Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #1

Illinois to LA, TX or Miss

Im thinking of taking my 3 kids to Louisiana, Texas or Mississippi for the month of December, instead of Florida. Was wanting to stay along a beach. Is it warm enough to do this? What is a good campground that is child friendly? We aren't really fisherman, just looking for a quiet place to relax and enjoy the holiday, get to know the locals and sightsee! I have never camped in any of the southern states so if Florida is a better option, please let me know. We didn't know if Louisiana near Holly Beach would be quieter and budget friendly compared to FL.
Looking for something different this year.
Nights camped 2015 3
Duramax mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
William

I live on the coast in La, and there are no beaches that would even compare to Florida. Holly Beach would be budget friendly, but not much to do there and not really close to anything. I would recommend Texas. We like South Padre Island. Weather shouldn't be extreme there and its a pretty laid back place, and still has things to do.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Camper Less Camping

From LA to North Florida, they are all on the same latitude, thus, all the beach areas here will be cool during December...mostly.

If you're looking for crystal clear water, search between Pensacola and Fort Walton...otherwise South Texas will be your best beach option over LA and MS.

In AL, Orange Beach is an attractive beach area

Sent via Cajun Po-Boy's Tech Gear

Old 09-08-2014, 11:48 PM   #4

I can't speak for La beaches. We drug our boat from Texas to Florida last April. We fish Texas all the time. It can get cold in December here (Texas). My wife loves beach combing. We enjoyed the florabama area and rented a condo with a boat slip on Perdido Key. Now while I loved it everything in Fl I found was based in the square inch and pricey. Beaches were the best though.

Second was Miss around Gulfport/ Biloxi area for white sand.

Texas has tons of RV spots. Going on the cheap look at Port Aransas I.B. MaGee RV Park. It is right off the beach. It only has 30 amp hook up and no sewer on site (one common dump). But it runs about 15 per night. It has carded shower and bathroom facilities as well. Nothing fancy though. Good resteraunts an tourist friendly during the off season and you can walk for miles on the beach.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #5

If you want the beach in December then southern Florida, below Palm Beach is the only place to go. I live in SE Texas and travel to LA, MS and AL lots and they are not places for December beach. Most of Florida in not beach in December. I went to college in Florida and spent 18 winters in Hollywood and for the best winter weather in the 48 states, it is southern Florida. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #6

We have decide to try Texas since we are only going in December, during the college kid winter break! any campgrounds that are kid friendly, on the beach? Kids are 10y-21y plan to stay a month.
Nights camped 2015 3
Duramax mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #7

I am not sure if your route will put you near Fredericksburg or not, but if it does they light up the center of the town for Christmas. There is the Pacific War Museum and a number of pioneer museums.

Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park is where I like to stay.

I agree there really aren't may beaches in Louisiana. If you want a nice beach you really have to go to Alabama or Texas.

I don't think your likely routes from Illinois will take you through the panhandle area if you are headed to South Padre Island. The panhandle can be very interesting.

As far as weather goes, if the forecast trend is for the winter weather to be further south this year, it could still be a little nippy through much of Texas, but nothing like Illinois.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #8

South Padre Island is the only Texas beach that can be nice in December and I stated can be! It is to cool in Texas most Decembers. South Padre Island is a spring break beach in March and it can even be a little cool then. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #9

Can't go wrong with Galveston, Texas. It has everything you could want.
Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote