Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2019, 11:56 PM   #1

Last minute camping June midwest

We have not gotten out as much as wanted this year and our plan for a big trip turned into a flight and hotel. I am good to drive 2 long days to go somewhere nice. DW really wants to go to glacier NP but it's a bit late for that as sites are all full and she is a planner so from KC what are available options...

We dont boondock but I have a generator so maybe.
DW is a planner and wants reserved sites but if everything is first come first serve I am open if I can get a reservation nearby.
Private or public campgrounds are fine.
30' trailer
We must have power power.
We can go without water but full hook ups are preferred by DW. She will go 3 days without sewer as she will not shower outside the trailer.
Someplace cool as DW hates the heat.
I can do up 500mi a day so 1000 from KC max as I dont want to drive more than 2 days to get there.
Much of the midwest has flooded so this has become a problem for the near water areas.
I am good with anything but DW wants day trips and things to do. She does not get around great so no hicking or biking.

We did Yellowstone and Rushmore last year in the trailer and just got back from Grand Canyon with family. We loved both but would like some different options and did not have time to plan something.

We looked at Michigan but that is busy season there as well.

Are we just trying to plan too much too late?
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:16 AM   #2

How would St Louis or the Ozarks work for you?

If I were starting from there and had a bunch of time and already visited the places you've mentioned, I'd think about planning a trip from KC to St Louis to Cave City to Nashville, to Memphis to Fayetteville back home again staying a couple days at each.

I'd think you'd be able to find a place to stay near each. Weekends might be tough but week days should be fine.

Glacier sounds like a big trip but if I were to do it, I'd look for places in Whitefish.

Maybe a trip to Theodore Roosevelt National Forest would work.

Hope some of those ideas help.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
How would St Louis or the Ozarks work for you?

If I were starting from there and had a bunch of time and already visited the places you've mentioned, I'd think about planning a trip from KC to St Louis to Cave City to Nashville, to Memphis to Fayetteville back home again staying a couple days at each.

I'd think you'd be able to find a place to stay near each. Weekends might be tough but week days should be fine.

Glacier sounds like a big trip but if I were to do it, I'd look for places in Whitefish.

Maybe a trip to Theodore Roosevelt National Forest would work.

Hope some of those ideas help.
Thanks!
I like the st Louis and Nashville idea.

We have camped all over most of the ozarks and Branson and we save those for weekend trips usually as we can hit them in 2-3hrs and go with friends.

I will also checkout Theodor roosevelt park. That looks interesting.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #4

Midwest is a mighty big area to ask about . . . how about Saylorville Lake in Iowa. Several campgrounds around it including COE. We stayed at Cherry Glen which is nice.

TR National Park is beautiful! Red Trail Campground is nice but gets really crowded during their annual musical festival so check ahead.

If going to western SD (Black Hills/Badlands) be sure to check on dates for Sturgis crowds.

Many lovely state parks in MN, all typically have electricity, sometimes water too. Some COEs here too. With 1000 mi. budget, you can get up along the "north shore" of Lake Superior along Hwy 61 which is very beautiful, many state parks along there. Or check out Pipestone National Monument in SW MN and nearby Lake Shetek State Park.

Quite a few nice state parks and state recreation areas in Nebraska. We've been to Pawnee SRA twice and it's a nice campground. W&E, dump station.

St. Louis, lots to see and you can go up in the Arch which is now a new National Park. KOA in Eureka will be close enough to drive there if you bring a toad or rent a car.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Midwest is a mighty big area to ask about . . . how about Saylorville Lake in Iowa. Several campgrounds around it including COE. We stayed at Cherry Glen which is nice.

TR National Park is beautiful! Red Trail Campground is nice but gets really crowded during their annual musical festival so check ahead.

If going to western SD (Black Hills/Badlands) be sure to check on dates for Sturgis crowds.

Many lovely state parks in MN, all typically have electricity, sometimes water too. Some COEs here too. With 1000 mi. budget, you can get up along the "north shore" of Lake Superior along Hwy 61 which is very beautiful, many state parks along there. Or check out Pipestone National Monument in SW MN and nearby Lake Shetek State Park.

Quite a few nice state parks and state recreation areas in Nebraska. We've been to Pawnee SRA twice and it's a nice campground. W&E, dump station.

St. Louis, lots to see and you can go up in the Arch which is now a new National Park. KOA in Eureka will be close enough to drive there if you bring a toad or rent a car.
Thanks for feedback. What are some good parks in MN to check availability on? This is busy season there too but would like to look up a few there to see if there are options open.

We did black hills last year. There are many more parks to visit but she seems to want to go somewhere else.

We are looking in western Colorado as well but things are tight and finding a park I think is possible but proving a little difficult.

I have a TT so no toad required but I do need at least 30 ft.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #6

There are lots of parks in MN but I’m not sure how many can fit your needs. There should be quite a few!

If you use this site, you can search by date and RV length and it will show you your choices:

https://reservemn.usedirect.com/MinnesotaWeb/

On the closer end, I’d recommend looking at Great River Bluffs, Forestville/Mystery Caves, Lake Shetek (large park and recreation lake), and Blue Mounds (bison herd!).

On the longer end I’d suggest looking at Cascade River (on a river which does indeed cascade down into Lake Superior), Judge C.R. Magney (It has the Devil’s Kettle, amazing to see!), Temperance River, Tettegouche, Gooseberry Falls (no electric). The later 3 are all river and falls through parks!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1209.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	207861
Old 06-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
There are lots of parks in MN but I’m not sure how many can fit your needs. There should be quite a few!

If you use this site, you can search by date and RV length and it will show you your choices:

https://reservemn.usedirect.com/MinnesotaWeb/

On the closer end, I’d recommend looking at Great River Bluffs, Forestville/Mystery Caves, Lake Shetek (large park and recreation lake), and Blue Mounds (bison herd!).

On the longer end I’d suggest looking at Cascade River (on a river which does indeed cascade down into Lake Superior), Judge C.R. Magney (It has the Devil’s Kettle, amazing to see!), Temperance River, Tettegouche, Gooseberry Falls (no electric). The later 3 are all river and falls through parks!
Attachment 207861
Thanks for the link. That will make it much easier!
Old 06-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #8

midwest

Coralville ? sp core of engineers project.

Near Iowa City , Iowa might be something to look at.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti View Post
Coralville ? sp core of engineers project.

Near Iowa City , Iowa might be something to look at.
We did lake red rock last month. I will look this one up. What is there to do nearby? DW is always looking for things to see that dont involve hiking and biking.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #10

This is kinda why we purchased our cabin and acreage last fall. With the spike in RV sales over the last few years, just in our state alone there is now about a 5 to 1 ratio of RV's to campsites. Use to be you could go Friday after work and get a non reserve site for the weekend. Now, if you don't have your RV on a site by Tues, Weds....forget it...they're all booked up. You can find some sites during the week, but forget weekends. Most of our SP's are booked for the summer right after Jan 1st. If you don't have all your stays planned by then, fat chance of getting a reservation later in the year.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #11

Did you try looking around Empire MI., this is up around Sleeping Bear Dunes in MI. We stayed at Indigo Bluffs a great campground/resort. I believe the campground will fill up fast but the resort does not as the price is a little higher.

You can also try Poncho's Pond in Ludington MI, Duck Creek Resort in Muskegon MI. I believe these parks should have some sites opened when you want to travel. Another campground that should have some sites open would be Sunnybrook RV resort in South Haven MI.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
<snip>With the spike in RV sales over the last few years, just in our state alone there is now about a 5 to 1 ratio of RV's to campsites.<snip>

I read a couple years ago (close to 1 million RVs sold since then) that there were 18 registered RVs for every 1 campsite nationwide.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #13

We enjoyed the Ozark National Scenic Riverways. We camped at Missouri’s Echo Bluff State Park. A fairly new park well kept full hookups. Day trips along the National Riverways.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5256.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	520.9 KB
ID:	207982Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5250.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	207981
okie dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:09 AM   #14

