Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #1

Lake Ouachita, Ark.

We're taking our Vibe to this state park in September and were curious about the elevation. Our current TV is a Kia Sorento. Also - we have site #25 and were told by the office that the lake is just a short walk down the hill so we'll be able to put in our kayaks. Can anyone confirm? Thanks
Old 07-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #2

There is a Lake Oachita in Arkansas, AR, you typed AK which is Alaska. May want to clarify to get the right formation.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wybdgrl View Post
We're taking our Vibe to this state park in September and were curious about the elevation. Our current TV is a Kia Sorento. Also - we have site #25 and were told by the office that the lake is just a short walk down the hill so we'll be able to put in our kayaks. Can anyone confirm? Thanks
It's not too bad at all going to Hot Springs, and just northwest to Lake Ouachita....as far as the main roads and elevation. You want have any problems in the least getting there from the south.

What route were you going to take to get there?

BTW, Lake Ouachita is a great clean lake. There are no houses allowed on it, which helps keep it clean. A lot of scuba divers go there too.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Looks like a great place to go. We might just try it in the spring for our 40th anniversary trip. Have fun!
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Carknocker Family

Never stayed at the State Park but many times at Brady Mountian. You should not have any trouble. I used to pull a Coleman Cheyenne with a Nissan Quest there. You will be fine, just hope your A/C works!
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
we have site #25 and were told by the office that the lake is just a short walk down the hill so we'll be able to put in our kayaks. Can anyone confirm? Thanks
Looking at their campground map, it appears there is a boat launch very near your campsite.

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/im...uachita-05.pdf

Here is also a personal website with pics, where someone stayed in campsite #26, that may help you from their description.

http://www.maliasmiles.com/ar/ouachitacamps.htm

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #7

Thanks, wmtire, I'd missed that boat launch nearby. We were planning on coming up 70 to 155(i think) as it looks like the most direct route to us.

Will it really still be that hot at the end of September? I was hoping for some nice cool Fall weather by then.

Thanks for your replies! You've eased my mind.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Carknocker Family

Fall around here is about Mid Oct or later. Been Modern gun hunting week before Thanksgiving and the leaves are still green. Will keep my fingers crossed for ya. I live about an hour from there.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks, wmtire, I'd missed that boat launch nearby. We were planning on coming up 70 to 155(i think) as it looks like the most direct route to us.

Will it really still be that hot at the end of September? I was hoping for some nice cool Fall weather by then.

Thanks for your replies! You've eased my mind.
Your welcome. I really like the Hot Springs area. We camped at Lake Catherine State Park in June, and are planning a return trip to most likely Lake Ouachita. If I go there before your trip, I'll scope out your site for you and let you know.

Being in North Louisiana, we usually get our first good cool snap in the late part of September, first of October. Hot Springs should be close to that same timing. It's not cold weather, just cooler weather (non 100+ days). I think you will be comfortable on your trip, and probably not too hot. Could be mid to high 80's during the day......but you never can predict the weather all the way. I don't think you will have to worry about snow at that time.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #10

Well, since we'll probably still be in the upper 90s-100s here it will be heavenly to be in the high 80s.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Looking at their campground map, it appears there is a boat launch very near your campsite.

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/im...uachita-05.pdf

Here is also a personal website with pics, where someone stayed in campsite #26, that may help you from their description.

Lake Ouachita State Park - Campgrounds
Wow, thank you for the link to your website. That's fantastic and gives us a better idea of the area. My Mother in law and her family grew up in Malvern / Arkadelphia so my wife spent a little time in the area as a kid but we've never done camping time in the Ozarks. Pretty sure we will this next spring.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #12

We live own by Galveston texas and went to Ouachita in the middle of October. We stayed in section c. We could see the marina from our spot. Really nice park.
eisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #13

Been to Ouachita State Park, but only stayed one night as we were en route home to TX after visiting Bull Shoals. It was a great trip and Ouachita was a nice park. I would like to go back for a longer stay. If I remember right, there is only one long uphill pull, but it is just after you turn a corner and you can't get a run at it. I think you will be fine.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #14

"...there is only one long uphill pull" - now I'm a bit worried. We are in the process of finding a truck, though, so maybe we'll be all set by the time we leave. Yes, thanks wmtire for that fantastic site! It looks beautiful!!!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Well, since we'll probably still be in the upper 90s-100s here it will be heavenly to be in the high 80s.
not sure if you have left yet but if not...2 of the last 3 nights i turned my ac off. last few days it has been low 90's and nights have been about 70. i'm about 30 miles from hot springs and ouchita. the good thing about that lake is you can pull up on an island and picnic, grill, maybe even camp. there's no residential shore lines. just remember it's a national park, buckle up, don't speed, those fed boys will stick ya! hot springs is a great place and if you go there i recommend eating at rolando's across central st. from the arlington. very unique menu and food, i think he is a chef from south america somewhere and she is an arkansas native and they combined recipes. casual, and reasonable prices and the food really is good.
rb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #16

We haven't left yet - leaving Thursday. I've been watching the temps and with the low in the 60s it will be perfect!! Oh, and I'm not worried about our ability to tow the camper. We are now the proud owners of a beautiful blue Ford F150 so we're ready to go! Thanks for all your info. We will definitely try out Rolando's, too. Happy Camping!!