Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #1

Arrow Illinois to Florida (Tampa - Fort De Soto)

In a few weeks we are traveling to Florida from northern Illinois. I have checked the GPS, Google Maps etc. All seem to give a few choices for routes.

Anyone travel this route and what would be considered the "best" route with least amount of "aggravation". Cruse Control is my friend and would like to keep that engaged for hours The route of least resistance, not stopping at any cities on the way down to Florida.

Looks like I-57 to I-75?
OR
I-65 to I-75?

We plan on breaking this trip into two days, maybe three, so finding a nice spot to camp overnight is in the cards for us as well.

Thanks for any advise!
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #2

Bummer, was hoping for some wisdom in this thread. How about trip stop ideas? Places to visit on the way? Things you found and are on your Don't Miss list?
Old 05-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #3

I leave from southern Illinois so my route would be different. I go I57 to I24 to I75.

I spend the night at Chattanooga TN at the Holiday Travel park. $38 with good sam discount.
Then the next night at Lake Park GA at a campground next to Camping World of Valdosta in Lake Park, GA. Camping World used to own it but they sold it to an individual. It cost me $25.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #4

You might get some response if you include what it is you are traveling in? MH,5wh,TT. Part of the fun is the unknown
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You might get some response if you include what it is you are traveling in? MH,5wh,TT. Part of the fun is the unknown
Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I didn't think it mattered as long as its rubber side down.

Pulling a small 20' Travel Trailer.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
I leave from southern Illinois so my route would be different. I go I57 to I24 to I75.

I spend the night at Chattanooga TN at the Holiday Travel park. $38 with good sam discount.
Then the next night at Lake Park GA at a campground next to Camping World of Valdosta in Lake Park, GA. Camping World used to own it but they sold it to an individual. It cost me $25.
I may in fact be taking that route, close to it anyway. I went to school at SIU in Carbondale back in the day (Don't hold it against me). "Giant City, fat man squeeze, spill-way, Zips Fries, and the bagel man", a lot of fond memories from Southern Illinois.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kevin View Post
I may in fact be taking that route, close to it anyway. I went to school at SIU in Carbondale back in the day (Don't hold it against me). "Giant City, fat man squeeze, spill-way, Zips Fries, and the bagel man", a lot of fond memories from Southern Illinois.
I went to SIU-C also, just not for very long, had to drop out to marry my first wife. I live about 20 miles from Carbondale.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
I went to SIU-C also, just not for very long, had to drop out to marry my first wife. I live about 20 miles from Carbondale.
Good times at SIU, and learned a few things too. <grin>

Thanks for the info, I looked up and found both places, I may end up booking them both for our trip. They are highly rated and offer us some good options to do things while visiting.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #9

Whats is your route once you hit the Tampa area.? How are you getting over to Ft. DeSoto?

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #10

Illinois to Florida (Tampa - Fort De Soto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btritschler1437 View Post
Whats is your route once you hit the Tampa area.? How are you getting over to Ft. DeSoto?

Guess it will depend on traffic at the time we arrive in the area, looks like three options. You have a recommendation?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:19 AM   #11

We live in St. Petersburg, FL and travel that way (north) every year. Our route is I-75 to I-24 to I-57 to I-39 to I-90/94 to the La Crosse area. As you probably know I-57 is a LONG BORING haul, but the rest of that route isn't to bad. As far as when you get to Tampa, take I-275 across the bay (Howard Franklin Bridge) to 54th Ave S / Bayway exit (can't remember the exit number). Take the Bayway split at the exit (stay right). You'll go thru a toll booth (SunPass) before you get to the left turn that will take you into the park. There will be another toll booth on this road before you actually get into the park. Campground entrance will be on the right.

Don't get confused on the Pinellas side of the bay, there's a 54th Ave N exit, a 22nd Ave N exit as well as a 22nd Ave S exit and a 54 Ave S exit. St. Pete is layed out in a pretty organized way. Central Ave in downtown St Pete is the divide for the North and South avenues. Remember, you want the 54th Ave S/Bayway exit.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
We live in St. Petersburg, FL and travel that way (north) every year. Our route is I-75 to I-24 to I-57 to I-39 to I-90/94 to the La Crosse area. As you probably know I-57 is a LONG BORING haul, but the rest of that route isn't to bad. As far as when you get to Tampa, take I-275 across the bay (Howard Franklin Bridge) to 54th Ave S / Bayway exit (can't remember the exit number). Take the Bayway split at the exit (stay right). You'll go thru a toll booth (SunPass) before you get to the left turn that will take you into the park. There will be another toll booth on this road before you actually get into the park. Campground entrance will be on the right.

Don't get confused on the Pinellas side of the bay, there's a 54th Ave N exit, a 22nd Ave N exit as well as a 22nd Ave S exit and a 54 Ave S exit. St. Pete is layed out in a pretty organized way. Central Ave in downtown St Pete is the divide for the North and South avenues. Remember, you want the 54th Ave S/Bayway exit.

Thanks for the great info! That's pretty much how we got here (last Saturday) right now it's pouring rain, actually has been each day... but still a great place.

Any suggestions on beaches in the st. Pete area? We did go to one one, but maybe you know some nice gems? Beaches are closed here at fort de Soto, due to poor water quality.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #13

If you head up the beaches you have St. Pete Beach, Treasure Island. Madeira Beach, Redington Beach, Indian Rocks, Belair, Clearwater. I think they are all nice. From Ft. desoto, St. Pete beach is the closest. It is a nice, wide beach. There are numerous restaurants along the beaches.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #14

Smile

actually, don't forget what might be one of the best PUBLIC free beaches in the country, in my humble opinion: Sand Key

and secondly: Honeymoon Island State Park, including a dog friendly beach : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161225180012_IMG_0755.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	141156   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161228084957_IMG_0778.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	141158  
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:28 AM   #15

Just got back! Had a nice time in Florida. We ended up visiting st. Pete beach (very nice), treasure island as well. Fort de Soto beaches were "closed" due to water quality issues (high pollution). The camp ground was very nice and well kept. Lots of rain during our trip, and can get very messy with all the sand and dirt at the camp spot. The fishing piers were amazing and we caught a few nice ones. The dolphins will pull your catch off the line, so pull it in quick.

We found a few nice stops along the way. One of our stops was just two hours from fort desoto called Travelers Rest Area. It's more of a retirement community (RV park) very clean, amazing bathroom facilities, and just perfect for an overnight stay.

Another spot we stayed at (recommended above) in Chattanooga... Holiday Travel Park. Great stop! I didn't want to unhook, so I asked around if any restaurants would deliver food. (We didn't feel like preparing food after our 10 hours on the road) One nice guy parked next to us just tossed me the keys to his car, and said Take my car! I was in shock. I reluctantly did, and he was just so happy to offer assistance, and I couldn't turn him down!

We also ended up stopping at Camp Gulf on the way back north.... what an over rated over priced spot. Was the most expensive placed I have ever stayed. Employees are great, sites are close together, only a few beach front spots, not at all what we expected. I'm sure a lot of people love it, and we made the best of it and still enjoyed our stay.

Few camp gulf issues (only because it was so expensive). lucky I had a 50 to 30 amp adapter. The 30 amp receptacle was bad. Bathroom toilets were all over flowing, not fixed after two days. Wifi signal strength looked good, but internet only worked when close to office. They actually charge extra to use small water slide (no thanks... and the slide was empty). People drive around the loop continuously in golf carts blasting music, was kinda funny, like the kids that just drive around in circles showing off cars at the local hangout. So I guess, if your not out shopping (Destin FL is a strip mall), at the beach or pool, you drive around in circles in your golf cart?

It was an adventure. We have a bunch of interesting stories from our trip and can't wait to hit the road again.