You could try Gull Lake NRA outside of Brainerd, MN. This NRA is one of the MOST well cared for campgrounds we've ever stayed at. In Wisconsin there is Wyalusing SP just south of Prairie du Chen, WI. This SP is on top of a bluff looking down into Prairie du Chen as well as the where the Wisconsin River dumps into the Mississippi River. Some of the sites are right on the edge of the bluff looking down into the valley. I know that there is at least one campsite in that line of sites that has E/W, most other sites have E/W. Then there is Pikes Peak SP at McGregor, IA, straight across the Mississippi River from Prairie du Chen, WI. with the same views but in the opposite direction and again this SP is on top of a bluff. This is God's Country!
Old 06-24-2019, 07:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
I read a couple years ago (close to 1 million RVs sold since then) that there were 18 registered RVs for every 1 campsite nationwide.
Would not surprise me a bit if that's the latest ratio.
Drove by a State park Wednesday night and the "Campground Full" sign was already at entrance. That's for both Reserve and Non-reserve sites for the entire weekend.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
We have not gotten out as much as wanted this year and our plan for a big trip turned into a flight and hotel. I am good to drive 2 long days to go somewhere nice. DW really wants to go to glacier NP but it's a bit late for that as sites are all full and she is a planner so from KC what are available options...

We dont boondock but I have a generator so maybe.
DW is a planner and wants reserved sites but if everything is first come first serve I am open if I can get a reservation nearby.
Private or public campgrounds are fine.
30' trailer
We must have power power.
We can go without water but full hook ups are preferred by DW. She will go 3 days without sewer as she will not shower outside the trailer.
Someplace cool as DW hates the heat.
I can do up 500mi a day so 1000 from KC max as I dont want to drive more than 2 days to get there.
Much of the midwest has flooded so this has become a problem for the near water areas.
I am good with anything but DW wants day trips and things to do. She does not get around great so no hicking or biking.

We did Yellowstone and Rushmore last year in the trailer and just got back from Grand Canyon with family. We loved both but would like some different options and did not have time to plan something.

We looked at Michigan but that is busy season there as well.

Are we just trying to plan too much too late?

Dbledan, where did you end up camping? Any photos? Hoping you had a great time
Old 07-05-2019, 01:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie dokie View Post
Dbledan, where did you end up camping? Any photos? Hoping you had a great time
Was away at scout camp in tents for 10 days and just got back. Hot but doable in the evenings. It helps that I have a cooling pad to sleep on.

We have 1 reservation in Colorado in Durango in 2 weeks. DW wants to see San Juan National forest and maybe four corners area if we are able to find something. May just end up doing a day trip to four corners from where we have a spot reserved.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #18

Ended up on Ouray Colorado (first photo). It's a small old mining town that has become an off roading town. It is not too pretentious and full of friendly people. We rented a jeep and abused it one day getting lots of help from an FJ cruiser club that was also super friendly.

Stopped in Colorado Springs along the way for a night (the RV lot and mountain view) and Meuller state park on the way back (second photo). Had to go with electric only sites. Came close with 4 days to filling the grey and black tanks as the DW will only shower and use the bathroom in the camper but we made doo....pun intended.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I have a few more trips to plan this year and everyone had great ideas that I plan on stealing for some of them.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_202458.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	210223Click image for larger version

Name:	20190718_170928.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	210224Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_132216.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	210225Click image for larger version

Name:	20190714_065845.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	210226Click image for larger version

Name:	20190715_162019.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	210227
Old 07-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Ended up on Ouray Colorado (first photo). It's a small old mining town that has become an off roading town. It is not too pretentious and full of friendly people. We rented a jeep and abused it one day getting lots of help from an FJ cruiser club that was also super friendly.

Stopped in Colorado Springs along the way for a night (the RV lot and mountain view) and Meuller state park on the way back (second photo). Had to go with electric only sites. Came close with 4 days to filling the grey and black tanks as the DW will only shower and use the bathroom in the camper but we made doo....pun intended.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I have a few more trips to plan this year and everyone had great ideas that I plan on stealing for some of them.Attachment 210223Attachment 210224Attachment 210225Attachment 210226Attachment 210227

Good choice Dbledan. Looks beautiful! I’m happy a good time was had by all

Tags
camping