Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Site Team

Lake Catherine State Park, Hot Springs, AR

Just got back from a four day, three night stay at Lake Catherine State Park, near Hot Springs, Arkansas.

We have visited the park before, to let the kids ride the horses they have there near the park, and they rode the horses again on a trail ride this year. This time we camped and even rented a party barge from the park marina there, to let the kids go tubing.

We stayed at one of the AAA sites (#66) near the end of the park, but also nearest to the waterfall that is about 4/10ths of a mile away. The trail was just across from our site. These sites are also in the shallow end of the lake and the kids played in the water a lot (and it is cold water), but also went to the parks beach too,

Our camping neighbors were good, as was the whole experience. Our original intent was to take the kids to the Magic Springs amusement park in Hot Springs but my 19 year old got so much into the camping experience she didn't want to leave the park...so we will have to plan a return trip to go to Magic Springs.

Here are some pics of the ducks/geese that liked to stay around, as well as views from the lake while were on the party barge.

It was a great time and I highly recommend it. The park store there has more Lodge cast iron cookware than about any sporting goods store.

Having two teenage girls on this trip, I was so glad I had the insight to get a site with sewer. I had to dump twice in three days, as they filled the grey water tank up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lake catherine 001 (Large).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	33378   Click image for larger version

Name:	lake catherine 002 (Large).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	33379   Click image for larger version

Name:	lake catherine 003 (Large).jpg
Views:	281
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	33380   Click image for larger version

Name:	lake catherine 004 (Large).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	33381   Click image for larger version

Name:	lake catherine 005 (Large).jpg
Views:	168
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	33382  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #2

The family and I are headed up this weekend. Staying at KOA have not stayed at any RV parks there yet. All times in the past we were camper less and stayed in hotels. Checked out lake Catherine, Catherine's landing and KOA. Decided to stay at KOA because of its close proximity to magic springs but liking the looks of lake Catherine. Have to try it out next time. I usually go to Superlift ORV there but my jeep is busted so it won't make this trip.
Kamping Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Camper Less Camping

Great looking waterfall...when we lived in central LA, always wanted to get up there...closest we got was the KOA right down the road from Magic Springs!

Old 07-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #4

Well we are having a great time in Hot Springs. Unfortunately staying at KOA. Not that there's anything wrong with KOA. It's a nice park with a good pancake breakfast. We just like the more spacious lots at LCSP. And the lake views are icing on the cake. Camping area A is nice but the spots to get are in Area C. Lots 1-39 are water and electric only. 40-70 are full hook ups. And the hardest to get on weekends, lakeside especially.

Yes we spent a good deal of time driving around scoping it out while waiting on our reservation time at the local horse riding stables where my 5 year old got to ride solo for the first time. Thought he was the king cowboy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1703160418.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	35836  
Old 07-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #5

Also. There is a fire ban in effect too. No campfires. 😡😡😡
Old 07-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamping Junkie View Post
The family and I are headed up this weekend. Staying at KOA have not stayed at any RV parks there yet. All times in the past we were camper less and stayed in hotels. Checked out lake Catherine, Catherine's landing and KOA. Decided to stay at KOA because of its close proximity to magic springs but liking the looks of lake Catherine. Have to try it out next time. I usually go to Superlift ORV there but my jeep is busted so it won't make this trip.
Have stayed at all three. KOA least appealing. Cathrines Landing is really nice if you can snag a lakeside site. State parkmisnvery nice. Will never forget theceagles flying back and forth along the waters edge.
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
Carknocker Family

Staying there in a couple of weeks, Lake Catherine. One of our favorites. Think our campsite will be #58. Cant wait...
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote