riding, nature walks and fishing - should be fun for all of them

the Park was almost empty of campers and will be VERY quite for our stay - the Park Hosts outnumbered the campers

we've also signed up the the Texas SP annual pass as we'll probably use quite a few of them this coming year.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Huntsville is a neat little park. I've had it on my list for a while, but just haven't made it there. You should also check out LIvingston State Park. It's another really nice one. The lake is not wholly inside the State Park, so you will need a license to fish, but it's a great park.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #3

Couldn't get into Huntsville sp last month so we went to Goliad sp nice park. Try bastrop or Stephen f Austin state parks. We really enjoyed them. Now we want to try Tyler sp. we are just south of Houston and also want to try matagorda lcra. Have a good time at Huntsville
eisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Haulin' Camp

I've been to Huntsville SP many times. Great place with good fishing, alligator watching, and a swimming area for summer (gets very crowded with day users)! Livingston SP is my preferred campground. You can fish with no license as long as you stay on dry land in the park. Both Huntsville SP and Livingston SP have riding stables with horses provided.

The annual park pass will easily pay for itself in no time. Make sure to use your half price camping coupons (stored electronically on the card) when you check in at the park office.

Have fun!
2 Dogs

KewlKamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #5

thanks to all for the comments - yep, will be sure to use the 1/2 price coupons - will post pics from the visit.....Bill
Old 09-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #6

Livingston State Park would be my choice over Huntsville. Do they have sewer at Huntsville? When I lasted checked they did not. Livingston State Park is very nice
but I live close by and would not go there much before October because it is to HOT. I do have 2 ACs in my fifth wheel and because of the shade there it is not to bad. But I don't want want to sit by the campfire in 95 degree heat. Good fishing!
After Labor Day you can find a place but some times during the summer they both are full. If I am going to be there for a few days, I must have sewer, my better half wouldn't have it any other way.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #7

I don't know when you last checked but yes - there are sewer hook-ups on the loop where we will set-up (haven't decided which one we want as yet - hardly anyone camping) - also a "community" dump station for those who don't have one at their site

the Raven Hill Trailer Area - $25 per night - pull-thru, 30/50amp, water, sewer, picnic table, fire ring, restrooms w/hot-cold showers.....there are 24 sites

the back-in sites don't have sewer hook-ups, nor do the "camping" sites

look up the Park on the internet - tells all about it
Old 09-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #8

Huntsville SP trip over

checked in to Huntsville SP Wednesday morning and got back today (Friday) - we enjoyed the park and the 1st camping trip in the new tt, being towed with the new F150 ecoboost

went up the freeway on the way to the SP to the Pilot travel stop on Hwy 45 - to get the rig weighed - all went well there - then on to the Park

almost vacant so we were able to go into the all-hook-up area (Raven Hill) and see which site we wanted.

the tt worked as advertized but I didn't have it quite level so the fridge stopped working - lucky we had an ice chest to keep stuff cold 'till I did a better job with the leveling

need to do a better job too on getting organized (I'm a stickler for organization) - where to put what, for example

gotta say that our 3 children (Shiba dogs) got along quite well and seemed to enjoy the outing

we drove to Lake Livingston SP and did a "tour" thru it - to tell the truth I believe I like Huntsville better - it's prettier and better maintained - the one thing that Livingston has going for it is the Lake, where Huntsville's Lake is tiny, Livingston is LARGE - we stopped at a nice KOA, on the Lake in Onalaska - just to look

will probably check out another local state park in about a week (but it won't be Livingston..)

all set up

view thru the trees

Huntsville SP road

Sam Houston Natn'l Forest - just North of our house
Old 09-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
Now a "Top Member"

Nice report. Another one we keep trying to get to is Stephen F. Austin. If you get that way, let us know how it goes.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #10

will do - will "report" wherever we camp (inquiring minds want to know..).....Bill
Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #11

We just checked out McKinney Falls SP below Austin. BEAUTIFUL trails and creek side hiking. Sites were large and nice with room for tent as well. 9-21 had 50amp and the rest had 30amp with full hookups. Nice bathrooms and showers. There are plenty of things to do in the area. $24 a night. We have a 32 fifth wheel and they said the sites only fit 30 but we easily could fit in most of the sites if we unhooked. I think they were referring to coaches over 30 feet. We were about 2 hours south in San Antonio at the world skeet shooting Championship and just drove up to McKinney to Check it out for future. You can swim and play in the waterfalls there which was a bonus in the Texas heat.
Ford F250 4x4
Prime Time Crusader 320RLT Touring Edition
2013 days 7
Mpwelch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisbell View Post
Couldn't get into Huntsville sp last month so we went to Goliad sp nice park. Try bastrop or Stephen f Austin state parks. We really enjoyed them. Now we want to try Tyler sp. we are just south of Houston and also want to try matagorda lcra. Have a good time at Huntsville
We live about 20 miles from Tyler SP. Great park, nice sites, lake, hiking biking trails. First Saturday of every month, a group of Dutch oven cookers come and
Serve lunch to any and all.
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #13

Hmm, think well need to add this to our "not far from home trips" that we like to take on a long weekend. Especially like the Dutch Oven night, sounds like a couple of "vacation pounds" just waiting to happen.
coderider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderider View Post
Hmm, think well need to add this to our "not far from home trips" that we like to take on a long weekend. Especially like the Dutch Oven night, sounds like a couple of "vacation pounds" just waiting to happen.
I agree coderider. I spent a lot of time in my late teens in the Tyler area and really like it. Especially the Lake Palestine area. Tyler SP has been on our list and we'll get to it eventually. Maybe sooner now that we see the Dutch Oven night! And if the first Saturday of the month also coincides with the first Monday, you can head over to Canton and walk off the Dutch Oven affects at Trade Days there.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #15

Just so you are not disappointed on your arrival for the dutch oven meal ----- it is lunch not dinner..
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Hob

This is straying from the subject a little but I have a question. Is this Huntsville State Park near the infamous Huntsville prison in TX?
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
This is straying from the subject a little but I have a question. Is this Huntsville State Park near the infamous Huntsville prison in TX?
One and the same, yessir Hob. However, the prison is up the road a few miles (about 10 or so). The prison is on the north side of Huntsville, and the park is on the south side. And you have Big Sam (statue of Sam Houston) to watch over you as well.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 10-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
("infamous" ?) yup - Huntsville State Prison - a gated community.. some have made it a life-long commitment while other folks are just dyin' to get out - nice place to visit but wouldn't wanna live there.....Bill
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
Hob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
("infamous" ?) yup - Huntsville State Prison - a gated community.. some have made it a life-long commitment while other folks are just dyin' to get out - nice place to visit but wouldn't wanna live there.....Bill
The reason I said infamous is because the people in this silly state (IL) don't believe in killing those that deserve it.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthelen
Just so you are not disappointed on your arrival for the dutch oven meal ----- it is lunch not dinner..
Lunch works too. An opportunity to real end with new friends is always a great time.
coderider is offline   Reply With Quote