Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2017, 06:14 PM   #1
Sham183

Just a friendly heads up on a campground.

So this weekend we are up in the Wisconsin dells. We thought we would have a good time by camping before the summer turns to winter and things get put away. It was a last minute idea to come to the dells but we were lucky to find a campground or so we thought. We are staying at American resort and campground. Reviews were ok and pictures were to. Well that's about where it ends. We get to the site and check in was smooth. Now the fun begins. We reserved a full hook up black top site. One of the few that were left. Wow I was a little surprised when we got to the actual camp site. This was in the middle of the driveway where they put 2 sewer holes in the ground and put a pedestal out for power and water. It's a DRIVEWAY! So I went in and asked for another site which they gave me a little grief but allowed me to move. Let me tell you if you like being cozy with thy neighbors ( which I'm not opposed to) but this is a little close for comfort. Fire pit is across a driveway area about 50 ft away. I mean really for a fire pit. Anyways I could go on for a while about this site but I will spare you all the pain I have endured. Just not a site I would recommend even as a one night pit stop! The third picture is our first site. What a gem. 🤢

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3350.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	150531

Name:	IMG_3351.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	150532

Name:	IMG_3352.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	473.8 KB
ID:	150533

Tim
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #2

Looks like a large parking lot. Must be opposed to grass and trees. By the way do you have any Grey Poupon?
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hey at least the pop up is getting some shade from the MH awning.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #4

As I have been to the Dell's many times, I was surprised to see you got anything. LOL
Sorry to hear about not liking the campground.
We are in Colorado right now and had to find a place for the holiday or Walmart camp.
The one we found isn't 5 star, but does the job for us quite well and happy we found something for the holiday instead of Walmart.
Put it in the experience bag and try to have fun.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:37 PM   #5
Sham183

We have season passes to nohas ark so we are making the best out of it. It's a place to stay and it still beats $200+ for a hotel room.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #6

They keep their costs down by not having to mow grass and weeds.
HAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #7

We see this on the west coast from tme to time. Usually an older spot that was designed before large slide outs and all he nice things about today's RV's. Sometimes we return....usually not.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #8

At least the sewer outlets were further back on the 2nd site. Could have been directly in front of your door.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #9

So sorry you fell into the mount olympus pit (many of the places here in the dells are owned or partner with 1 of 3 families)
Next time you are in the area try sky high just down the road from the dells in portage just about any time you can get a last minute there and it's only 20 min from the dells

We live local and have driven through many of the dells grounds and wouldn't stay at them

This will probably be our last year with noahs ark season passes with the corporate ownership they are falong down hill
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #10

We stayed in a place like that over night in Northern Florida. Everything was good, just close and the price was right. Safer then a Walmart.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
So this weekend we are up in the Wisconsin dells. We thought we would have a good time by camping before the summer turns to winter and things get put away. It was a last minute idea to come to the dells but we were lucky to find a campground or so we thought. We are staying at American resort and campground. Reviews were ok and pictures were to. Well that's about where it ends. We get to the site and check in was smooth. Now the fun begins. We reserved a full hook up black top site. One of the few that were left. Wow I was a little surprised when we got to the actual camp site. This was in the middle of the driveway where they put 2 sewer holes in the ground and put a pedestal out for power and water. It's a DRIVEWAY! So I went in and asked for another site which they gave me a little grief but allowed me to move. Let me tell you if you like being cozy with thy neighbors ( which I'm not opposed to) but this is a little close for comfort. Fire pit is across a driveway area about 50 ft away. I mean really for a fire pit. Anyways I could go on for a while about this site but I will spare you all the pain I have endured. Just not a site I would recommend even as a one night pit stop! The third picture is our first site. What a gem. ��Tim
Been there, done that! Often this is what you run into on a last minute venture. We've learned to make the best of it, because being PO'd isn't going to solve the problem, and it will ruin your whole outing. Just for GP, what did you pay for this "slot"?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #12

I think the area around Baraboo and the Wisconsin Dells Wi, is at a premium in cost, because all of the parks that we have stayed at have small sites. This year we went to Fox Hill RV Park, the sites there for full hook-ups was very very very narrow. In fact the sewer connection for the trailer next to ours was under our pick nick table. We moved the table but never used the table as we eat inside with the grandkids.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Been there, done that! Often this is what you run into on a last minute venture. We've learned to make the best of it, because being PO'd isn't going to solve the problem, and it will ruin your whole outing. Just for GP, what did you pay for this "slot"?

Really the cost wasn't all that bad for a full hookup site which is why I really didn't let it bother me to much plus it was last minute so we took what we could get. We paid with taxes and fees and it came with the water park and wildlife tickets included about $120 for the 2 nights.

We have stayed at a few sites in the dells over the last few years and so far the best one we have been to has been yogi bears. It's not the best but it has tons for the kids and it's a pretty clean campground. We have also stayed at Bonanza rv park and at Sherwood Forest campground. Those are not to bad either. But this is the adventure of camping trying find new adventures and places to go.

One more weekend left. We booked another weekend trip back to the dells for the last week they have everything open. So we will use our season passes again weather permitting for Noah's ark and have fun. We will be back to yogi bears. [emoji106]
Old 09-04-2017, 05:00 PM   #14

Thread hijack alert....

I'm going to be traveling thru the Dells. Madison area in a couple of weeks. Since I just need a 1 night site, electric only, I'm thinking of pulling into one of the area county parks. I can't reserve a site because they require 2 nights for a reservation. I'll be getting there on either a Tuesday or Wednesday. So far it looks like most sites are unreserved.
Any advice on this plan???
TIA.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #15

Country Roads

We have stayed at several campgrounds in the Dells and found that Country Roads has been the best all around for us. Their sites are not close and can handle most any size. One thing, they don't allow tents. And, we like to be out away from the crowds. Sure beats the awful motel experience we just had!
Rjforde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #16

We literally just got home from staying at the DellBoo campsite. We decided last minute to go up there for the weekend, and that was the only place that had sites available. It honestly, wasn't that bad. Close to Mirror Lake State Park, however not very close to other things. We would stay there again, it was really clean and the people were friendly.
mylifewithboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #17
Sham183

Just a friendly heads up on a campground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Thread hijack alert....

I'm going to be traveling thru the Dells. Madison area in a couple of weeks. Since I just need a 1 night site, electric only, I'm thinking of pulling into one of the area county parks. I can't reserve a site because they require 2 nights for a reservation. I'll be getting there on either a Tuesday or Wednesday. So far it looks like most sites are unreserved.
TIA.

This time of year for most sites you should be ok. Most are closing or will be closed by Halloween time. State parks may be a easy bet for you. So you should not have any reservation issues. Where are you planning on going? I can maybe recommend a few sites depending on your route and time frame.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Thread hijack alert....

TIA.
Try sky high outside of portage last weekend last minute full hook up non pull through was 46 a night week nights are cheaper and they always seem to have openings
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
This time of year for most sites you should be ok. Most are closing or will be closed by Halloween time. State parks may be a easy bet for you. So you should not have any reservation issues. Where are you planning on going? I can maybe recommend a few sites depending on your route and time frame.
We will be on our way from Rapid River Mi. Heading to Amana for Frog-Toberfest. Thinking that I've got a 5ish hour drive. Currently targeting Lake Farm Park at Capital City rec area.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #20
Sham183

Quote:
We will be on our way from Rapid River Mi. Heading to Amana for Frog-Toberfest. Thinking that I've got a 5ish hour drive. Currently targeting Lake Farm Park at Capital City rec area.

I know where lake farm is but have never stayed there. Just a little to close to home to consider it a camping trip with the family. It looks like a nice place and have never heard anything bad about it personally. Just a friendly heads up you are about 2-3 miles away from the wonderful city of Madison's poo poo plant [emoji90]. With the right wind you might get a little wiff.

On another note there are a few other areas you might look at.

Babcock park in McFarland wi. Also Viking village campground in stoughton wi and badgerland campground in stoughton. Those are pretty close to the lake farm park you are looking at. Within about 15 minutes or so. There are others I can give some info on I just have to get the names for you.

Tim

Tags
mpg