Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #1

I-80 Trip

Howdy all;

Just thought I'd throw this out and see what comes back.

Planning a Oregon-to-Illinois trip along I-80 this month. Having some trouble finding RV overnight spots in places like Rawlins, WY and a couple other places.

Does anyone have any insight on bad road conditions (just bad roads, not the current weather)? How about places to hang your hat overnight if there isn't an RV park close by, or even if there is.

Any experience along this route is appreciated if you should decide to share it. Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Steve
Days camped 2013 = 51 (as of 26 Apr)
NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Have you looked at campgroundreviews.com they show a couple in Rawlings. We use that web site alot for finding parks. As to I-80 pretty good interstate, just windy at times.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I could help you near the quad cities on 80 but then your almost to Illinois by then
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

Where in IL are you headed to?
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #5

living in iowa i never cared for i 80 especially in and around des moines and omaha/ council bluffs but i have always lived in smaller communities and dont like all the traffic. that being said it is like any other interstate some parts rough some parts not bad. i would suggest a stop at the i80 truckstop in walcott ia it is billed as the largest truck stop in the country you can get any thing from a tire fixed to your dog washed
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
living in iowa i never cared for i 80 especially in and around des moines and omaha/ council bluffs but i have always lived in smaller communities and dont like all the traffic. that being said it is like any other interstate some parts rough some parts not bad. i would suggest a stop at the i80 truckstop in walcott ia it is billed as the largest truck stop in the country you can get any thing from a tire fixed to your dog washed
Don't forget the onsite....
Dentist.
Masseuse.
Chrome shop.
Barber shop AND beauty shop.
Embroidered anything store.
Get ur taxes done.
Movie theater "I think its still there"
There is now the truckers hall of fame museum.

Etc etc etc
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #7

That stretch in Wyoming on I-80 like Rock Springs, Rawlins and Laramie is chock full of oil and gas well workers in all the RV parks or at least they were last summer. Maybe plan a stay on the Utah side and boom on through that stretch of Wyoming.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Last time we traveled I80 from Moline, IL to Monroe,IA turnoff it is as rough as a plowed field with the only difference being it's concrete. Absolutely one of the worst sections of interstate I've driven with the exception of I10 just east of New Orleans.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Last time we traveled I80 from Moline, IL to Monroe,IA turnoff it is as rough as a plowed field with the only difference being it's concrete. Absolutely one of the worst sections of interstate I've driven with the exception of I10 just east of New Orleans.
Course that was back when they discovered dirt.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Course that was back when they discovered dirt.
2008 and I doubt they've done anything with it since.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

2008 and I doubt they've done anything with it since.
Lol ok
Old 05-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #12

Smile Thanks

Thanks all for your input. Yeah, I pulled an old 33 ft 5er across that stretch in 1980 and all the potted plants in the rear tub were busted to pieces because of the frost heaves . I'm hoping it's in better shape these days. Can't be any worse than the I5/99 stretch down through CA, the worst roads I've ever encountered . Also thanks for the tip on the boomers in WY, I'll call ahead and make sure of availability . I'm thinking for just traveling through most places, reservations won't be needed as won't care that much if the site is the best one in the place. It's going to be a long haul (8 days), hope I can hold out, let alone the equipment. Second long haul with the new 1013 Wildcat Maxx. It did well the first trip, so high hopes for this one cause have a couple more planned for the season.

Nevada
Old 05-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaM View Post
Thanks all for your input. Yeah, I pulled an old 33 ft 5er across that stretch in 1980 and all the potted plants in the rear tub were busted to pieces because of the frost heaves . I'm hoping it's in better shape these days. Can't be any worse than the I5/99 stretch down through CA, the worst roads I've ever encountered . Also thanks for the tip on the boomers in WY, I'll call ahead and make sure of availability . I'm thinking for just traveling through most places, reservations won't be needed as won't care that much if the site is the best one in the place. It's going to be a long haul (8 days), hope I can hold out, let alone the equipment. Second long haul with the new 1013 Wildcat Maxx. It did well the first trip, so high hopes for this one cause have a couple more planned for the season.

Nevada
1013 huh?

She's an oldy huh?
Still got warranty on her?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:

Nevada
I80 wasn't too bad in 76-81, but has deteriorated since. Don't imagine they've done anything to improve it since we traveled it in 2008.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #15

Update

Well, we're off like herd of turtles as the saying goes. 5 days into it (half way through ) having stayed at Baker City, OR; Glenn's Ferry, ID; Ogdon, UT; Rawlins, WY; now staying at Cabela's in Sidney, NE. Just sat through some nasty weather . Pulled in just in time for the tornado watch, dime-nickel sized hail and rain. No damage , but lots of noise on the 5er. So far the roads have been great for the most part. Now that we're out on the flats, the driving is easier, just windy and loads of trucks on the road. Have to watch those guys, a couple have crowded me across the line. So far the new Wildcat Maxx has performed great, tows nicely and hasn't given us any trouble . Headed for Henderson, NE; Kellog, IA, then on into Central Illinois. May the force be with us for the rest of the trip.

Later;
Old 05-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Well, we're off like herd of turtles as the saying goes. 5 days into it (half way through ) having stayed at Baker City, OR; Glenn's Ferry, ID; Ogdon, UT; Rawlins, WY; now staying at Cabela's in Sidney, NE. Just sat through some nasty weather . Pulled in just in time for the tornado watch, dime-nickel sized hail and rain. No damage , but lots of noise on the 5er. So far the roads have been great for the most part. Now that we're out on the flats, the driving is easier, just windy and loads of trucks on the road. Have to watch those guys, a couple have crowded me across the line. So far the new Wildcat Maxx has performed great, tows nicely and hasn't given us any trouble . Headed for Henderson, NE; Kellog, IA, then on into Central Illinois. May the force be with us for the rest of the trip.

Later;
Honk at hiway 38 tipton exit in Iowa!
Hope all goes well tonight!

Turbs
Old 05-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #17

They must have blown up and replaced the whole road since some of you have taken it. I pull TTs and FWs a dozen times a year from Elkhart to Denver on I80. Some rough spots in western Illinois, some construction everywhere else, otherwise fine. I have certainly traveled many other interstates that that were far worse. I'll take I80 anytime. It is my road of choice when going northeast. Worst part is through south Chicago and Gary, In. You may be able to avoid that area depending on your destination in Illinois.
Best part - trucker's route, lots of fuel and travel stops.
Worst part - Trucker's route, lots of semi's

Ken

04.5 CTD 2500 Dodge 6spd manual
2014 Flagstaff 8528ckws
elkabong is offline   Reply With Quote